We did it-got married

We had planned a big wedding. Today we went to get the license and before I knew what was happpening she said "Now we do". And we did.

Now I feel like a man who learned to fly a plane but was absent when they taught the landing part-very poor advanced planning skills. So, now that we are married I have many questions--like now what do I need to do? How do I apply for AOS?? when??? where?? What do I need for her and my new step-daughter. SSN numbers?? ID's?? Tax deductions?? Insurance transferes?? And the ever important name change as well as first name last name VS. Given name and surrname??

HELP!!!! I am soring in the wild blue yonder--HOW DO I LAND THIS THING?!?!?!?

I know exactly how you feel. I have put very little (if any) thought to what we will do after we get married. Today our marriage license arrived (we'll probably get married on Friday) and its slowly hitting me what we will have to do.

Here are my current plans and when I want to have them completed:

Call the local SSA office and ask what it takes to get a SSN for her (1 week)

Look into getting her a state Id after we get her SSN (3 weeks)

Adjust my insurance to add her as a dependant (2 weeks)

File for AoS (1.5 weeks)

We're not planning on a name change. I'm pretty sure that the easiest way to execute the change is on the marriage license.

The bottom line is: don't panic. Most things you need to do now are dependant on having other things done. Make a list like mine, put it in order and do it. You might want to start collecting the forms and information you'll need for your AoS (why do I feel like I'm back one year ago preparing for my I-129F?).

Be organized and be happy that you're together.

There's a handly link in the Resources section that outlines what to do before she arrives, perhaps we need one for what you should do after you get married.

Here's some great information on filing for her AoS:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....t=ST&f=7&t=3980

just a little info....it has been discussed before, but you may have missed it....

for K-1 about the SSN-

you can apply for it after about day 14 and before day 76 that your fiancee is here.

it is easy, you just fill out the form and they will send you a receipt, well that is what they told us, and then they will mail it to your fiancee, in about 2 weeks is what they said. that is it.

IF you wait until after you married, your fiancee cannot get a SSN until he/she has received EAD. after you apply to adjust the status, they can no longer receive a SSN until you have the EAD.

trigg, did you change her name on the marriage license?? i think that was the easiest place to do it, well changing her family name that is, to yours...but if you didn't then i am not sure of your next step to do that would be....

anyway, we still trying to figure out the name change thing, but ours is a little different. we would want to change my fiance's first name to english, i am taking his last name, so i will take that when we get our license, just like normal procedure.....

we applied for his SSN already, and had to use what was on his passport, so it is his chinese first and last name. and i am assuming we will get our marriage license in that too, we will see though! not sure if his first name ordeal is worth an "official" change, or not. i called to get phone service and electricity for the apartment we will live in after marriage, and i put it all under jacob and kim du, of course no official document required there for it to be in jacob as opposed to his chinese name.

i just used all of my information, ssn and all! so it was fine. we will see!

The procedure for changing one's name seem to vary from state to state. Here's the South Carolina state law on it (for example):

South Carolina Name Change Law

Title 15 - Civil Remedies and Procedures

CHAPTER 49. CHANGE OF NAME

SECTION 15-49-10. Application for change of name.

( A ) A person who desires to change his name may petition, in writing, a family court judge in the appropriate circuit, setting forth the reason for the change, his age, his place of residence and birth, and the name by which he desires to be known.

( B ) A parent who desires to change the name of his minor child may petition, in writing, a family court judge in the appropriate circuit. The other parent, if there is not one then the child, must be named as a party in the action unless waived by the court. The court shall appoint a guardian ad litem to represent the child. The court shall grant the petition if it finds that it is in the best interest of the child.

SECTION 15-49-20. Court shall exercise discretion.

Upon such petition and the reason therein contained, the judge shall determine and grant or refuse the prayer thereof, as to him shall appear proper, having a due regard to the true interest of the petitioner.

SECTION 15-49-30. Filing fee.

The filing fee provided in Section 8-21-310(11)(a) applies with respect to an action for change of name.

SECTION 15-49-40. Use of new name in legal proceedings; effect on pending proceedings.

The person so changing his name may thereafter sue and be sued, plead and be impleaded by his new name and no other. When an action shall be pending at the time of such change of name it shall not abate by the party's name being changed, but the record on motion shall be amended by expunging the old name and inserting the new name of the party.

SECTION 15-49-50. Effect of change on old obligations.

When a person changing his name is bound by obligation or otherwise, the effect of which obligation would extend to and impose any obligation on the heirs, executors or administrators of the person so having changed his name, such heirs, executors or administrators shall be and remain bound, to all intents and purposes, in the same manner and to the same extent as if the person had not changed his name.

It seems that if you want to do a full name change (ie, like Kim wants to do), you would have to get in touch with your local county court (probate?) and ask for the specific requirements.

It's nice to see someone else following my plan. Wait until she is here and we are married then worry about it. I think that the K-1 visa process takes so much out of you that by the time she / he is here you are tired of the whole mess and don't want to deal with it anymore.

Roger that Don,

I am on a righthand approach and turning final for runway one-niner. I will contact tower for further instuctions-out

Thanks---sounds like you fly as well. I know CFL will talk me down, they got me this far. Do I get a cap and gown?? What a great adventure so far!!!!!

Roger that Don,

I am on a righthand approach and turning final for runway one-niner. I will contact tower for further instuctions-out

Thanks---sounds like you fly as well.  I know CFL will talk me down, they got me this far.  Do I get a cap and gown??  What a great adventure so far!!!!!

Just watch out for those "Sudden" down drafts and cross winds produced by BCIS and other Government Offices. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...