Jump to content


Chinese Essential Documents - White Books

birth certificate Notary Documents notarial certificate notarial document white book

  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Randy W

Randy W

    玉林,桂 resident

  • Admin
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:56 AM

Documents to bring to interview


The hukou is the Household Registry which contains the information used to produce the white books.


Notarial Certificate of Birth


Most confusion with the Chinese Notarial Documents is with the Notarial Certificate of Birth. Prior to 1991, birth certificates were not issued at birth. A notarial certificate with translation must be generated from the hukou. Note that if the applicant is no longer in their parents' hukou, they may need to provide other certified evidence to indicate the parents' names.


A notarial certificate is NOT necessarily a translation of an existing document. It is a statement BY the notarial official based on the evidence you present as to the facts of the matter. In other words, the Notarial Certificate of Birth will be generated ON THE SPOT at the Notarial Office, or Gong Zheng Chu (公证处). If they demand that you produce a "birth certificate" for them to certify, you may need to get creative, such as by going back to the PSB to get a certified statement of the facts needed for the Notarial Certificate of Birth. If the applicant is no longer on their parents' hukou, they MAY need to go to the hometown PSB where they were originally registered.


The notation on the notarial birth certificate is 出生公证书, or chu sheng gong zheng shu, which is what you need to ask for at the Gong Zheng Chu, or 公证处֤֤֤.


A sample Notarial Certificate of Birth may be found at http://candleforlove...books/?p=626052


Chinese Notarial Documents - see DOS China Reciprocity Schedule


NOTE: If the link is broken, try http://travel.state.gov/ and search for "Reciprocity by Country" (they seem to change this periodically)


Most of the documents needed can be obtained from one of China's Notarial Offices (Gong Zheng Chu, or 公证处֤֤). All Chinese documentation to be used abroad is processed through the notary offices and issued in the form of notarial certificates (known as "white books"). Notarial offices are located in all major Chinese cities and in rural county seats

The documents required are the GongZhengShu (公证书֤) ֤֤ or Notarial Certificate.


Sample application for documents (your province or hukou may vary):


A discussion of the huji (or hukou system can be found at Hukou System. Chinese residents should go to their hukou for all notarial documents (birth, divorce, and/or single certificate, and police records). For the police record, one obtained at the hukou will cover all of China.

A notarial document will be in the standard white notarial booklet, have an official red seal, an English translation, and an attestation to the true translation.

Note that police records and single certificates are valid for one year from the date of notarization. Others are valid indefinitely.

Marriage certification for I-130 or K-3 must be in the same format.

If ANY document is unobtainable, you should submit a statement of WHY it is unobtainable, and what effort you made to obtain it.


Sample letter of attestation (for a non-professional translation of a non-required document (such as a relationship letter):




Qualifications of the translator:

I, hereby, attest that to the best of my knowledge and ability, the translation of the consent and/or other relevant document(s) from [specify language] to English for the attached document is complete and accurate.

Signature of Translator

Date of Translation

What police certificates do I need and how do I get them - http://www.avvo.com/...w-do-i-get-them

It is usually not necessary to submit police certificates for a stay in the United States.


Police Certificates for Foreigners Living in China

If you need a police certificate for any reason from having lived in China, it may be possible to obtain one from the local PSB Entry and Exit Bureau. You will need a Chinese work permit and a letter from your employer. Contact the PSB folks for the details of what they need.

You WILL NOT need one for the US visa process, unless you are notified otherwise.


This thread from 2016 covers the (ultimately successful) efforts by a couple of foreignersPolice (criminal record) report process is broken

from the British embassy



If you wish to obtain a criminal record clearance from the Chinese authorities, you will need to apply for a Certificate of No Criminal Record ֤

* To apply for a certificate while you are resident in China, you should apply to your local Public Security Bureau.
* To obtain a certificate after you have left China you should contact the local PSB. However you can also try service companies that offer services to help foreign residents.
* In Shanghai's district (Including municipality of Shanghai, provinces of Jiangsu, Anhui and Zhejiang), the local Notary Public is responsible for issuing such a certificate.
* In Guangzhou and Shenzhen, the local Notary Public is responsible for issuing such a certificate.
* In Chongqing's district (Including municipality of Chongqing, provinces of Sichuan, Yunan and Guizhou), the nearest police station (to be visited first) and the local Notary Public are both responsible for issuing such a certificate.
* In Beijing, the Shuang Xiong company offers this service for current or former residents of Beijing

Their contact details are:

No.3 Dongdajie (100m east of Public Security Bureau), Andingmen, Dong Cheng District
Tel: +86 10 6402 7616 / 6402 7596; Fax: +86 10 6402 7596
website: www.shuangxiong.com.cn (not current - 9/7/2011)
Email: shuangxiong516@sina.com


A report on their services Jan., 2016 - http://candleforlove...ments/?p=626584


Cost of Notarial Certificates


One member reported this in 2013. Cost varies, of course, by province, and over time.


Additional copies the day of are only 20 RMB per. If I return to get more copies later, I have to pay the base fee of 210 again.


So, two copies today would cost 230; three 250 RMB, etc. One today and one tomorrow would cost 420 RMB.


Edited by Randy W, 22 October 2016 - 11:23 AM.

#2 Randy W

Randy W

    玉林,桂 resident

  • Admin
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:27 AM

A discussion of some confusion surrounding an incorrect document is at

Birth Certificate Question - Is Certified/Translated Hukou Enough?


The wife of one of the posters had a document which showed her birth information, including date and place of birth and parents. This document was used to produce a Gong Zheng Shu, or Notarial Document, which was not accepted, even though she had used it as a birth certificate in China.


It came out through the discussion that her document used to produce the Gong Zheng Shu was actually a Permanent Resident Population Information Sheet, which could NOT be accepted by the Consulate as a Birth Certificate.


The notation on the Notarial Birth Certificate is 出生公证书, or chu sheng gong zheng shu, which is what you need to ask for at the Gong Zheng Chu, or 公证处. It will be produced from the information in the hukou, or Household Record. The chu sheng gong zheng shu is a statement by the notarial official as to the facts of the birth, and NOT a translation of an actual birth certificate.


If the applicant's hukou is still with his/her parents, it may be possible to take the hukou book to ANY Gong Zheng Chu. If the applicant has acquired their own hukou, then it may be necessary to supply additional information which identifies the parents. Some have found it necessary to go to the hometown PSB where his/her parents hukou is administered, or where the old records showing the parental relationship are kept.


The notation on the cover sheet of a Notarial Document or Certificate is Gong Zheng Shu, or 公证书. This simply refers to the fact that it IS a Notarial Document issued by the Gong Zheng Chu.


Notarial Documents or Certificates are most often NOT actually COPIES of a Chinese document, but a statement from the notarial official.

Edited by Randy W, 17 October 2016 - 06:51 AM.

#3 Randy W

Randy W

    玉林,桂 resident

  • Admin
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:27 AM

The first page identifies it as a Gong Zheng Shu (Notarial certificate).




The second page is the Chinese document, in this case, a 出生公证书 or Notarial Certificate of Birth.




The third page is the English translation.




 . . . and the fourth and fifth pages are another Gong Zheng Shu (Notarial Document) certifying the English translation.





#4 Randy W

Randy W

    玉林,桂 resident

  • Admin
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:31 AM

This is an actual birth certificate - the notation is Medical Certificate of Birth - 出生医学证明  (chu sheng yixue zheng ming). You generally will NOT want one of these, unless you know that one was issued at birth - AFTER 1991.



#5 Randy W

Randy W

    玉林,桂 resident

  • Admin
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:29 AM

Sample police report from 2009 (Kyle) - see http://candleforlove...e-report/page-2


This is what my wife had. The first part may not be used consistently throughout China, but it may give you an idea for what to look for. The first few (2 sheets) sheets were what my wife took to the PSB to get filled out. Afterward, she took them to get them processed for a white book. You will take the documents completed by the PSB to the same place you'll get your wedding certificate and her birth certificate translated and notarized. She got the forms to be filled out by the PSB at the office that does the translating and notarizing. Personal information has been redacted:



The title on the notarial certificate is 


未受刑事处分公证书 (wei shou xing shi chu fen gong zheng shu)  or "No criminal sanction public certificate"












Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: birth certificate, Notary Documents, notarial certificate, notarial document, white book

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users