SerpentZA and Other Vloggers

Randy W

from iChongqing on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/1145429832271380/posts/1756763577804666/

On the evening of June 26th, the father and son duo of the ‘Barrett’ Youtube channel kicked off their maiden visit to Chongqing with a live stream broadcast from the Raffles City Observation Deck over sunset. They are the first in a series of ten big-name Youtube channels invited by iChongqing to participate in the ‘Real China Tour – Overseas YouTubers Film Chongqing’ event.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

from iChongqing on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/1145429832271380/posts/1756763577804666/

On the evening of June 26th, the father and son duo of the ‘Barrett’ Youtube channel kicked off their maiden visit to Chongqing with a live stream broadcast from the Raffles City Observation Deck over sunset. They are the first in a series of ten big-name Youtube channels invited by iChongqing to participate in the ‘Real China Tour – Overseas YouTubers Film Chongqing’ event.

Chinese soft power in action!

I wonder who the other nine you-tubers are? Will GreyLoud make the cut?

Will any of them journey to Xinjiang and check out the holiday camps?

I wonder if he is getting subsidized for his meanderings to China's tourism hot (or cold) spots?

His nose will be out of joint if he isn't included in the ten big-name Youtube channels being feted in Chongquing. He is a big Chinese media star you know.

I wonder if he is getting subsidized for his meanderings to China's tourism hot (or cold) spots?

His nose will be out of joint if he isn't included in the ten big-name Youtube channels being feted in Chongquing. He is a big Chinese media star you know.

I'm sure the whole junket is free for him. They will usually expect you to keep fairly busy on these excursions as the only caveat.

C-Milk finally spills some beans about his 'escape' from China. I had called him out shortly after he left about not being open about not filming any new footage in China, and got a nice, little nasty-gram PM from him about how THEY got to set the narrative.

The new National Security law makes travel to Hing Kong very risky for anyone who might be on the wrong side of the Chinese authorities.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I'm presuming that's Michael Spavor he is referring to. The Canadian PM just this week explicitly rejected a trade of the two Michaels for Meng Wanzhou, the Huawei exec in the process of being extradited to the US.

China is turning in to a fairly nasty place. Stay away from Hong Kong as well.

I had heard bits and pieces of this before on some of their other various videos. He is lucky he got out when he did. Now days Hong Kong would not be safe for somebody in his position. Although I think as an American, he wouldn't be in as bad a position as other foreigners. Winston, for example.

I'm presuming that's Michael Spavor he is referring to. The Canadian PM just this week explicitly rejected a trade of the two Michaels for Meng Wanzhou, the Huawei exec in the process of being extradited to the US.

I had heard bits and pieces of this before on some of their other various videos. He is lucky he got out when he did. Now days Hong Kong would not be safe for somebody in his position. Although I think as an American, he wouldn't be in as bad a position as other foreigners. Winston, for example.

My wife and I always thought that we'd retire or semi-retire in China down the road. Actually our dream was to eventually move to HK - what was our favorite place in the world. Neither of those are obviously going to happen... My wife has lived abroad for most of her live after college, and told me if it weren't for her parents, she probably would never have gone back after college. Her sister and many of her relatives also live abroad.

The two Michaels are screwed. And to think the poor guys are probably rotting away incommunicado in some shitty Chinese prison, having to deal with China's bullshit justice system. All while Meng continues to live in one of her Vancouver mansions, sends her kids to Canadian schools, uses Canadian health care, and is able to communicate with the outside world. And morons like Gweilo are going around praising the Chinese government while slamming Canada... what an effing joke.

Unfortunately, Canada, due to a combination of its size, economic power, and PM, has little leverage. South Africans would stand no chance whatsoever. The US may have an unstable moron leading the pack, but they have a lot of economic leverage, and while I wish our president would STFU more often, I fully support any actions to promote reciprocity between the two countries.

Edited by Barfus (see edit history)
  • Like 2

My wife and I always thought that we'd retire or semi-retire in China down the road. Actually our dream was to eventually move to HK - what was our favorite place in the world. Neither of those are obviously going to happen... My wife has lived abroad for most of her live after college, and told me if it weren't for her parents, she probably would never have gone back after college. Her sister and many of her relatives also live abroad.

The two Michaels are screwed. And to think the poor guys are probably rotting away incommunicado in some shitty Chinese prison, having to deal with China's bullshit justice system. All while Meng continues to live in one of her Vancouver mansions, sends her kids to Canadian schools, uses Canadian health care, and is able to communicate with the outside world. And morons like Gweilo are going around praising the Chinese government while slamming Canada... what an effing joke.

Unfortunately, Canada, due to a combination of its size, economic power, and PM, has little leverage. South Africans would stand no chance whatsoever. The US may have an unstable moron leading the pack, but they have a lot of economic leverage, and while I wish our president would STFU more often, I fully support any actions to promote reciprocity between the two countries.

I'm totally with you on Hong Kong. My favourite city in the world. I have a good friend there, but I decided yesterday I won't visit Hoing Kong again. So it goes.

Also with you on the situation with the two Michaels. Not much can be done, but I am not in favour of a prisoner exchange.

Last year I read " Hostage in Peking" by Anthony Grey. An example of how hostage diplomacy works for the Chinese.

Lets have a toast to Hong Kong, the old Hong Kong, as it was.

Good luck to you and I hope your step daughter is doing well. She is better off in the US than China, despite current problems.

• Like 1

I'm totally with you on Hong Kong. My favourite city in the world. I have a good friend there, but I decided yesterday I won't visit Hoing Kong again. So it goes.

Also with you on the situation with the two Michaels. Not much can be done, but I am not in favour of a prisoner exchange.

Last year I read " Hostage in Peking" by Anthony Grey. An example of how hostage diplomacy works for the Chinese.

Lets have a toast to Hong Kong, the old Hong Kong, as it was.

Good luck to you and I hope your step daughter is doing well. She is better off in the US than China, despite current problems.

Thanks Cale. We'll all pull through this.

And for the record, the only "fair" trade IMO is that Canada gets the two Michaels back, while China gets the middle finger in return. Hoping the two poor guys hold in there.