Parents got a visa

I have not posted much here lately, guess I got lost in the new wave of people joining over the last year. Anyway time for my first post in many moons.

Wo de tai tai is pregnant and delivery date is August 20, so her parents were frantic in trying to get a visa to be here for the big day and take care of only daughter and brand new grandson. They tried to get a visa earlier in the year and were turned down by some idiot behind a window. They returned for interview number 2 on May 17 and were granted a visa. Weird thing about their visas is that daddy got a multiple entry visa good for about a year and mommy got a visa that ranges in date from May 18 - Aug 16. At first they did not understand everything about the dates and things so they thought the mom could only stay until August 16 so they were happy and sad at the same time, but now they know that she has until August 16 to enter the country. They are hoping to get a stamp at the airport that lets them stay for about 6 months.

Do any of you think this is possible, since my tai tai is pregnant and needs her parents to help out, and of course they plan to buy a ticket with return sometime in December in hopes they can get a visa for that long.

P.S.

They said it looked like about 90% of people were getting visas that day and they are now taking interviews again, because my wifes uncle got an interview date yesterday for some busienss he has here. Maybe that little break they took is gonna be a good thing in the long run.

If the baby is coming in August then she is already very very pregnant and you just now told us about it!!!! Well, thanks for dropping by and updating us all on how things are going. I am glad for you two to be happy. That is great that mama and papa got visas, really amazing!!!! They are going to be some extremely happy grandparents.

Just about the only advice I can think of is be over prepared and pray that you get a nice interviewer. Like I said they got turned down the first time and then they got the same person the second time also. They were terrified when they saw they were going back to his window. As it turned out though he asked them if he had turned them down before and when they said yes he told them to go to a different window and it worked. They were given no real reason the first for the refusal, just that stupid blue piece of paper saying the general reasons. This time ba ba went prepared to fight until he got a visa or real reason for refusal at least, so it looks lilke confidence and refusal to give up is the main thing you need when dealing with the idiots in the embassy.

Guest Long_strider

Yuqing's parents are here for a visit now. When they arrived at LAX they were issued the I-94 allowing them to officially stay for 6 months, even though in their application they indicated plans to only stay 6 weeks.

Mi

Is there anything you can do to help the guy in the line lean more towards 6 months, or does that time period just seem to be common anyway. They plan to buy a ticket with return in early December which would be six months, I am going to guess that is about all they can do to guarantee a longer stay, along with saying they are coming to visit their pregnant daughter and spend time with their brand new grand son.

Is there anything you can do to help the guy in the line lean more towards 6 months, or does that time period just seem to be common anyway.  They plan to buy a ticket with return in early December which would be six months, I am going to guess that is about all they can do to guarantee a longer stay, along with saying they are coming to visit their pregnant daughter and spend time with their brand new grand son.

Daniel...

We're about to start the visa process for my wife's father. Since you've had such recent success, would you mind posting a detailed list of the steps you took? Our baby is two months now....is that a good enough reason to justify the visa?

Congrats on all the rest. Exciting times!

I will try to form a list in a day or two about what they did, but right now I can't think of anything that wasn't listed in the requirements. They do own property in 3 different provinces and ba ba does have a job that pays an American salary I am going to think that had a lot to do with it.

Guest Long_strider

Daniel,

Have them apply for a tourist visa. Watch the time carefully for the appointment for the interview. The visa is issued for a window of approximately 90 days to begin the travel. We asked to travel in June, but becauase the interview and visa issuance was in Feburary, they have to entry before June. The actual visa that they receive only contains dates for issue and expiration of the right to enter the USA, the visa does not state the expiration of the time they may remain in the USA, that is based upon the actual entry date and the issuance of the I-94. It's good for 6 months.

Dave

When applying for the tourist visa, it is ok to mention the baby, but I would encourage them to also cite reasons for visiting to see various tourist sites. This emphasis a broader reason for entering.

Also please note that different consulates have "different attitudes" about visas for tourists. Shanghai is notably difficult while GZ is more lenient for tourist visa, according to the information I have heard.

The GZ website contains much details about applying for the tourist visa with downloads for both chinese and english forms.

Wish you luck!

Mi

They already have the visa, but we have heard that the decision as to how long you stay ultimately lies in the hands of the officer at the customs line in the airport. Does anyone know of any tips or tricks to make them see that it would be good to get a 6 month stay?

Congratulations!!! A new born baby's coming to town as well as the mommy and daddy:-)

I was surprised to see that actually your Tai tai's from Changsha!I'm from the same province-Hunan,hehe,and my English name Diana has been followed me since i was 13. Surprised again to see your Tai tai's English name's as same as mine!

I just got to the U.S on my k1 visa less than a month ago and so far i like it here a lot. Getting married in 2 weeks and hoping to get some advice from you during our process of the AOS:-)

Good luck to you and your Tai tai!!

Congratulations!!! A new born baby's coming to town as well as the mommy and daddy:-)

I was surprised to see that actually your Tai tai's from Changsha!I'm from the same province-Hunan,hehe,and my English name Diana has been followed me since i was 13. Surprised again to see your Tai tai's English name's as same as mine!

I just got to the U.S on my k1 visa less than a month ago and so far i like it here a lot. Getting married in 2 weeks and hoping to get some advice from you during our process of the AOS:-)

Good luck to you and your Tai tai!!

We would be happy to give any info we can, but we were married in China and Diana came here on a CR1 visa so she did not have to go through the same steps most of the other girls here did. She received her greencard about 3 or 4 weeks after she arrived and her social security about the same time. When she arrived she was already a temporary permanent resident. So all we have to do now is wait for the time to remove her temporary status and then become a citizen if she wants to.

Dave if you have any specific questions please ask, I am getting ready to give finals to my students and getting the house ready for Chinese parents, I will make a list soon if you want me to though.

I will try to form a list in a day or two about what they did, but right now I can't think of anything that wasn't listed in the requirements.  They do own property in 3 different provinces and ba ba does have a job that pays an American salary I am going to think that had a lot to do with it.

How long did the process take for them to get the Visa? Jennifer is going to have a baby in August around the 20 also, so we want her parents to be here then or soon after to help in taking care of her.

They tried the first time in January and were turned down, and then tried again last week and got it. They will be here in about 2 weeks, they got the interview date about 2 or 3 weeks after they called for it, and got the visa the same day. They had to get everything in order and we sent our most recent tax forms over there for them. They mainly they have things in China that will draw them back without a doubt.