Chinese Clothes sizes??

I am trying to locate sizing information and have had no luck on the internet. My girlfriend stated her pants length was 2.95 ruler. What in the world is a ruler? I could find no reference to this. Also what does a 38M correspond to in U.S. size? I think a medium, but not sure.

Thanks!

What?!!!!!!!!!! Are you crazy? Are you going to buy clothes for your girlfriend before she has had a chance to see them and everything else in the store?

Tell her that American sizes will not fit her lovely body, back away slowly, keep your eyes focused on the ground, and try not to startle her. Remember, your life is in jeopardy here.

You're a very brave man. :greenblob:

What?!!!!!!!!!!  Are you crazy?  Are you going to buy clothes for your girlfriend before she has had a chance to see them and everything else in the store?

Tell her that American sizes will not fit her lovely body, back away slowly, keep your eyes focused on the ground, and try not to startle her.  Remember, your life is in jeopardy here.

You're a very brave man. :greenblob:

So true. Don't buy it before she try it. Chinese girls are very picky. I bought a nice scarf and sent it to her and she gave it to her mom. :greenblob:

I know a bit about Chinese/American sizes- Chinese sizes for shirts go from 160-175- a 175 is about a size 10 in US sizes- 170 is an 8- 165 is a 7- 160 is a 6- and maybe they go smaller also- pants sizes are done by the waist measurement and I have found a lot of pants that do western inches measurements. Chinese girls are quite a bit smaller than American girls and so you might have a hard time finding sizes- but she is probably a size 6 or less in US sizes- but- whatever you get as long as you keep the tags she can return it- and the point is the thought- just that you were thinking of her is sure to make any woman happy.

Save your money and go clothes shopping together!!! It will be a good experience for both of you!

As far as sizes, it's anybody's guess. When I was in China, no store had my size... I have a football players build. At some tourist spots, many vendors made the point to tell me their T-shirts were in American sizes. Some were some weren't.

I'd have to agree with the majority of people here: go shopping with her.

If she's from Southern China (HK, SZ, etc), finding things in US sizes won't be too tough. That 2.95 looks like its probably meters, but keep in mind she might be measuring from the waist to the cuff (as opposed to the inseam).

Ring sizing for me was tough. Sometimes she would give me her size in metric, other times in UK (which is completely different), and sometimes close -- but not quite -- her size in the US. In the end, I just looked for someone with similar sized fingers and guessed. Luckily I was right on :P

I'd have to agree with the majority of people here: go shopping with her.

If she's from Southern China (HK, SZ, etc), finding things in US sizes won't be too tough.  That 2.95 looks like its probably meters, but keep in mind she might be measuring from the waist to the cuff (as opposed to the inseam).

Ring sizing for me was tough.  Sometimes she would give me her size in metric, other times in UK (which is completely different), and sometimes close -- but not quite -- her size in the US.  In the end, I just looked for someone with similar sized fingers and guessed.  Luckily I was right on :P

Ring size chart

Another ring guide

Regarding Ring sizes....

I purchased Fei's engagement ring from the Blue Nile web site --- (very informative, and huge inventory) website, since I didn' know anything about diamonds...

Spent some time on the site, and then called the 1-800 # and had several conversations (over several days) with a very experienced representitive, (Sam) who was anything but pushy, just very much enjoyed working with customers, and sharing his knowledge.. (only went to the web site because of the opposite experience in retail jewellers here in Portland)... Ended up with a smaller, high quality diamond at a good price...

But when it came to sizing the ring, I was at a loss --- I wanted to surprise Fei in Feb. when I saw her next in Thailand... of course, she knew something was up, I had asked her what her ring size was in Sept. 03, ---she had it measured, and e-mailed me that her size was 12.

12 what?

I asked Sam, and he checked with others he had worked with --- he also had the charts that se_lang published, and while the HK measurement seemed to be the closest, he wasn't sure... Wanted to do more checking, and finally tracked down an older guy he had worked with years earlier, who told him: Japan --- Not Hong Kong -- was probably the most accurate sizing comparison to PR China..

So---held my breath and went with that---

---- PERFECT FIT! And big success! (with all the "rewards" that went along with that in Thailand !! :huh: )

A Ruler? lol..that is cute! It is just so sweeeet. OK..I guess I know what she means of A Ruler.

A Ruler is One Foot=12 Inch, 1/3Yard, 0.3048 Meter

:unsure: Hope you do not mind that I am smiling and laughing upon such cute, lovely expression of measuring unit.

Hugs.

SeaSame

Did you buy the wedding band at the same time? I bought Bing's engagement ring here in Portland before I went to China the first time. When I went over in April to straighten out the blue slip mess we picked out matching wedding bands in Nanning. We couldn't find any Chinese gold that matched color. American gold is less pure and has nickel in it. Chinese gold is less yellow and more of a gold color. She found ones she liked and even though the engagement ring and wedding band don't quite match I could care less. Bing likes them and thats all that counts.

Yeah, Carl,

At Blue Nile you select a stone and also the band ... Or I guess, you could just buy the diamond, or just the band... You can get platinum or gold or white gold or of course, gold/gold.. Blue Nile uses 18c gold as a combination of strength + color. 24c is too soft, and anything less than 18c starts to look off color. They use exclusively platinum for the prongs? --or what ever those things are called that hold the diamond in place...

My wife and I bought our wedding rings in a really nice store in Chongqing.

I was checking out the sizes and couldn't find one that fit. The girl behind the counter says "we make it fit, no problem"

I thought they would stretch the ring. Instead I now own a 'one size fits all'.

They cut it!!!!! :P

I was checking out the sizes and couldn't find one that fit. The girl behind the counter says "we make it fit, no problem"

no worries. just get it mended at a jeweler in the states. I had to do the same with my wedding band (hands got really swollen when I was pregnant :P )

Taz

They resized mine in Nanning. It fits fine.