I am confused by contradicting information on updating address

Hello,

It has been a long time since I have posted anything here on Candle. I have come here to try and get some "correct" information about updating addresses on both a I-130 petition...... as well as for my wife who is a green card holder living here in the states. The more I read on the USCIS - the more I get confused. Here is what I need......

Our address here in the states has changed and needs to be reported (AR-11 I assume) - But the address of the beneficiary of my wife's petition for her son (I-130) to come here, has changed as well. I have read where only the petitioner needs to change that address - but this does not seem right to me. And I have read where this can be done online - which also doesn't seem right to me either. And other proceedures that just don't seem right to me. Anyway - I am really confused and need some straight answers.

Can someone please answer here or direct me to a place where I can get BOTH of these answers in plain english?

Thanks for your help,

Scott

Once petition is approved and sent to NVC, then update beneficiary address at that time with the NVC.

As for petitioner moving within the USA they file an AR-11, if petitioner is still a green-card holder and their sponsor moved as well, the sponsor who provided the I-864 needs to file an I-865 to show their change of address.

I am also confused on this subject. My wife and I both live in China. I filed an I-864 for her and we have also filed her DS-260 and supporting documentation. We just moved to a new address in China. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I need to file an AR-11 for her and an I-865 for me. The instructions on the I-865 form list 4 different addresses to send it to, all noted to use if you live in the specific US states listed. What do I do if I live outside of the US?

Then, the AR-11 has a option to file on line. When I look to fill out that form, it has a drop down for the form that it is related to. There is no DS-260 listed. It does list the I-130, which I filled out, but that form seems like it is more about me than her.

If I look at the paper form of the AR-11, there is no place to put her case number or anything to tie it to the forms that are currently in the system.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

I am also confused on this subject. My wife and I both live in China. I filed an I-864 for her and we have also filed her DS-260 and supporting documentation. We just moved to a new address in China. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I need to file an AR-11 for her and an I-865 for me. The instructions on the I-865 form list 4 different addresses to send it to, all noted to use if you live in the specific US states listed. What do I do if I live outside of the US?

Then, the AR-11 has a option to file on line. When I look to fill out that form, it has a drop down for the form that it is related to. There is no DS-260 listed. It does list the I-130, which I filled out, but that form seems like it is more about me than her.

If I look at the paper form of the AR-11, there is no place to put her case number or anything to tie it to the forms that are currently in the system.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

The AR-11 is for Aliens residing in the United States. The form asks for the A number. There is no space for a foreign address.

Changing her address with the USCIS will not affect her visa application, which is with the Dept. of State.

Also I-864 has to have a US Domicile address for it to be valid, it is for support after arriving in the states. If your state side address changed since providing the I-864 then provide an I-865 after arriving in the states.

Contact the consulate using their on line form on their website.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/immigrant-visa-unit-question.html

Typically they only mail correspondence for:

• P3 (Initial instructions directing to file DS-230, prepare I-864, gather documents, instructions on where to do medical)
  • P4 (Interview invitation letter, this is only in some cases, most are directed to US Travel docs website to schedule interview)
  • AP After interview correspondence if administrative processing is need after the interview.

Provide them details of case such as case number, Name and DOB of petitioner and beneficiary, and new address.

Are you saying that I don't need to do anything at this time since we live in China and our US PO Box has not changed? They have sent some correspondence to our previous physical address so it seems like it is something that should be changed.

You are dealing with two different departments of the United States government - the USCIS (or Homeland Security), and the Dept. of State. The one that needs to be notified is the Dept. of State, not the USCIS. Specifically, the Guangzhou consulate, since that is where her correspondence concerning her visa application will come from.

The AR-11 and I-865 forms are used to change your stateside address with the USCIS.

Are you saying that I don't need to do anything at this time since we live in China and our US PO Box has not changed? They have sent some correspondence to our previous physical address so it seems like it is something that should be changed.

You are dealing with two different departments of the United States government - the USCIS (or Homeland Security), and the Dept. of State. The one that needs to be notified is the Dept. of State, not the USCIS. Specifically, the Guangzhou consulate, since that is where her correspondence concerning her visa application will come from.

The AR-11 and I-865 forms are used to change your stateside address with the USCIS.

Thanks for this. Is there a specific precess to change the address with the Guangzhou consulate? Does it matter that I have not yet been notified that the case has been transferred to Guangzhou? I got stuck filling through mail because I mailed the Affidavit of Support in before I know there was an electronic option. I was notified about a month ago that it would be 3 months before they review her supporting documents that were submitted.

Edited by eikogs (see edit history)

If case is still at NVC in the states contact them by email or by phone and update the address with them.

To reach the National Visa Center (immigrant visa inquiries, including assistance regarding the new DS-260, Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application) call: (603) 334-0700 (7:00 a.m. EST to 12:00 midnight EST) or e-mail: nvcinquiry@state.gov.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/contact.html

If case is at consulate then use their web form to contact them.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/immigrant-visa-unit-question.html