CPC membership on the N-400

Hey all. For background, we had a hell of a time getting my wife’s IR-1 visa from 2013-2014. Because of CPC membership she spent 16 months in AP.

Regardless, after 7+ years in the U.S. (and 10+ years since last paying Party dues) we are applying for her U.S.  citizenship. 

Over the past years I’d seen threads here about folks getting rejected because of the ten year rule, so we decided to wait until ten years had passed.

We’ve started on the N-400 and I’m planning for us to copy and paste from her CPC statement we prepared for AP way back when. She’ll also add a note that this was previously disclosed when applying for her IR1 and highlight that more than ten years have passed since any involvement or passing any dues. 

Any suggestions on other things we should add? Or is the struggle mostly with the USCIS officer you eventually met? What’s the opinion on whether or not it’s worth getting a lawyer?

Edited by lhp
Typos (see edit history)

You've already posted in the topic where I posted this - 

Some information on this site that may prove helpful, although it's primarily geared to visa applicants.

CCP Membership Issues

It's probably best to NOT contact the CCP, even to verify that her membership is not active, since ANY contact can be interpreted as activity.

I can't see that a lawyer would do anything for you, especially since the 10 years have passed, but that's up to you and your comfort level.

A lawyer would be able to look closely over the details of your case, which we can't do.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Randy. My wife has a number of friends who have included a few years worth of tax returns when applying, but for the life of me I can’t figure out why. I can’t find mention of doing so anywhere…any idea why they might have done that?

1 hour ago, lhp said:

Thanks Randy. My wife has a number of friends who have included a few years worth of tax returns when applying, but for the life of me I can’t figure out why. I can’t find mention of doing so anywhere…any idea why they might have done that?

Perhaps they think it shows that they're good citizens. There's no reason to NOT include something you think might be helpful for whatever reason.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The Mrs had her interview and the CPC membership did not keep her from getting approved for citizenship. So at least in our case being 10+ years removed from membership “worked” for getting citizenship. 

The interviewer asked how long she was a member, if she held any positions/titles in the party, and if she stayed involved after she stopped paying dues.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, lhp said:

The Mrs had her interview and the CPC membership did not keep her from getting approved for citizenship. So at least in our case being 10+ years removed from membership “worked” for getting citizenship. 

The interviewer asked how long she was a member, if she held any positions/titles in the party, and if she stayed involved after she stopped paying dues.

Great intel... thanks! My wife will likely file her N-400 in the next year or two so this is good info. Congratulations!

• 11 months later...
6 hours ago, homerjay1011 said:

Hope your process is just as smooth Barfus!

My wife ended up filing earlier than she planner and actually had her interview last week - the CPC issue barely came up! She has her naturalization ceremony this coming week.

I was shocked at how fast the process was. She applied mid-September. Got the interview notice 3 weeks later. Interview was early November (last week) and the naturalization ceremony is next week! That's 2.5 months from submitting the N400 to the oath ceremony! 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 11/11/2023 at 8:20 AM, Martin B said:

My wife ended up filing earlier than she planner and actually had her interview last week - the CPC issue barely came up! She has her naturalization ceremony this coming week.

I was shocked at how fast the process was. She applied mid-September. Got the interview notice 3 weeks later. Interview was early November (last week) and the naturalization ceremony is next week! That's 2.5 months from submitting the N400 to the oath ceremony! 

Hi, may I ask -- did you have documentary evidence of termination?  Or it was just based on your wife's statement?

Thanks!