SerpentZA and Other Vloggers

Randy W

As we have discussed here, being a travel blogger is a full time job and Amy reveals how she handles it. I give people like her all the credit and they work very hard to maintain that kind of lifestyle. Interesting that she plans to be China based. Maybe she can do a trip to Xinjiang, I hear they have some nice camps there that people would like to see.

Did a 1+ hour workout today and caught up on a few of Gweilo's recent videos and a few of Laowhy/SerptentZA videos they released over the past year.

His most recent video is titled "You Don't Know China". Just a bunch of the same recycled grandstanding about how no one (except him) knows what the "real" China is like, because apparently he buys food at the wet market and rides an ebike... Somehow he omits the fact that he speaks no Chinese, cannot communicate with Chinese people or read anything in his environment, hasn't worked, studied, or raised a kid in China, his wife basically does everything for him, and so on... Saw another vid about what the world can learn from China regarding the coronavirus, and about halfway through he started going on another Trump rant which is when I skipped to the next video, as it's the same damn spiel over and over. And I'm no Trump supporter and do think we could've borrowed some strategies from China in containing the coronavirus. But for some reason hearing him complain gave me a headache. And holy hell are his comments a dumpster fire - basically all wumao.

Saw a few bits of random Laowhy86/SerpentZA and their videos suck now. It's all scripted, stock footage, and mostly stuff they've already talked about. Not engaging at all.

Edited by Barfus (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This looks pretty interesting. I'll go ahead and post it now, even though I've watched less than half of it.

A live interview of the boys by Chris Chapell and China Uncensored on his China Unscripted channel. The boys spill quite a few beans about what happened with them beginning with the Conquering Northern China trip, and the "pivotal moment", after they had returned from filming, when they realized they were under siege.

• Like 1

It's actually pretty good, and fills in quite a few gaps about their story, if you don't mind spending 70 minutes on it. They dabble in the inane from time-to-time, but it's pretty well paced and informative.

It's actually pretty good, and fills in quite a few gaps about their story, if you don't mind spending 70 minutes on it. They dabble in the inane from time-to-time, but it's pretty well paced and informative.

As much as I don't like Falun Gong or China Uncensored, or Chris Chappel, I thought this was worth watching.

You get the boys' China disillusionment all in one piece, and you can see that they had to leave, and you understand that they still like the Chinese people.

Too bad because the Conquering China series, was good, poking into obscure corners of a vast country, and illustrating what a diverse and fascinating place that it is.

I totally understand why people have become tired of them, I still think they showed us a lot about a place that has become a part of their lives, and always will be part of them as they have Chinese spouses and family and kids.

The kind of stuff that they were doing has become impossible in Xi Jinping's China and we are all losers because of it.

I will never visit China again, and I wish I would have done the things that they did, but i didn't and now nobody can.

• Like 1

As much as I don't like Falun Gong or China Uncensored, or Chris Chappel, I thought this was worth watching.

You get the boys' China disillusionment all in one piece, and you can see that they had to leave, and you understand that they still like the Chinese people.

Too bad because the Conquering China series, was good, poking into obscure corners of a vast country, and illustrating what a diverse and fascinating place that it is.

I totally understand why people have become tired of them, I still think they showed us a lot about a place that has become a part of their lives, and always will be part of them as they have Chinese spouses and family and kids.

The kind of stuff that they were doing has become impossible in Xi Jinping's China and we are all losers because of it.

I will never visit China again, and I wish I would have done the things that they did, but i didn't and now nobody can.

They will forever be legends - despite their slow decline into obscurity. Hopefully they'll find their rhythm going forward and branch off into something else, but such a huge part of their identity and expertise is their time in China. I know a guy who got a Bachelor's degree in Marketing, went to China for a few years to teach English, and upon his return had an absolutely brutal time finding a day job in the US. Every interview he made it to (which weren't many) he was asked about the 2-3 year "vacation" he took after college and why he didn't have any work experience at age 25. He ended up getting a few certificates in IT, started as an entry-level help desk grunt making $10/hour, and slowly worked his way up to a stable full-time IT job in health care.

Aside from perhaps some media jobs (difficult to get and maintain) or ESL jobs in the US (very few and low paying), Laowhy/SerpentZA are way behind on the typical trajectory of a "normal" job. Hopefully they've banked the money they made in China.

Also agree about the "golden age" of China being over... for now. From my personal experience 2008-2016 was an absolutely magical time over there (which matches a lot of other peoples' opinions), but the simultaneous rise of both Trump and Xi have put that to a swift end.

• Like 2

They still have an income through Patreon, which, of course, is why they have to keep up the travel blogs. I think it's sizable, but not on the scale of where they should be professionally, or where they need to be in terms of a living wage.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Also agree about the "golden age" of China being over... for now. From my personal experience 2008-2016 was an absolutely magical time over there (which matches a lot of other peoples' opinions), but the simultaneous rise of both Trump and Xi have put that to a swift end.

Agree. These kind of things can turn around quickly, but I dont see any sign of that happening now.

• Like 1