SerpentZA and Other Vloggers

Randy W

Is there some sort of coordinated effort going on with these recent pro-China/anti-west YouTube channels? Today I discovered a new channel called "Barrett" - basically another pro-China/anti-west barf pile, this time a father/son duo. I noticed that some of their videos literally have the same exact title as some of Gweilo60's videos:

• "How FREE are the Chinese people"
  • "China's work ethic is better than the west"
  • "Parks are AMAZING in China"

Another handful of videos had extremely similar titles , just some minor wording differences. I didn't thoroughly check every video but those few stood out immediately...

What the hell is going on? Are these guys all on the CPC payroll?

Is there some sort of coordinated effort going on with these recent pro-China/anti-west YouTube channels? Today I discovered a new channel called "Barrett" - basically another pro-China/anti-west barf pile, this time a father/son duo. I noticed that some of their videos literally have the same exact title as some of Gweilo60's videos:

• "How FREE are the Chinese people"
  • "China's work ethic is better than the west"
  • "Parks are AMAZING in China"

Another handful of videos had extremely similar titles , just some minor wording differences. I didn't thoroughly check every video but those few stood out immediately...

What the hell is going on? Are these guys all on the CPC payroll?

A couple of months back, I think it was Winston who commented on a bunch of pro-China vloggers, including Grey Loud, all putting out the same videos about Chinese parks, all at the same time. It appeared to be coordinated, and I think it was Prime In China, who had been contacted as well. I will try and find the videos. Winston seemed to think they weren't being paid , just encouraged and given some help with things like Chinese subtitles. Also a Canadian vlogger JJ McCullough claimed he was offered $500 to host a rather lame anti-Falun Gong video.

It seems to be a Chinese soft power propaganda exercise using ex pat China vloggers. There are a group of four of them who do a joint live cast called "Lets talk China"

to talk up the positives of China. Barrett was one of them, he has a really cringe worthy video defending The Chinese Xinjiang camps. Its one thing to burble on about the wonderful parks, another thing altogether to defend concentration camps.

I like the life in China vids, but when I feel I'm being propagandized, it turns me off.

I kind of doubt they are being paid, I think they are being encouraged, and they know which side of the fence they have to be on. Dumbrill is in a precarious position, if he is running a profitable business in Shenzhen, and he doesn't want the Chinese to take it over, he better make sure everybody knows where he stands. As far as the others go, I think they just like to see their clicks go up and get their 15 minutes of fame. They're not even big you tube channels, they're not making any real money off it.

• Like 1

"I like the life in China vids, but when I feel I'm being propagandized, it turns me off."

I hate that too especially when it is done so very obviously.

I don't even mind videos that are unrealistically positive about China. There are some things I love about China and if my wife and I didn't have kids and responsibilities for our families, we'd retire in our 40s, rent a tiny ass studio in Guangzhou, and live it up on our USD savings.

It's when the shills start slamming the west non-step where it really pisses me off. Take Gweilo for example. He constantly bashes the US, Canada, and Europe. Does this idiot not realize that the only reason he has the lifestyle he does (retired in his 50s, a home in China and Canada, access to excellent healthcare, good pension) is because he was fortunate enough to be born in Canada? He keeps talking about how "OMG how CHEAP China is", but never mentions the fact that every $1 CAD gets him 5 rmb? Think about how much a Canadian McDonald's or Walmart worker can purchase in China, versus a Chinese McDonald's or Walmart worker in their own country. Does Gweilo, a man of below-average intelligence, really think he'd have a better lifestyle now in 2020 if he were born in Nanning in the 1960s? And these are only economic things - I'm not even touching on things like health care, education, social safety net, food/water/air quality, and so on.

In one of his videos he slams either Serpent/Laowhy's wife (don't remember which) because she spoke negatively about Chinese wet markets and hygeine. And yet he constantly slams his own country and the rest of the west in nearly all his videos - what a hypocrite.

This guy really better watch out. He can shill all he wants for whatever trickle of cash he's getting thrown at him , but as soon as he steps out of line the Chinese government will spank him back onto his knees, like they did with his early quarantine videos. Yet for some reason he doesn't have a single worry about the Canadian government going after him for anti-Canada videos.... wonder why he's never touched on that topic?

• Like 1

I'm Canadian and I just shake my head at Gweilo. Griping at the government is a national past time here, second only to hockey, so its like Gweilo is saying the same things he would at home. Not realizing he can't say those kinds of things about China. I didnt really blame him for grumbling about his quarantine.He just shouldn't have broadcasted it on youtube. Now he has done the classic self criticism and pledged to do better. He should have just kept complaining about Canada. Nobody cares about that.

One of the more ironic things is, he hates Trudeau, and one of the big criticisms of the Trudeau government is that they have tried too hard to cozy up to China. Now we are being played by China as they hold two Canadians hostage because we exercised a US extradition warrant on Meng Wanzhou. There is no gain in being buddies with China. They will cut you loose whenever it suits them, friend or no friend. Just like Gweilo and his videos.

Its embarrassing to see these guys grovel and squirm for the Chinese government. Maybe just give up the you tubing if thats the price you have to pay.

• Like 1

Watchin' a good bit of them two ol' boyz on their mini-bike tour of Chinartucky has been really nice. And, their jibber jabber about China more and more made me think an awful lot of my ol' southern daddy, rest his soul.

One of the many lessons Billy Wilson (my daddy) made sure I unnerstood was his lesson that starts out with the words, "When in Rome......" :victory: Did someone fergit to inform them two young pups that "THE COMMIES ARE LISTENIN" ?

Oh well, I did hope the best for them once I saw them start flirting with dangerous talk about Chinartucky. I cringed a few times for them and thought, well sir, these two sod busters are talkin' themselves out of the good life in Chinar.I did really like their mini-bike videos. They were exciting in the city ridiing but I'd have to have a huge cow catcher on the front of my Harley to be able to handle the city traffic like them boyz did. :rotfl: They were good at that.

Yawn, what day is it? This quarantine stuff is makin' my butt itch. It may be time for me to have a small chat with Mother Nature, then put on all of my PPE and go swing a leg over my 06' Springer softail and run some oxygen through her 103 lungs as we share her Harley song with the purple mountain majesty of these here rural Pennsyltucky mountains. :happy2:

Hot cha cha cha, one might say

I knew them ole boys was a getin in deep do do too. But you could not tell them anything and a couple of us here tried to talk to them but they just keep digging the hole deeper and deeper. When you get a little bit of fame and it goes to your fat head ain't that usually the way it goes? Good to see you ole boy. :victory: Glad you ain't pushing up daisies yet. :dsheep: How are things in Pensiltuckey?

• Like 1

I also love the deluge of videos (from multiple content creators) that argue that the Western media treats China unfairly... and never mention the propaganda and half-truths that the Chinese media spews about the west.

I remember a few weeks ago a politician (congressman?) said in a TV interview "it'd be awesome if the virus settled down by the end of April so we could slowly start to re-open the economy". My wife showed me a few articles in China that translated his statement to something along the lines of "A US politician, going against the will of the people, angrily pushes for the US to immediately re-open, threatens use of force" or some other garbage like that.

Any change to US immigration policy always produces a flurry of non-sense articles about how much the US government hates Chinese people and other immigrants, and how the US is an asshair away from revoking all green cards of Chinese living in the US. My wife showed me a bunch of them that came out when Nigeria was added to the travel ban...

Edited by Barfus (see edit history)

I also love the deluge of videos (from multiple content creators) that argue that the Western media treats China unfairly... and never mention the propaganda and half-truths that the Chinese media spews about the west.

I remember a few weeks ago a politician (congressman?) said in a TV interview "it'd be awesome if the virus settled down by the end of April so we could slowly start to re-open the economy". My wife showed me a few articles in China that translated his statement to something along the lines of "A US politician, going against the will of the people, angrily pushes for the US to immediately re-open, threatens use of force" or some other garbage like that.

Any change to US immigration policy always produces a flurry of non-sense articles about how much the US government hates Chinese people and other immigrants, and how the US is an asshair away from revoking all green cards of Chinese living in the US. My wife showed me a bunch of them that came out when Nigeria was added to the travel ban...

The current chinese response to criticism of the blatant anti-black racism going on in Guangzhou recently is " The US is worse!", without even giving any examples as if it s given that the US is automatically the worst country in the world when it comes to racism.

It makes me mad, and I'm not even an American. And it makes me made because I genuinely like chinese people. How can they act like that!

I saw this question on another forum and it did make me curious. Does anyone know how Winston (SerpentZA) managed to legally immigrate to the US with his wife? Did Laowhy set up some sort of company to sponsor him on a work visa? Is he here on one of the "talent" visas (eg O visa)? Did he come on a tourist visa and apply for asylum LOL?

I saw this question on another forum and it did make me curious. Does anyone know how Winston (SerpentZA) managed to legally immigrate to the US with his wife? Did Laowhy set up some sort of company to sponsor him on a work visa? Is he here on one of the "talent" visas (eg O visa)? Did he come on a tourist visa and apply for asylum LOL?

I've wondered that myself. I doubt that he and C-milk could have arranged it themselves. I think he said something about a "business visa" at one point, but I have no idea as to exactly what it would have been. I doubt that YouTube would have helped him, but you never know.

• Like 1

I've wondered that myself. I doubt that he and C-milk could have arranged it themselves. I think he said something about a "business visa" at one point, but I have no idea as to exactly what it would have been. I doubt that YouTube would have helped him, but you never know.

The typical business visa is the B1 visa, but that would only allow him to stay for up to six months.

I've heard of some YouTube "celebrities" getting O visas. I believe there is an accompanying O-something visa for spouses. It allows for a 3-year stay and unlimited 1-year extensions. It does not allow you to adjust status, however, which would make me nervous. I assume C-milk has some sort of "media company" that vouched for him. H1b would also allow for two 3-year stays, as well as adjust status if the sponsoring company is will to pay, although I'm not sure someone like Winston would qualify. Possibly an L1 visa as well.

I still think the asylum claim is possible, given he's a white man from South Africa whose days in China were numbered. It could take years before his application is adjudicated and I believe he'd be able to legally work and live in the US while awaiting his interview.

C-Milk is an American citizen, who filed DCF for his wife while they were in China. During the process, he dropped by here, and on VJ.

He got an exit visa for his child, while renouncing her Chinese citizenship. Winston will need to do the same thing, but may be required to appear in person at the PSB. They will need to rely on travel permits to allow the baby's entry into China unless he is able to do that.