Legitimate marriage?

Here's another question I have to let y'alls brains munch on. (That's my Britney Spears impersonation):

It seems like you have to provide proof that your marriage is legitimate to the immigration dude/tte to get the visa for your honeydew, like photographs of you together, letters from relatives, etc.

I was just wondering if pregnancy would be considered proof?

I mean, if my wife went to the interview pregnant, wouldn't that suffice?

Just curious.

Michael

P.S. This is assuming that the child is mine, of course. :unsure:

I was just wondering if pregnancy would be considered proof?  

I mean, if my wife went to the interview pregnant, wouldn't that suffice?  

Just curious.  

Michael

P.S.  This is assuming that the child is mine, of course.   :unsure:

I know as of a few months ago, the consulate would make special exceptions for the pregnant spouse of a US citizen. At that time, and maybe now also, they would expedite your visa. The information was posted on the Guangzhou consulate website.

Trigg

Mike,

Perhaps a pregnancy could influence the final decision. However, I think it still depends on demonstrating your relationship.

Did you go to China, get her knocked up, then ignore her for a year? Or, did you have an ongoing relationship while she was pregnant.

A couple of things to keep in mind. Pregnancies and babies do not speed up the process one bit.

We have had a few people who's wife was pregnant early in the process.

One of them, "robhon", had a few delays, and his baby was born in China and was about 3 months old when they finally were granted the visa. Of course he went to visit her in China when the baby was born, but it certainly tore on the heartstrings when he had to leave her and the baby in China to return home to the USA and await the visa.

Another couple that is currently active on the Candle, Mark and Bea under the name "hypoclear", the wife is currently pregnant. He has been working in China for a while but I believe is planning to return to the USA when they get the visa. Timing will be messed up when they return to the USA and they fear that they will be unable to get insurance for her in the USA. (I think it is the two of you, sorry if I got names mixed up).

Another thing to think about. Not all relationships last until she arrives in the USA, or the transition phase of her coming to the USA. My relationship has been having problems due to the excessive delays. Others have made it to the US and then broken up shortly afterwards.

Weigh your decision heavily. My vote is to wait. Definately do not try to get her pregnant just to get the visa. It may not help, and could cause you heartache.

----- Clifford ------

Well, it just so happens I have expertise on this one.

At the risk of beating to death an old story for CFL veterans, my wife got pregnant during one of my visits to China. The Chinese government noted my wife was going to give birth to her second child and wanted to terminate the pregnancy. Unacceptable!

My wife lived near Chengdu. We arranged an appointment (with the invaluable help of Robhon on this site) and got a paper stating the baby belonged to a US citizen. To do so, I had to declair my paternal rights and provided proof that the baby was conceived during my visit there (i.e., airplane ticket). My wife got a very nice letter from the consultate AND they notified the Chinese baby butchers to back off. They did. I'm convinced the added efforts on our part made for a smoother GZ interview.

You'll note that pregnant women are given "priority status" on the GZ FAQ. Don't count on that. It didn't help Robhon but I'm convinced we were moved ever so slightly a head of the pack.

PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

Dave

I wasn't suggesting that I would get my wife pregnant just to get her visa approved or rushed thru.

This is just a question that popped into my head as I was thinking about this whole situation. I kind of have an over-active imagination and I always think about what-ifs.

It definitely would not be cool for my wife to be stuck in China having the baby by herself. I would never want that to happen. That would kill me.

So, I guess I better just be careful. :ph34r:

I sent an email to the Chengdu embassy (I couldn't find the Guangzhou email address) and I asked them this question.

This is their response:

"Pregnancy will not be considered overwhelming proof that the marriage is real. The visa officers who do immigrant visas will be looking at a range of different factors including documentation. So you will need all of that.

We don't recommend that your wife gets pregnant if you are concerned about her having prenatal care in the U.S. Your visa application process will not be speeded up because of such factors."

So, officially, they don't want me to knock her up.

But, officially, my milk and cookies don't care what they want!

Um'kay!

I sent an email to the Chengdu embassy (I couldn't find the Guangzhou email address) and I asked them this question.

This is their response:

"Pregnancy will not be considered overwhelming proof that the marriage is real.  The visa officers who do immigrant visas will be looking at a range of different factors including documentation.  So you will need all of that. 

We don't recommend that your wife gets pregnant if you are concerned about her having prenatal care in the U.S.  Your visa application process will not be speeded up because of such factors."

So, officially, they don't want me to knock her up. 

But, officially, my milk and cookies don't care what they want! 

Um'kay!

WOW! An email that uses proper English grammar and big words. 'dem are smart people there.

a US citizen.  To do so, I had to declair my paternal rights and provided proof that the baby was conceived during my visit there (i.e., airplane ticket).  My wife got a very nice letter from the consultate AND they notified the Chinese baby butchers to back off.

Gee Dave G

I would have thought they would have stopped at nothing less than a 5 minute video of this iledged conception..

an after cig in bed not considered enough..

I did hear tell of a rash of orange organ in that area back around that time.. :ph34r:

Mark and Bea