ALL VISAS are on hold!!!

A suggestion to all considering the K-1 process to bring a loved one home....Get a lawyer! Too many details to miss, and each missed detail can add weeks to your wait. Also, it's good to have an attorney prepare a formal case, and include an appeal as part of his fee. This is what i did.

Even with a hired gun I feel nervous. So much negative news about the GZ visa process and interviews, idiot officers whose sole purpose is to make misery for others. the biggest pile of crap I've heard is where the interviewing officer tests the chinese fiance with double negative questions and english proficiency questions. language proficiency IS NOT one of the legal qualifiers. This kind of B.S. reflects abuse of power...I can't believe my money goes to pay for this crap.

From the get go the two main things that are stressed are 1.....evidence of aserious relationship (calls , letters, etc) 2 )that you have met in the past 2 years 3) that income level is sufficient to cover household and support toatl number in household.

Damn right it makes me angry !

Alex

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A suggestion to all considering the K-1 process to bring a loved one home....Get a lawyer! Too many details to miss, and each missed detail can add weeks to your wait. Also, it's good to have an attorney prepare a formal case, and include an appeal  as part of his fee. This is what i did.

Even with a hired gun I feel nervous. So much negative news about the GZ visa process and interviews, idiot officers whose sole purpose is to make misery for others. the biggest pile of crap I've heard is where the interviewing officer tests the chinese fiance with double negative questions and english proficiency questions. language proficiency IS NOT one of the legal qualifiers. This kind of B.S. reflects abuse of power...I can't believe my money goes to pay for this crap.

From the get go the two main things that are stressed are 1.....evidence of aserious relationship (calls , letters, etc) 2 )that you have met in the past 2 years  3)  that income level is sufficient to cover household and support toatl number in  household.

Damn right it makes me angry !

Alex

Alex,

I hired a lawyer for the K1 Visa. You are correct about the details that are easy to miss. However, I paid a lot of money for him to tell me to send him papers so he could spend maybe an hour to fill out forms. After the K1 was approved and my fiancee came to America, my lawyer was no where to be found. I think many would agree that, if you have the means, a lawyer is OK but check his work. A lawyer has no emotional investment in the process. They get paid up front.

As for language not being a legal requirement. Maybe so but according to my attorney the ability to "communicate in a common language" is part of proof of relationship. My fiancee spoke very little English at the time of the interview in GZ but got the visa with no problem. I know others who spoke no English and had no problem. Still others who spoke fair English and were temporarily declined because of "communication difficulties.

"Damn right I'm angry." We all were and still are. The system is open for many abuses of power. But when all is said and done---it is worth all the BS you have to endure. :blink:

Trigg

PS--welcome to CFL. Lots of knowledgeable people here that can, and will, help you. :D

I've read mix reviews about visa lawyers.

It's obvious but make sure you get a GOOD one! I've heard most just do what could be done by one's self. Plus they add a middle-man to the process which increases the waiting time.

I suppose having one would be nice if things go bad, assuming they will go to bat for you.

Just to add a little about lawyers, and the one I chose. Not meaning it to be a commercial, but you should definately check what services they offer. Many of them only fill out YOUR form, not your fiancee's, and offer no support after USCIS approvel - when things are more likely to go south. Some won't do appeals, some will do one, some will do one at a discount rate. Some charge you for all communications with the USCIS, Embassy, Your fiancee, etc.

John Roth will fill out my form and express mail it to me for no extra charge to sign, through limited power of attorney will fill out her forms for her. Supports the embassy process, will pre-fill most of her forms for the embassy, so she will have them ready before even receiving the packets. They have called me multiple times to answer questions, will call my fiancee if she has questions (at their cost), will appeal as long as an appeal is possible, will even call her at length just before her interview to make sure she has everything in order and do some "role-play interviews". If they have their guangzhou paralegal in place by the time of her interview, instead of that call she will see them in their office. All of this is flat rate. The only extra charge is if we want his office to obtain translations for us (which I didn't use). I think it's a very good choice, for me anyway.

Again, I'm REALLY not here just to promote John Roth... not on the payroll really... :angry: I just think for someone considering a lawyer, they should definately include him in their potential choices.

-Jason

I find this all confusiing, and it upsets me greatly that they keep us

on hold and do not give us any clear answers.

I went today to speak with my US Rep, Porter Goss. I spoke with

his person that handles the visas. She has promised me to look

into it and find out what exactly is going on. It seems like they will

pick things up after the may holiday week, I hope so. In any case, I

will let you know what Porter Goss's office comes up with.

Peace and God Bless all.

I have one thing to add on hiring vs. not hiring a lawyer- I did hire one. But I was afraid of the lawyers on the internet- some of who can find you a girl and get the visa. I hired a lawyer from Nashville- and it's been okay- although she never received my first approval in the states and I thought my visa was still somewhere in the US until I received packet 3 in March (from July 2003 to March 2004). But it was helpful to me to have her help us fill out the information. Even though one poster said as long as you were careful and throrough it would be fine- I think when you calculate the level of nerves that I certainly had and I think others as well- upon starting the process- it is important. But be very careful about the contract you sign. My lawyer charges extra money for phone calls and emails- even to me- even about the case. The phone calls are especially high and though this is the normal practice for most attorneys- it can really add up if your not careful- I told my lawyer just to email me any info.

Something to consider,

I didn't use a lawyer, just what is now starting to look like a third rate paralegal to fill out the forms. There were several mistakes that I caught before I submitted the application for the I130 and I129f. At this point in the delay game I sure wish I had hired a GOOD lawyer from the begining, that way I would know that I have done everything possible to avoid causing a "hit" on our secondary namecheck. I lie awake every nlght wondering how we got into this nightmare. It could easily be some minor detail that I overlooked.

Something to consider,

I didn't use a lawyer, just what is now starting to look like a third rate paralegal to fill out the forms. There were several mistakes that I caught before I submitted the application for the I130 and I129f.  At this point in the delay game I sure wish I had hired a GOOD lawyer from the begining, that way I would know that I have done everything possible to avoid  causing a "hit"  on our secondary namecheck.  I lie awake every nlght wondering how we got into this nightmare. It could easily be some minor detail that I overlooked.

Dave,

Do not play the "What If" game... It will tear you apart.

As far as I can tell, these "namechecks" can be very random. Consider Patrick and Li.... They got a second name check done because multiple people showed up the same day with similar names.

From what I can see, the effort that the USA is spending on "false alarms" is way out of proportion to the actual risk to the country.

Obviously if the USA deports a person for some extreme reason, we don't want to turn around and give that person a visa again. But, these excessive delays are ridiculous.

I wonder if the FBI keeps fingerprints in their files... All they would have to do is compare our fiancee's fingerprints with their files to get get a positive or negative ID match..... Oh, they have never bothered to ask for the fingerprints yet.... They haven't even asked for our fiancee's police records yet..... I am glad our government designs everything around playing with a half deck of cards.

:lol: :o :P :P

It has been nearly 3 weeks since I left the voicemail for the FBI, and over 2 weeks since the fax.... Nothing from the FBI.

Have you had any luck?

----- Clifford -----

I met with The Porter Goss staff last tuesday, may fourth.

They emailed the consulant for a progress report.

This is what they had to say,

When Ms.() file for review is complete, the IV Unit will schedule her

formal interview. Due to the high volume of immigrant visa applicants

being scheduled at this time our best guestimation for her interview

will be mid-july to mid-August. We are always hopeful for earlier scheduling. Once Ms. () interview is scheduled her appointment

packet with instructions will be sent approximately four weeks prior

to her interview date to allow time for delivery and for Ms. () to make final preperation for her interview. The appointment packet will be sent to the address of the record via curior mail.

We started this process last june, and sent in packet three on march 10.

This is one sorry visa process, in my opinion.

215dave

It could take 3-4 weeks from my experience of over 20 requests or maybe more time.

If you are asking about a clearance the FBI will tell you that it has or has not competed the clearance, when they sent the completed clearance to DOS and if they have not yet received a clearance request.

Good luck on a speedy process.

Thanks for the info Danny Jade.

We are right at your time slot with our P3 arriving at GZ March 15.

As I mentioned before, P4's were getting back to people pretty quickly until the end of April when the Call Center fiasco happened.

I called the DOS on May 11 and they said everything is still on hold.

Your info is the first solid news in about 3 weeks. Thanks again.