SerpentZA and Other Vloggers

Randy W

Is the milk man ready to expand his property holdings in Chinartucky?

I don't care if his house does fall down, we ain't sellin' our beautiful home in Fushun. Shucks, it has stood for more than 9 years now, maybe it ain't gonna topple, or fall apart. :victory:

Edited to add: Victory icon. :rotfl:

Even after a few porch collapses, the place is still livable.

gallery_1846_637_8754.jpg

gallery_1846_637_505664.jpg

A good one from C-milk about learning Chinese

Published on Dec 7, 2016
So many people ask me how I learned Chinese. It's the hardest language in the world to learn after all. Or is it?
If you look at the FSI charts, and ask anyone, you will see that Chinese is a level 4 language. This means that it is among the hardest of languages to learn.
I disagree. Just because Chinese is difficult to read and write, does not mean it is difficult to speak.
Today I run through 5 misconceptions people have about the Chinese language.

A good one from C-milk about learning Chinese

Published on Dec 7, 2016
So many people ask me how I learned Chinese. It's the hardest language in the world to learn after all. Or is it?
If you look at the FSI charts, and ask anyone, you will see that Chinese is a level 4 language. This means that it is among the hardest of languages to learn.
I disagree. Just because Chinese is difficult to read and write, does not mean it is difficult to speak.
Today I run through 5 misconceptions people have about the Chinese language.

No. It is not the most difficult language to learn. English is, but we could spend hours on that topic. And people do, believe me.

The usual criteria for such comparisons starts with the real question: who is the learner? For English speaking people, of course Mandarin would be first, since it is the second most difficult language to learn compared to all other learners. The reasons have to do with the structure of the language. Most of the Asian languages are quite primitive compared to the way an English speaking person would think. (Try to explain the subjunctive mood to a Mandarin or Czech speaker. They will look and walk away. Or especially the declension of a verb. My wife still doesn't get it.) Old Chinese (as if it has changed) is one level above Cuneiform, which to remind you, the "Chinese" language started with using a chisel on a turtle's back.

I could argue Finnish as the most difficult or even Georgian (try that one) and Japanese would be up there too. Korean structures its language around Subject, Predicate, and then Verb. ("I water drink.") Or how about German, which much of the time, puts the object or even verb at the end of along list of other components. "Blow me from the stairs, a kiss."

I studied comparative languages for years. That's why I am just a little crazy. :crazy:

I think the video is from the perspective of a native English speaker, especially where it references the FSI charts.

But the worst aspect of it may be the Chinese characters, which ensure that most Chinese kids won't be able to read until they're of school age. What I hear, though, is that they catch up pretty quick - to achieve full literacy only requires learning about 2000 characters.

Interestingly, though, our grandson Chenxi seems to have a LOT less homework now that he is in the first grade.

I think the important thing is to forget about the complexity and just push ahead and learn. Once you get that obstacle out of the way, the task becomes easier.

And my other favorite issue: age and language learning. We lose our language processing ability around the age of 25. So to ask an older foreigner to learn English as fast as a young kid is just not fair. And the notion that not talking "baby talk" helps an older learner to grasp the language is absurd. They usually reach a plateau and stop. It will be baby talk after that. (See Runningwithscissors' post in Checking In.)

Not true for everybody. Certainly talking correctly all the time does help but not when you need them to understand now rather than later.

• 1 month later...

Ole Winston is making about 10 grand a month USD now without the donations. I don't know how much C-milk is making or Prozzi or whatever. That's not bad money for a white monkey staying in China. Some of the teenage girls are live streaming anything you can imagine and MANY of them have made over a million USD this year alone. I read that the government is trying to get them stopped and deleted for using fruit like banana's.

OK Randy you gatta get on the stick. :cool2:

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)

Ole Winston is making about 10 grand a month USD now without the donations. I don't know how much C-milk is making or Prozzi or whatever. That's not bad money for a white monkey staying in China. Some of the teenage girls are live streaming anything you can imagine and MANY of them have made over a million USD this year alone. I read that the government is trying to get them stopped and deleted for using fruit like banana's.

This is a new video, with 11,712 views in the one day it's been up.

Troy Nguyen claims Winston's getting 100,000 views a day (at https://youtu.be/qg0mr2JrpOY ), which, according to this calculator ( http://socialblade.com/youtube/youtube-money-calculator), gets him $750 - $12,000 per month.

Somehow, I doubt he's earning any more than a reasonable living. I'm not sure what kind of a bug old Troy got up his a$$, but Winston doesn't seem to be taking him seriously. I don't either.

Myself, I don't donate anything other than views to his cause. His work will have to stand on its own without my assistance.

• Like 1

This is a new video, with 11,712 views in the one day it's been up.

Troy Nguyen claims Winston's getting 100,000 views a day (at https://youtu.be/qg0mr2JrpOY ), which, according to this calculator ( http://socialblade.com/youtube/youtube-money-calculator), gets him $750 - $12,000 per month.

Somehow, I doubt he's earning any more than a reasonable living. I'm not sure what kind of a bug old Troy got up his a$$, but Winston doesn't seem to be taking him seriously. I don't either.

Myself, I don't donate anything other than views to his cause. His work will have to stand on its own without my assistance.

Yeah I've seen his video. I think that he is kind of the glass heart kind of Asian. But if you look back at some of Winston's Videos he does have some that have accumulated over 100,000 views. But not per day.

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)