Chance of Chinese Spouse (10-year green card) deportation if war?

AZwolfman

I apologize if this topic belongs in another place, but I could not find any forum which addresses this subject. My Chinese wife is not a U.S. citizen and got her "permanent" green card in 2014. The increasing likelihood for the U.S. and China to be on opposing sides if a new Korean or world war breaks out has made me wonder how likely it would be for our government to rescind her "permanent" residency and deport her to China.

I'm neither fostering nor looking for any political opinions. I have this genuine concern and would like to hear thoughts from other Chinese-American couples and anyone who knows more about this than I do. Becoming a U.S. citizen might be one solution, but I'm not sure there is enough time. Would she have to learn English well and study US history? Is the citizenship test in English?

Citizenship process tends to be 6 months to a year, it's really not that hard, yes, some English comprehension is tested for but not all that complicated. My wife became a citizen 4 years after getting permanent residency. You will find many topics on citizenship here: http://candleforlove.com/forums/forum/37-citizenship-process/

I highly doubt the government would wholesale deport permanent residents even in the event of a war, in this case they probably would be considered to be refugees...

• 1 month later...

I've considered this matter and ruled out the risk of sudden deportation - unless the war started while she was there. However, I would be much more concerned about how the Missus would react to the situation. She loves China so if we started killing Chinese people my wife might react badly.

This is such a touchy situation. They did round up all Japanese even naturalized one during WW II but this is a new era now. The US learned that was a bad mistake. Anywho I have read and the wife ( which is a naturalized citizen) tells me that all she would have to do would be to go back to China and denounce her US citizenship and it would be a done deal. Dan and Randy may have more on this but my wife is pretty sharp on these things and not from Chinese hearsay either.

But a big but is that the guy that we have in charge now is capable of doing anything.

• Like 1

There are not deportations during a trade war. We just pay a little more for our computers and Lao gamma bean sauce here in the USA and Randy and those in China pay a little more for Jack Daniel's and vitamins.

As for a real fighting war, if one were to break out between Nuclear superpowers, I think we would all be more worried about survival than deportation. Me and the missus would prolly grab a couple of Sombreros and head for the Mexican mountains until we got the all clear to return. I think there is more chance we have to worry about little spacemen from Mars as neither the American nor Chinese elite want a war messing up their current financial money grabs.

• Like 2

I think it would be hard to predict what might happen, at least at this point. There are so many variables involved in terms of how the conflict started, status of negotiations, and many more. Li is a US citizen, so I would think they would have a harder time deporting her and other naturalized citizens. My fear is more centered around how people here react, especially if things go nuclear and our mainland gets hit. Folks down here in the South can get a bit violent and unreasonable, even over football games, much less all out war. That would scare me more than deportation. Of course, some spouses would opt to go back to China to be with their family. Like I said, so many variables to consider. My prayers are that open hostilities can be avoided.

This is such a touchy situation. They did round up all Japanese even naturalized one during WW II but this is a new era now. The US learned that was a bad mistake. Anywho I have read and the wife ( which is a naturalized citizen) tells me that all she would have to do would be to go back to China and denounce her US citizenship and it would be a done deal. Dan and Randy may have more on this but my wife is pretty sharp on these things and not from Chinese hearsay either.

But a big but is that the guy that we have in charge now is capable of doing anything.

3rd generation Japanese American were not only rounded up during WW II. They were put in interment camps. Held there behind barb wire, against their will. I am sure many Nisei and Sansei could argued that perhaps it was a matter the slant of their eyes and less a matter of National Defense. Danb

PS, I am sure it would never happen today, right?

Edited by danb (see edit history)
  • Like 1

RIGHT!!!! I knew all about that but wanted to put it a little more subtle and nicer but I see you got the point. It was a real travesty towards them. I still would like to think that our country has grown past doing something like that today. BUT..... I can say for myself (at 70 years old) and for my wife, as we have talked about it, "they will have to take her out of my cold dead hands". Don't F+++ with old folks they don't have a lot to lose. :P I know that they can take her but SOME will go with me.

• 9 months later...

Regardless of what anyone thinks about the Japanese internments, there absolutely were Japanese spies in the U.S. just as there absolutely is Chinese, Russian, middle eastern and whoever else, spies here now. Chinese citizens, Chinese U.S. citizens and a whole lot of white American citizen traitors. I mean, lets be honest, China has little that wasn't first stolen from some other country. I couldn't pick them out in a line up and neither can anyone else unless the FBI already has this information about someone. So, that' s what leads to all of this.

There is NO reason to expect anything different in the future, regardless of who is president, and it would be wise to at least consider your options. Not to mention the, ah...........well intentioned ?.......radicals that might come a huntin for our spouses. To assume it couldn't happen is extremely risky, in my never to be humble opinion.

I have my plan for such a thing happening, do you?

Making citizens of Japanese heritage move from the coast, or be interned without any proof of being spies, is wrong on any level. Same for anyone who was a permanent resident, especially since they couldn't become citizens by law at the time.

I don't remember reading accounts of forced coastal evacuations for people of German or Italian heritage during the war. Were they somehow more "American" than those of Japanese descent? So the way Japanese Americans, and their parents were treated was racist. As to spies for Japan, yes, there were 10 convictions of people spying for Japan during the war. All 10 were Caucasian.

To make the blanket statement that "China has little that wasn't first stolen from some other country" is playing into the hands of those who deal on a base level, whether it was truly meant or not. Are there spies in this country? Yes, just as we have spies (domestic and military) in other countries. Also remember that a lot of what China acquired from American companies was given to them. It was a price of doing business in their country that no company had to pay, but gladly did to make money. They could have walked away but chose to pursue profits.

We shouldn't look at whole classes of people and be wondering if they are spying. I don't understand the fear and really see no reason to be ruled by it. We should expect something different in the future, something better for the sake of our country.

As to the original question of deportation, my opinion is yes it could happen. It could happen easily. My wife received renewal for her 10 yr card last year. Since then I have received 3 emails that USCIS is still reviewing her case and have not closed it.

• Like 3

We are coming up for renewal at 10 and I am worried about it. I had a lawyer handle all our visa stuff and at one point almost sued DOS.

A standard tactic now (and it is new with this administration) is exactly what you describe, except they are already doing with H-1B's and other visa such as L-1's, etc. The due date goes by with no approval or even word from USCIS and when it passes a few days, ICE knocks on the door.

Our H-1B's are not taking the chance. Their company set up a near shore operation in Toronto. So they go there when they get a rejection or de facto rejection, and still work for the company. So the US loses out on any taxes they might pay and obviously any spending they might do. And most of them (better said, some of them) are talented and skilled since they got their experience from us ( :D)

I don't think my wife has the linguistic skills to make it, coupled with her extreme introversion. And the manner in which China is treating those who back to China as American citizens leaves a lot of room for her to doubt.

As to any rounding up of people in the US, they already are. Just look at the internment camps for children of the undocumented. USCIS can't even find them all to reunite with their parent(s).

But we gotta keep them furreners out of our nice white country.

Making citizens of Japanese heritage move from the coast, or be interned without any proof of being spies, is wrong on any level. Same for anyone who was a permanent resident, especially since they couldn't become citizens by law at the time.

I don't remember reading accounts of forced coastal evacuations for people of German or Italian heritage during the war. Were they somehow more "American" than those of Japanese descent? So the way Japanese Americans, and their parents were treated was racist. As to spies for Japan, yes, there were 10 convictions of people spying for Japan during the war. All 10 were Caucasian.

To make the blanket statement that "China has little that wasn't first stolen from some other country" is playing into the hands of those who deal on a base level, whether it was truly meant or not. Are there spies in this country? Yes, just as we have spies (domestic and military) in other countries. Also remember that a lot of what China acquired from American companies was given to them. It was a price of doing business in their country that no company had to pay, but gladly did to make money. They could have walked away but chose to pursue profits.

We shouldn't look at whole classes of people and be wondering if they are spying. I don't understand the fear and really see no reason to be ruled by it. We should expect something different in the future, something better for the sake of our country.

As to the original question of deportation, my opinion is yes it could happen. It could happen easily. My wife received renewal for her 10 yr card last year. Since then I have received 3 emails that USCIS is still reviewing her case and have not closed it.

Who do you think recruited the 10? Besides, not being arrested is not evidence that they didn't exist. The japanese had spies in every country of any importance to them just as the chinese do now.

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/05/22/us/1941-cables-boasted-of-japanese-american-spying.html

https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/daily/wwii/the-spies-of-pearl-harbor/

As for the germans, there no doubt were countless german spies here too. I had no control over their fate either.

As for the chinese:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_spy_cases_in_the_United_States

And that doesn't take into account the spies that are not caught, which I'm confident is a significantly higher number.

I stand by my statement that they steal every technology they can. While it is true American factories go there, but with agreements that are quickly ignored and suddenly a chinese factory is making the same thing. I blame American greed and stupidity for this.

Frankly, I'm seriously considering not traveling to china anymore. The growing racism and nationalism of many people could easily become a serious problem for travelers there and reports from long time western residents in china tell of more and more incidences. Even my wife's friends criticize her for marrying a white American and living here and her male "friends" still try to have her. I have sensed the change during my 5 trips there. I've seen videos of white men being accosted in public over nothing or over something made up. The chinese man will begin shouting loudly making false accusations and a crowd will quickly gather and often attack the white man. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY will help you even when you are face down in a pool of blood in the middle of a busy street. It is likely that vehicles will just drive over you. I've seen videos. But, to be fair, this part is the same for chinese victims too.

My wife looks at a variety of chinese blogs and is shocked by the amount of lies, misinformation, gossip and rumors that is spread concerning just about everything, relationships, immigration, politics, men, life in the USA, everything. She never talks to anyone, only reads what other chinese are saying and much of what your wives are saying is very critical the the USA and of their American husbands. I am lucky that my wife see's through this crap and thinks for herself. But, we have talked about "what if" scenarios if the US and china get into it.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

By the way, it is great to hear from you AZ - you are one of the old, old timers around here. You still living in Vegas?

Hey, ole buddy, good to hear from you. I'm still here in LV, Mick. Wife has been here 6+ years, and now wants citizenship. So we will be working on that next.