Translation of Documents for K-1 Interview

Hi!

I'm wondering about the translation of documents like birth certificate, police records, etc.. I think I had read somewhere that it needed to be done by some sort of translation service as opposed to my fiancee translating them herself. If this is the case, what services would you all recommend?

Also, I just noticed the translation needs to be notarized. Where do I get this done? Last time I talked about notarization, my fiancee was very confused as to where one would do that.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Best,

Matthew

Edited by homerjay1011 (see edit history)
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, I was reviewing the information on that page again today, and it says regarding actual birth certificates that "you generally will NOT want one of these, unless you know that one was issued at birth - AFTER 1991." My fiancee was born in 1995 in Xi'an, but she says that she wasn't issued one. Because she was born after 1991, will they expect an actual birth certificate at the interview or will the "出生公证书, or chu sheng gong zheng shu" be fine?

Thanks again for all the help! You guys are amazing!

So, I was reviewing the information on that page again today, and it says regarding actual birth certificates that "you generally will NOT want one of these, unless you know that one was issued at birth - AFTER 1991." My fiancee was born in 1995 in Xi'an, but she says that she wasn't issued one. Because she was born after 1991, will they expect an actual birth certificate at the interview or will the "出生公证书, or chu sheng gong zheng shu" be fine?

Thanks again for all the help! You guys are amazing!

"Birth certificates" are either the notarial birth certificate, or the medical birth certificate, as issued by the Chinese authorities. Your wife FIANCE will know which she has.

If she DOES have a medical birth certificate, it will still need to be translated into white book format.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Thanks for the help you guys!

So, I actually remembered incorrectly. She does in fact have a birth certificate, which is handwritten. I will need to confirm with her that it is this specific "medical birth certificate". We'll make sure to bring it and a white book translation to the interview.

One more thing, just to confirm, both the 出生公证书, or chu sheng gong zheng shu, and the 未受刑事处分公证书 , or wei shou xing shi chu fen gong zheng shu, can be obtained from the same notarial office, right?

Thanks again! I can't express how much I appreciate all the help!

Thanks for the help you guys!

So, I actually remembered incorrectly. She does in fact have a birth certificate, which is handwritten. I will need to confirm with her that it is this specific "medical birth certificate". We'll make sure to bring it and a white book translation to the interview.

One more thing, just to confirm, both the 出生公证书, or chu sheng gong zheng shu, and the 未受刑事处分公证书 , or wei shou xing shi chu fen gong zheng shu, can be obtained from the same notarial office, right?

Thanks again! I can't express how much I appreciate all the help!

NO! I can't say for sure without knowing what you have, but birth certificates are NOT hand-written! My guess is that it is some sort of a hospital certificate or receipt, which is NOT what you want.

Documents issued by the notarial offices are GongZhengShu (公证书֤). The specific TYPE of GongZhengShu depends on what document YOU supply.

This is an actual birth certificate - the notation is Medical Certificate of Birth - 出生医学证明 (chu sheng yixue zheng ming). IT IS NOT HAND-WRITTEN, but I suppose that it COULD have been filled out by hand.

gallery_1846_733_1101156.jpg

Assuming this is NOT what she has - the notation on the Notarial Birth Certificate is 出生公证书, or chu sheng gong zheng shu, which is what you need to ask for at the Gong Zheng Chu, or 公证处. It will be produced from the information in the hukou, or Household Record. The chu sheng gong zheng shu is a statement by the notarial official as to the facts of the birth, and NOT a translation of an actual birth certificate.

In any event - take what you HAVE - INCLUDING the hukou book AND the "birth certificate" - to the GongZhengChu. They will know what they need.

But, yes - the police certificate can be obtained from the same notarial office, although they sometimes have you go first to the PSB to get a "no criminal certification".

• Like 1

Gotcha that makes sense! It may just be filled out by hand, but I will see if she can send me a picture of it tonight.

Regardless, is the white book sufficient for the interview? or do we need to provide some sort of further documentation?

Hopefully we won't have to make 2 trips to the notarial office, but it wouldn't be the worst. We'll have plenty of time to get it taken care of.

Does anybody know the Chinese name of the PSB? My fiancee has no idea what that is whenever I mention it to her xD

White books are what is expected at the visa interview, this is the norm for everyone who has dealt with this that has gone before you.

In most places the PSB is co-located with the Notarial Office. Simply tell her its the police office.

Great! That's super excellent news!

I'll try police office. I'm sure she'll know that. Thanks!

A couple notes.

Police reports are considered valid for up to 6 months, so don't run out and get one too soon, best to do this a few weeks before the visa interview. Also if the report comes from the police office and needs translation she will need to take the report to the notary office and get it translated they will make a "white book" of it.

Gotcha that makes sense! It may just be filled out by hand, but I will see if she can send me a picture of it tonight.

Regardless, is the white book sufficient for the interview? or do we need to provide some sort of further documentation?

Hopefully we won't have to make 2 trips to the notarial office, but it wouldn't be the worst. We'll have plenty of time to get it taken care of.

Does anybody know the Chinese name of the PSB? My fiancee has no idea what that is whenever I mention it to her xD

ANY document can be made into a white book - see the story about the "Population Information Sheet" that one spouse had used as a "birth certificate" - the consulate rejected it because it wasn't, even though it had the needed information.

See Wikipedia article about the PSB (includes Chinese) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_security_bureau_(China)

Great! That's super excellent news!

I'll try police office. I'm sure she'll know that. Thanks!

A couple notes.

Police reports are considered valid for up to 6 months, so don't run out and get one too soon, best to do this a few weeks before the visa interview. Also if the report comes from the police office and needs translation she will need to take the report to the notary office and get it translated they will make a "white book" of it.

Ah! Gotcha! Thanks for the notes! We'll run get the reports when we have the interview scheduled then!