Documents needed for immgrant visa application of minor child

in less than 3 hours, Consulate called and gave Wayne his passport and visa .

The kid is excited . He said he doesn't want to use his Chinese name anymore and asked me to change his name to Wayne once he arrives.

Where can I have his name officially changed in the US ?

Either through the courts (talk to a lawyer about what is required in your state), or watch for opportunities during the immigrations process. But I believe that would be possible only when he naturalizes.

Or simply start calling him "Wayne".

My wife's given name is Yu, but her nickname is Rosemary, all legal documents show Yu.

If wanting to change family name, and if stepson is of adoptable age, you could do an adoption, this would also be a direct shortcut to US Citizenship.

Thanks for the suggestion dnoblet . Adoption means court procedure ? Will consider that after he speaks English fluently and has adjusted well in the United States. Because once naturalized , he is no longer a Chinese citizen. His option to move back to China no longer exists other than being a visitor. I will leave this decision only to him after some time.

Step son is going to arrive today from Shanghai Pudong . I already enrolled him with my employer sponsored health insurance beginning Jan 1 , 2018 , I did not realize today is only November 2017 . Oops ! the past few days, we were so tense over US Consulate Guangzhou interview which was under threat of being cancelled due to incorrect Chinese given name , In the US , who cares , right ? After all, NVC already checked the DS 260 prior and cleared it for interview. My learning lesson about Chinese name. LOL .

Anyway, I need to get him a health insurance right away to bridge between now until Jan 1, 2018 . Just health insurance .

Any suggestion ?

Thanks again.

Step son is going to arrive today from Shanghai Pudong . I already enrolled him with my employer sponsored health insurance beginning Jan 1 , 2018 , I did not realize today is only November 2017 . Oops ! the past few days, we were so tense over US Consulate Guangzhou interview which was under threat of being cancelled due to incorrect Chinese given name , In the US , who cares , right ? After all, NVC already checked the DS 260 prior and cleared it for interview. My learning lesson about Chinese name. LOL .

Anyway, I need to get him a health insurance right away to bridge between now until Jan 1, 2018 . Just health insurance .

Any suggestion ?

Thanks again.

I would think your employer would bridge the gap there, although they may not have specific policies about family members enlisted in that way (through immigration).

Why not talk with them? If they can add him now, they've got you covered. If not, my suggestion is that you consider just going without it for a month.

Insurance for a month is liable to be either expensive, or worthless - or both.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

well , in a couple hours , I am going to pick up my step son accompanied by my wife. '

He is 13 . He called me " teacher " . yes, that's better , I don't want to be called a dad.

Never I thought in my life I would do this .

No choice, his biological dad is a semi criminal in my opinion. He has remarried and essentially neglected his son. His only interest is to soak my wife for money . The grandmother also doesn't want him , My wife sent her money every month so she reluctantly did it.

On top of that , his dad can be abusive and resort to beating etc.... On weekdays, the kid stayed in school dorm and weekend he went home to stay with the grandma because the dorm was closed . Every weekend there was always a fight , always problems. In weekdays , never had a single problem in school . My wife had direct contact with the counsellor.

Finally, early this year, I decided to file for his immigration ( IR 2) . His bio father doesn't know that I did it , otherwise, he would not let his son go that easily without asking for a major payment , Like criminal does . So, all the handling in China was taken care of by my wife , I stayed out of sight , so , no smoking gun .

Don't know if I am doing the right thing ? I know some of my friends & family advised me NOT to do this because he has his own father and they live in the same city. I could just help them financially until he is 18 and can decide on his own. His father would be happy to use him for living allowance support but the kid was pretty much neglected .

I hope this is the right path for him bringing him into the US.

• 1 month later...

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to every one.

Wayne, my step son is doing well and adjusting quickly.

He has joined the boyscouts .

His social security number has arrived but not his I-551 Green Card.

Perhaps, the mail man returned it as undelivered because I forgot to put his name on my mail box. USPS mail man is strange that way.

What shall I do to get this tracked ? I went to case status but no update based on receipt number . Shall I call the customer service number ? Thanks.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to every one.

Wayne, my step son is doing well and adjusting quickly.

He has joined the boyscouts .

His social security number has arrived but not his I-551 Green Card.

Perhaps, the mail man returned it as undelivered because I forgot to put his name on my mail box. USPS mail man is strange that way.

What shall I do to get this tracked ? I went to case status but no update based on receipt number . Shall I call the customer service number ? Thanks.

I am assuming you paid the green card fee at https://www.uscis.gov/file-online/uscis-immigrant-fee

In any case the passport with visa serves as a temp green card.

Thanks .

No , not aware that have to pay for this .

Did not have to do this 7 yard ago with my wife.

Wasn't this part of immigrant visa application at NVC ?

No - it's payable to USCIS for the green card

Paying the Green Card Immigration Fee Online - AFTER a successful interview, BEFORE travel to the U.S.

Paying the Fee BEFORE the Green Card Can be Issued - Nov., 2015

NOT paying the fee simply delays issuance of the card