Did you discuss religion to your loveone?

I believe most Chinese are buddists and most Americans are either Christians, Jewish, Arab, or into other religions. Do you want your Chinese loveone to convert to your religion? If you do, you better tell her/him now before you get engaged or married. It can lead to serious problem. My mom is a buddist and she likes to burn incense. My eyes get irritated when that happens.

Religion can be very controversial. So please don't bash other people's religions.

I'm very lucky, My pl and I share the same religion. She attends a Christian church in Shanghai, and I go to a nondenominational Christian church here in the states. Not sure if it is a good idea to mix religions and don't think I could have married someone of another faith. Not that I object to what other persons believes or expect that someone should believe like I do (everyone has to work out their own salvation), but having some common ground is important.

My lp and I do not agree on every point in our faith, but I'm glad for that. I'm sure that everyone has misguided concepts about the creator, not anyone can fully comprehend the idea of a supreme being. So if she believes just like I do then she has wrong concepts too. Hopefully our correct concepts will cancel out each other misconceptions.

I'm more interested in converting her into a baseball fan. :( ;)

So, has anyone noticed that the Cleveland Indians have moved up to 2nd place in the AL central?

:D :P :D

Ha, ha ~!

eeyore, nice post ~!

(no, I wasn't aware that the Clev. Indians were in second place in the AL central......

(but part of the reason I wasn't is because my local newspaper: "The Oregonian" --- is one of those that is so politically correct, that it refuses to name teams that take "Native American" names...

...... I have in the back of my mind starting, (and coaching) a little league team called the: "Red Skins" ----- but my "red skins" would be potatos....... GO SPUDS~! Wonder if the Oregonian would print our name in the Metro Sports section.....

Back to the topic: I am a Christian --- not a very good one, (not even a member of a church..) and know that some Candle members have been offended by my posts --- (early May --- one even resigned his membership over a discussion I was a part of.... )

... it was about the very hot button Right to Life issue that we all know well ....

.... But the thing is, my opinion about that issue wasn't shaped by Christian Faith --- it was shaped by my experience adopting in China....

Yes, Fei is very curious about Christianity, and I expect we will attend Church, (as she wants... but coming from a good Communist upbringing, I'm sure not going to push it..)

My issues, are with my own soul........

--- Kim

In Hong Kong, the major religions are Buddhism and Taoism, plus there is Confucianism, ancestor worship, and other local Chinese religions. But there are also about 500,000 Christians, 50,000 or so Muslims, and smaller percentages of other major religions.

Lai and I are both devout Christians, very active in our churches. Accordingly, our religious beliefs were a major topic at the beginning, though since we met on a Christian singles' site, there weren't any major surprises. Her family was Buddhist when she was small, but since has all become Christian. We are of different denominations, I'm Lutheran and she is a sort of Baptist, but we have agreement on the essentials

I don't think it would have worked if we didn't share a common faith.

I was raised Christian - Methodist. Jun was taught Atheism. I think now, I could best be described as "Diest"(though I'm not sure how to spell it :P), Jun "Agnostic". Both kind of grey area non-religions which overlap somewhat.

I do agree with Scott that if two people are of different religions (especially if they are devout) it could possibly be disasterous to a relationship.

My roommate when I was in the military, met a girl online when we were in Korea (from his hometown no less), and they began a long-distance relationship. Religion never really came up. Both of them were raised catholic, but he was agnostic. Several years later when they had been engaged for quite some time, and planning marriage - she brought the subject up. She had become somewhat more devout, and was worried for his soul and wanted him to "come back to the church" as it were. He tried to blow it off, but it kept coming up more and more and causing bigger and bigger arguments until finally they called off the engagement.

We're both "nothing." We hate going to church/temple and believe time is better spent with family. Good values can be taught in the home based on traditions we learned in our upbringing...and it sure is a lot cheaper. No money plates to fill...no tithing to pay...no extortion from clergy.

Yunling and I are both Christians.....really do not know what the rest of her family is, and I guess you'd have to say we are 'non-participatory' in church going. We don't really discuss down deep beliefs as I was taught to NEVER discuss religion or politics to deeply with someone you want to keep as a friend. Used to go when I was a child to Sunday school, but now....only weddings and funerals usually get me into a church..We have our beliefs of a higher more supreme, created all being, but feel that he's just as happy with us believeing in him (her?) than nothing at all.

We're both "nothing."  We hate going to church/temple and believe time is better spent with family.  Good values can be taught in the home based on traditions we learned in our upbringing...and it sure is a lot cheaper.  No money plates to fill...no tithing to pay...no extortion from clergy.

My feelings exactly Dave.

I don't think Wei Ping has any religious beliefs (although every time we visited a Buddhists Pagoda she bowed three times to the Buddha :huh: )

I believe in God but not religion. Being brought up Catholic and hearing the priest brow beat the people for more money so he could drive a new car and have a cook and a maid just didn't seem very Christian.

I was brought up a catholic and an Irish one at that.

Bea is..? but I'd guess her mom is a buddists as she does the incense and other offerings at holidays.

As for what we will do in the future, we are not sure beyond a baptism and in my home town church. As for what people invited wil think of this... it is for them to decide, for me and Bea, it is a chance to get together with some people, make a tie to where I grew up and celebrate.

If peoples thoughts should turn to deeper, simpler things so be it.

Mark and Bea

A little expansion on this topic.

Three things that should be discussed immediately is:

Religion

Politics

Money

Children

Opps...that's four.  :blink:

Hmmm religion, we are like Dave, nothing. I suppose Bing is kind of Budhist but not strongly.

Politics, Bing isnt interested. She says in China it makes no difference so no one cares.

Money, We get by we don't have much to spare. We talked it over extensively before she came here. I layed it all out for her and didn't pull any punches. Money in my opiinion is probably the most important to discuss of the 4.

Children is a non issue for us. I'm 50 she is 47 won't be no pups from us. I don't have any children and Bing has one son 21. He doesn't seem much interested in coming here but probably at some point we will start the process for a visa for him as well.

Kishi and I are both committed Christians. It was the first think we dicussed before we began our relationship. We pray and read the Bible together and she also participates in a Bible study that is held here at a friends house via Yahoo messenger with audio and web cam. This is an important part of our lives while we are awaiting the visa but will be even more so when we marry.

Dave,

Kellee and I are pretty much the same as you. Kellee¡¦s mom, however is a very devout Buddhist who makes her annual tithe (substantial amount) to her local temple in China. One of the little unpleasant aspects of living in the Salt Lake City area is having to put up with the LDS ¡§missionaries¡¨ who keep pounding on my door.