SerpentZA and Other Vloggers

Randy W

How many channels do Winston and Laowhy have now? It's getting hard to keep up with all their stuff:

• SerpentZA
  • Laowhy86
  • ADVChina
  • The China Show (formerly ADV Podcasts)
  • China Fact Chasers
  • Worthless Whips (not China related)

... and I think they're wives also have their own channels as well.

49 minutes ago, Barfus said:

How many channels do Winston and Laowhy have now? It's getting hard to keep up with all their stuff:

• SerpentZA
  • Laowhy86
  • ADVChina
  • The China Show (formerly ADV Podcasts)
  • China Fact Chasers
  • Worthless Whips (not China related)

... and I think they're wives also have their own channels as well.

No car videos from the Worthless Whimps in the last six months (Sarah - n - tuned is MUCH better)

I think Vivy and Sasha have pretty well given up the ghost as well. 

But yes, the others are listed as "Approved Channels" on the China Fact Chasers home page.

6 hours ago, Randy W said:

No car videos from the Worthless Whimps in the last six months (Sarah - n - tuned is MUCH better)

I think Vivy and Sasha have pretty well given up the ghost as well. 

But yes, the others are listed as "Approved Channels" on the China Fact Chasers home page.

Interesting. I see Vivi (Laowhy's wife) changed her channel name to "Eastern Foraging and Gardening" and deleted all her old videos, with a very respectable 54k subs. This must've happened very recently. Funny thing is she still has Patreon with a nice $100/month in donations despite not having done anything in years. Serpent's wife still has a channel with 27k subs but hasn't posted in 2.5 years. 

It does seem like the guys have made anonymity a priority in the past 1-2 years. They are both very popular and somewhat controversial figures, and the last thing they probably want is people going after their wives and kids.

11 hours ago, Barfus said:

Interesting. I see Vivi (Laowhy's wife) changed her channel name to "Eastern Foraging and Gardening" and deleted all her old videos, with a very respectable 54k subs. This must've happened very recently. Funny thing is she still has Patreon with a nice $100/month in donations despite not having done anything in years. Serpent's wife still has a channel with 27k subs but hasn't posted in 2.5 years. 

It does seem like the guys have made anonymity a priority in the past 1-2 years. They are both very popular and somewhat controversial figures, and the last thing they probably want is people going after their wives and kids.

"This channel doesn't have any content"

I imagine it's the folks back home (in China) that they need to worry about. 

Vivi is on Patreon as Vivienne Wei, and, yes, still has 36 Patrons, although I think that includes the husbands.

Sasha's channel, with videos, is still on YouTube as Hu Knows.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

A typically overblown conclusion from Winston - he could make similar claims about the US - but he does make some good points.

The thing to remember about China is that, although they claim to be a 5,000 year old civilization, it's more like a 50 year old civilization - with a hangover from the previous 4,950 years. They don't have the safeguards that we have built into our financial and political systems against corruption, in particular, the real estate field.

It's not clear at all that America's way of handling celebrities and billionaires is better than China's. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well today marks a pretty big day for me - I've unsubbed to all of Winston's and Matt's channels. It's kind of a bittersweet day, but I rarely watch their stuff anymore and their ~8 channels are cluttering up my feed. I only watch their older stuff occasionally when I'm feeling nostalgic. Their video titles are a bunch of clickbait and most of their vids rehash the same points over and over. I've noticed Laowhy in particular has become somewhat of a twat, recently cracking jokes about abandoned babies in China among other things. It's sad to see how they've changed, while I under$tand why, it's just not something I'm into (despite agreeing with some of their points). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Barfus said:

Well today marks a pretty big day for me - I've unsubbed to all of Winston's and Matt's channels. It's kind of a bittersweet day, but I rarely watch their stuff anymore and their ~8 channels are cluttering up my feed. I only watch their older stuff occasionally when I'm feeling nostalgic. Their video titles are a bunch of clickbait and most of their vids rehash the same points over and over. I've noticed Laowhy in particular has become somewhat of a twat, recently cracking jokes about abandoned babies in China among other things. It's sad to see how they've changed, while I under$tand why, it's just not something I'm into (despite agreeing with some of their points). 

I agree completely, but I'll stick around - they're not that prominent among other things that I watch more often. Once in a while, they come out with a good one.

It's unclear where they're headed with that stuff - it doesn't seem to be getting any traction outside of their own channels. Maybe they're just getting enough income from that alone. 

An interesting story from C-milk. I'm not sure what to think of it, or how he might have put it together (other than simply reading the LA Times story). "Research" seems to be his term for Googling, although he does cite a couple of Chinese sources, including the Chinese language Wikipedia.

The White Guy Who Became Chinese by Accident

An Italian man, Xu Xiangshun, ended up in the Chinese countryside when he was little, and accidentally became Chinese. Here's his story. 

and from the LA Times in 2001 - this contains most of what C-milk talked about.

A Chinese Peasant’s Italian Roots

His biological parents were Italians from Milan. While his mother was pregnant with him, his father, a soldier, was killed in World War II.

The 32-year-old Italian woman never adjusted to the harsh Chinese peasant life and the havoc of civil war that ravaged the country. She left behind the 8-year-old Italian boy and his half-Italian sister.

• 2 weeks later...

For once, I find Nathan 100% agreeable, although I would offer the advice to China that they learn how to speak up for themselves without having to put down the US or the West, or to expect anything from them.

I'm here to learn and observe, not to tell anyone how to run their country.

• 4 weeks later...
your attire is so DISGUSTING!... why do you need to wear those in public... to earn from viewers???... why not just go NAKED ?...

I explain my appearance here: https://youtu.be/Z9vW_MpXTfs I have not seen my girlfriend in several months, she's been on lockdown in Xinjiang. She likes my small outfits, I like to wear them for myself, and for her. By Chinese law we can't get married or have children, so we find happiness in other small things that offend no one around us here. People smile and ask to take pictures with us. Looking how I do does not benefit me. The world has no use for engineer who looks like a prostitute. My videos get demonetized or restricted so there's no profit in whoever comes to watch them for how I look instead of the technical content. Most people don't think anyone who looks like me can be a competent engineer doing serious technical content. Tool and tech companies don't want to be associated with someone who looks like me that their customers will complain about when they can sponsor, serious professional-looking people instead. I don't have an Only Fans or anything like that because I'm not interested in doing that sort of thing, it would make it even harder to be taken seriously if they could dismiss me as an OF model. There's no profit in my appearance, I'm not getting ahead tricking people with it, it just costs me every day and holds me back because it means I will never be taken seriously as a technical professional and people will always be uncomfortable watching my videos. I know what I look like to foreigners, I hear about how disgusting I am a hundred times a day and am trying to switch to manufacturing instead so all of you don't have to look at me.

• 1 month later...