See also topics labeled Mandarin and slang

Chinese language, Chinese speaking, Mandarin

from 学中文/汉语Free Chinese learning(Học tiếng Trung Quốc) on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/878619632978739/posts/985826105591424

say yes in Chinese.jpg

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • 3 weeks later...

from ShuoshuoChinese说说中文

How to use 'le' in Chinese - 怎么用“了” - Basic Chinese Grammar - Elementary/Intermediate Chinese

This video is about how to use 了 (le).
There are many videos online teaching how to use 了,but I promise you, this one is the one that can really help you fully understand 了 and you will start your first step in building a Chinese-thinking mind from today!

了 is one of the most complicated Chinese words.
It has three usages:

01:07 了 in set phrase
【Some set phrases include:
太 + adj. + 了 (tài + adj. + le, extremely, so, very);
adj. + 死了 (adj. + sǐ le, extremmely, so adj. that I could die);
adj. + 极了 (adj. + jí le, extremely, super);
可 + adj. + 了(kě + adj + le, very);
就要/快要/快/要 + v. + 了 (jiù yào/kuài yào/kuài/yào + v. + le, be about to, very soon),
别 + v. + 了 (bié + v. + le, stop doing),
已经 + v./adj. + 了 (yǐ jīng + v./adj. + le, already)】

02:33 了 indicates change of state
04:56 了 emphasises completion of an action

The most important idea starts from 06:35. It can help you finally understand how to use 了. If you have any questions, feel free to leave me a comment!

also from ShuoshuoChinese说说中文 - things that textbooks for foreigners teach

Speak Chinese like a Native: 8 things you learned from TEXTBOOK drive native Chinese speakers CRAZY!

In this video, I will tell you 8 phrases and words that Chinese native speakers almost never say, 99% of Chinese learners used these phrases and words before because they are all from your TEXTBOOKS!

These phrases and words include:
01:27 你好吗 nǐ hǎo ma
03:27 你好/再见 nǐ hǎo/zài jiàn
04:05 派对 pài duì
06:00 汉语 hàn yǔ
06:57 爱人 ài rén
07:28 马马虎虎 mǎ mǎ hū hū
08:49 小姐 xiǎo jiě

After you have watched this video, do be careful when you use these phrases and words, try to avoid them or replace them with other phrases and words that Chinese people DO say (You can find them in this video too)!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I found this VERY interesting - I've always suspected this might be true (especially given the lengths English language songwriters go to to match lyrics with the musical phrasing), but I didn't know this until now.

Grace Mandarin Chinese compares several spoken Chinese phrases with how the tones are sung for the same phrases.

How Chinese Tones Work in Chinese Songs

【About this video】
Have you ever wondered about Chinese tones and how people sing in Chinese? Melody and Chinese tones both have something to do with the change in pitch, so how do they work together? Let’s find out the answers today!

• 2 weeks later...