Question on restrictions coming back from China to USA

I'll pass this along in case anyone wants to look into it - I hava no idea who or what is behind it, or if it's legitimate. It's posted to group members only, so I took a screen capture to make sure it would show up here.

gallery_1846_733_1017878.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Well my wife is still in China. One flight was cancelled. Now waiting till end of July for another. But here's a question. She always flies into Chicago but this flight she will fly into San Francisco first then to Chicago. Has anyone heard about quarantine stipulations. In other words, can she fly into San Francisco then to Chicago and then drive home with me to self quarantine at our home? Any help would be appreciated!!

Hi, Well my wife is still in China. One flight was cancelled. Now waiting till end of July for another. But here's a question. She always flies into Chicago but this flight she will fly into San Francisco first then to Chicago. Has anyone heard about quarantine stipulations. In other words, can she fly into San Francisco then to Chicago and then drive home with me to self quarantine at our home? Any help would be appreciated!!

Sad to hear, but also very common these days.

For now, I think the self-quarantine is fine, but that can change because of the recent surges. Keep an eye on the news AND the available flights to see which ones are actually going through.

I've heard that 2 airlines are canceling flights to Hong Kong because the crews are afraid that they might be quarantined upon arrival.

Hopefully, you can hear from someone with more direct knowledge, but, again - things can change.

I guess my biggest question is whether they will allow her to land in San Francisco then sit around there for a 14 hour layover, then jump on a flight to Chicago and then drive 4 hours to Wisconsin and THEN quarantine. Seems like where you would first land is where they would want you to quarantine and not fly to another city across the country. Thanks for the reply!

It seems to be just a voluntary quarantine, which you can do when you arrive at your destination. That's all I've heard about it.

Your best bet might be to contact the airline, since it would depend on which POE she arrives at.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I am flying back tomorrow and will let you know how it goes. My first flight from Shanghai to San Francisco which I scheduled on the 15th with United was suddenly cancelled with no other United flights available. Now I am flying China Southern to LA then United to San Francisco and then on to Eugene OR where I will self-quarantine. I arrive in LA at 9:30 PM and will just stay in the airport until my morning flights. My layover in San Francisco is short. Good luck on your wife's flight but have some other airline back ups in mind too.

Edited by DocMartin817 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I arrived safely back in the USA. On the China end, security was in place and lots of forms to fill out and temp checks. I flew China Southern to LA -- there it was easy and fast to go through customs. The United terminal had few people. I spent the night at the terminal and was the only one there at night except the cleaning crew. Around 4AM a few people stated to show up -- but still not a lot. My flight to San Francisco was less than half full. But San Francisco was pretty crowded. Lots of people, all wearing masks. They maintained social distance when in line to buy food. But a bar was open at the terminal and lots of people there -- many not wearing masks. I avoided that area. But all in all the flights went smoothly. But I did see in La that the Hong Kong flight was cancelled. I am somewhat skeptical about flying internationally from China on an American flight. They seem to say they have a flight and then cancel. It happened to me on United -- cancelling with short notice. And then they cancelled the Hong Kong flight -- I heard American pilots do not want to fly there because they will be put in quarantine for 14 days before they can fly back.

• Like 1

I arrived safely back in the USA. On the China end, security was in place and lots of forms to fill out and temp checks. I flew China Southern to LA -- there it was easy and fast to go through customs. The United terminal had few people. I spent the night at the terminal and was the only one there at night except the cleaning crew. Around 4AM a few people stated to show up -- but still not a lot. My flight to San Francisco was less than half full. But San Francisco was pretty crowded. Lots of people, all wearing masks. They maintained social distance when in line to buy food. But a bar was open at the terminal and lots of people there -- many not wearing masks. I avoided that area. But all in all the flights went smoothly. But I did see in La that the Hong Kong flight was cancelled. I am somewhat skeptical about flying internationally from China on an American flight. They seem to say they have a flight and then cancel. It happened to me on United -- cancelling with short notice. And then they cancelled the Hong Kong flight -- I heard American pilots do not want to fly there because they will be put in quarantine for 14 days before they can fly back.

That is great news on your return after 6 months in Wuhan - but bittersweet upon your arrival, I'm sure. Congratulations and welcome home.

• 1 month later...

from the Global Times on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/115591005188475/posts/3350456518368558/

The #US has announced to double its #flights to #China to eight a week, equal to the total number of flights now permitted by the Chinese aviation authorities for US carriers.

https://www.facebook.com/115591005188475/posts/3350456518368558/