Official Statement of Being Alive in the USA

Catherineli

Dear All,

How is everyone doing?

Please forgive me for being away for so long. I'm still busy building my American life. The question for today is how to have an official statement to prove to China government that I'm still alive? This is the second year for me to claim pension from China. But they ask me to prove once a year that I'm alive in America. Who, please, give me a link of China embassy?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my question.

Best Wishes,

Catherine

That is VERY good news indeed! Keep them coming!

This has come up before - I'll find it for you.

:happydance: Yes, it's a good news that Catherine is still alive! Thank you, Randy.

Today I found out online that I may mail a paper with my name, birth date, etc filled in. But I must notarize the paper in my local city before I send it to the embassy. I don't have to show up in person to the embassy until three years later. They allow us to mail our personal information every three years. Here is the phone number that I called today 832-240-3780 in case some one else needs it.

Our forum is very quiet now. Happy every day! Happy every one! How is Larry doing? Hello to everyone!!

PS, I forgot the website. But it's easy to find it if you type China embassy. You'll see some forms for you to download.

Edited by Catherineli (see edit history)
  • Like 2

That is VERY good news indeed! Keep them coming!

This has come up before - I'll find it for you.

:happydance: Yes, it's a good news that Catherine is still alive! Thank you, Randy.

Today I found out online that I may mail a paper with my name, birth date, etc filled in. But I must notarize the paper in my local city before I send it to the embassy. I don't have to show up in person to the embassy until three years later. They allow us to mail our personal information every three years. Here is the phone number that I called today 832-240-3780 in case some one else needs it.

Our forum is very quiet now. Happy every day! Happy every one! How is Larry doing? Hello to everyone!!

PS, I forgot the website. But it's easy to find it if you type China embassy. You'll see some forms for you to download.

Consulate General of China in Houston - http://houston.china-consulate.org/eng/vp/t1251849.htmfor English, although the passport and pension information is liable to be in Chinese.

Hello again to Larry and Randy,

Hello to Mrs. Larry and Mrs. Randy,

I'm glad that you are on there. I'm still teaching ESL. I've been in the States for four years and nine months so far. My curiosity to American life is gone though I still have to learn and equip myself.

Today I invited 14 people to come to my house to enjoy my own Thanksgiving Day. I made a 15lb turkey and ham, two tables.

One question: Do you water your trees and outside plants in winter? Who is good at gardening? I have two garden beds but I have little knowledge in gardening. Please share something about gardening with me. I live in Oklahoma. The winter is not long.

Thank you everyone. I just want to find some topic to cheer up our forum....

Edited by Catherineli (see edit history)

I'm glad that you are on there. I'm still teaching ESL. I've been in the States for four years and nine months so far. My curiosity to American life is gone though I still have to learn and equip myself.

Today I invited 14 people to come to my house to enjoy my own Thanksgiving Day. I made a 15lb turkey and ham, two tables.

One question: Do you water your trees and outside plants in winter? Who is good at gardening? I have two garden beds but I have little knowledge in gardening. Please share something about gardening with me. I live in Oklahoma. The winter is not long.

Yes, but less often. Maybe let them wilt a little bit once so you'll know how long is TOO long.

In Houston, Jiaying raked the leaves once while I was at work. We had a neighbor with a tree that rained leaves in Oct. and Nov. The predominant wind blew them all into our yard. Rather than bag all the leaves, I just took the lawn mower and turned them all into mulch. She never raked leaves again.

Here in Guangxi. fall and spring overlap. The last day of fall is March 15 (when the last leaf falls off of a tree), while the first day of spring is March 1 (when new leaves begin appearing on other trees). Winter occurs only on a few selected days in Jan. and Feb. I think the lowest temperature ever recorded was 3°C. We ate at a restaurant where we had to persuade them to close the front door so I could stop shivering. They refused to turn on the heater, saying it didn't work.

Yes, but less often. Maybe let them wilt a little bit once so you'll know how long is TOO long.

In Houston, Jiaying raked the leaves once while I was at work. We had a neighbor with a tree that rained leaves in Oct. and Nov. The predominant wind blew them all into our yard. Rather than bag all the leaves, I just took the lawn mower and turned them all into mulch. She never raked leaves again.

Here in Guangxi. fall and spring overlap. The last day of fall is March 15 (when the last leaf falls off of a tree), while the first day of spring is March 1 (when new leaves begin appearing on other trees). Winter occurs only on a few selected days in Jan. and Feb. I think the lowest temperature ever recorded was 3°C. We ate at a restaurant where we had to persuade them to close the front door so I could stop shivering. They refused to turn on the heater, saying it didn't work.

In winter of south China, people don't use heater as a tradition. Many things are related to one word, "poverty". As a result, heater is away from Southern people's mind.

Many years ago, the government refunded the cost to those who lived in the north. Changjiang River is the middle line to define the south and north. Those who lived in the north side of the Changjiang River ( = Yangzi River) had the heaters free from the government. If you live to the south of Changjiang River just endured the coldness. It became a tradition. But I have no idea that the southerners are still enduring. This is just opposite to Americans who live in America. They wear shorts in winter and longJohns in summer. Why? There is too much heat in winter and too much "cool cool" in summer :)

Have a good day, everyone!

• Like 2

I met my buddy, who has fairly passable English skills, in the elevator the other day. I usually know when fall has arrived when I see him wearing long pants and a jacket, while I'm still in shorts and a short sleeve shirt. He usually says, "You must be very healthy". This year, it was, "You must be strong".

Hello. Most people in the US do not water their gardens or lawns in the winter. After the fall I believe most trees and plants looses their leaves. They fall.

I should qualify my statement. It depends on where in the states one lives. The farther north one lives the shorter the growing season is. Here is a link for the growing time for Oklahoma city:

https://garden.org/apps/calendar/?q=Oklahoma+City+Will+Rogers+Ap%2C+OK

Looks like their growing season is a just a bit longer than here in the Northeast. As far as gardening, I sometimes do some but not much. Some plants are covered. Not sure what kind they are. They must be perennial. I plant vegetables mostly. Some flower will grow for years so you wouldnt want to pulI them up. I will pull the dead plants and till the leftovers back in to the soil. Sometimes i will add some limes. What kind of plants do you have in your plant beds? More local info can be had at local garden centers and also at stores like Home Depot.

PS. Didn't mean to butt in on the conversation but wasn't sure if the question was about Okahoma or Guangxi. " One question: Do you water your trees and outside plants in winter? Who is good at gardening? I have two garden beds but I have little knowledge in gardening. Please share something about gardening with me. I live in Oklahoma. The winter is not long." I never been to Okahoma but suspect that they have four seasons.

Edited by danb (see edit history)

. . .

PS. Didn't mean to butt in on the conversation but wasn't sure if the question was about Okahoma or Guangxi. " One question: Do you water your trees and outside plants in winter? Who is good at gardening? I have two garden beds but I have little knowledge in gardening. Please share something about gardening with me. I live in Oklahoma. The winter is not long." I never been to Okahoma but suspect that they have four seasons.

She lives in Oklahoma, which will always have freezing winter weather that potted plants need to be protected from. Houston usually had a freeze or two most winters. Outdoor plants are usually dormant, and will not need watering.

I live in Guangxi, and was just rambling about weather in general.

I'm a beginner learning to plant some vegetables. I don't have enough English and enough knowledge about plants. I only had two okra that enjoy the summer heat. I went to Home Depot and Lows, and walmart, to buy cabbage seeds in October, I was told that everything was sold out. I got nothing. So next early spring, I must take actions earlier.

Thank you Danb, for the gardening link. I appreciate it.

Never mind Guangxi, Huston, or Oklahoma, I just want to get some topic to activate our forum.

Too late here. have to hit the sack. BFN

• Like 1