Administrative Processing

Hello Everyone,

I completed my visa interview on Thursday May 22nd. It went successfully and because I am a foreigner living in Shanghai, I needed my passport to travel back. I then sent the passport back to the consulate via citic back the following Monday (May 26th). Since the visa is already approved, I assumed it would be a pretty quick turn around time between me re-submitting the passport and having it back. It has now been 3 weeks and I am getting a little anxious as we are scheduled to fly on July 1st. Status on CEAC still reads "administrative processing" (most recently updated today). What could be taking so long?! If it gets too close to my departure date without me having it back, any advice on what I should do? Thanks!

Three weeks is a LONG time for them to keep your passport. In fact, longer than ONE DAY is TOO LONG in my own opinion.

While it is unfortunately common these days for them to do that, I think you should be rattling their cage every chance you get - letting them know you NEED your passport back. I would contact them through their email form on their website, and in person, if you can. Every day.

Getting it back SOON shouldn't be a problem, but them keeping it for 3 weeks is a BIG problem.

Three weeks is a LONG time for them to keep your passport. In fact, longer than ONE DAY is TOO LONG in my own opinion.

While it is unfortunately common these days for them to do that, I think you should be rattling their cage every chance you get - letting them know you NEED your passport back. I would contact them through their email form on their website, and in person, if you can. Every day.

Getting it back SOON shouldn't be a problem, but them keeping it for 3 weeks is a BIG problem.

emphatically agree.

Yes, the process has been excruciating. At some point yesterday the status was updated to "issued", which I suppose is a good thing. It just surprises me it has taken this long. From this stage, how do I track my passport? I am concerned because when I go to us traveldocs site it doesn't give any information about my passport, and when I select the "track my passport" option and enter my passport number, the website says "there is no information available for the number entered". Still very nervous since the bank says they have nothing on record and the consulate keeps just telling me to submit a form letter - the operator won't put me through to someone I can actually speak to.

Could I also ask, once the status is updated to "issued" on the CEAC website, are there any further status updates? I went on the CGI Stanley website and called their help number as I am not sure what else I can do. The lady said my case was "abnormal" because her system reflects that the visa was granted on May 29th, and yet the consulate has still failed to update the system to show that the passport has in fact been dispatched. This of course increases my level of concern. I have emailed every form possible and am even now trying to schedule an appointment with the consulate here in Shanghai - doubtful they will be able to help, but I am not sure what else I can do.

Could I also ask, once the status is updated to "issued" on the CEAC website, are there any further status updates? I went on the CGI Stanley website and called their help number as I am not sure what else I can do. The lady said my case was "abnormal" because her system reflects that the visa was granted on May 29th, and yet the consulate has still failed to update the system to show that the passport has in fact been dispatched. This of course increases my level of concern. I have emailed every form possible and am even now trying to schedule an appointment with the consulate here in Shanghai - doubtful they will be able to help, but I am not sure what else I can do.

Probably not - but keep rattling cages.

Like I said -

I assume you're using the email form at http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/immigrant-visa-unit-question.html as one of your methods of contact?

Be sure to point out that foreigners in China should have their passports with them at all times.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I finally got my passport back after almost 5 weeks and 3 days before we were due to fly. It was extremely nerve wracking and I am so glad it is over. We have successfully moved to the US now and waiting for the green card/social security card.

Quick questions, what happens after that. I know I have to change my status to permanent before our 2nd year anniversary, but is there anything I need to be doing now?

I also need to travel for a few weeks in September. I believe there is another process involved with this - the I131? Could someone advise as to how this works?

Thanks!

Hi All,

I finally got my passport back after almost 5 weeks and 3 days before we were due to fly. It was extremely nerve wracking and I am so glad it is over. We have successfully moved to the US now and waiting for the green card/social security card.

Quick questions, what happens after that. I know I have to change my status to permanent before our 2nd year anniversary, but is there anything I need to be doing now?

I also need to travel for a few weeks in September. I believe there is another process involved with this - the I131? Could someone advise as to how this works?

Thanks!

Give it about 4 weeks, and if SSN fails to arrive in the mail, go to the SSA office and file for one.

Green-card should arrive within a month or so, however your visa will serve as a green-card until then.

Answering questions.

Your status is lawful permanent resident, however if you had less than 2 years of marriage before arriving in the USA you will have conditions set on residency, that will be in a marital relationship at 2 years of residency, your would not be changing status, just removing the conditions.

The conditions are not removed at 2 year anniversary of marriage, you do this at 2 years or residency which starts at arrival in the USA, you will be filing an I-751 within 90 days before the 2 years.

To prepare for removal of conditions two years from now, you need to develop a file containing evidence of marriage, things like joint banking account, joint credit cards, joint banking, get added to spouse insurance, and many other proofs of living together.

As for travel, all you need is passport with visa having I-551 notation and validation stamp from the POE, after getting green-card you need to have the card when traveling. I-131 is only needed if you plan on being out of the country longer than 1 year but less than 2 years.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All,

Quick question, I am now in the US and have receive my Social Security Card. I am still waiting for my green card though.

Am I able to start work with just the Social security card or is there some legal documentation I must provide to prove my elligibility to work in the US.

Thanks!

Hi All,

Quick question, I am now in the US and have receive my Social Security Card. I am still waiting for my green card though.

Am I able to start work with just the Social security card or is there some legal documentation I must provide to prove my elligibility to work in the US.

Thanks!

Yes, take a close look at your Visa if CR-1 or IR-1 it should have an I-551 notation along bottom edge, that makes your passport act as a green card for up to 1 year or until you get the card. The passport will serve as work authorization.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/images/Machinereadableimmigrantvisa.jpg

If your visa is a K-1 you will need an EAD card or green card to work.