I-130 is finally approved after 10 months.

So the two photos for each applicants are scan and send via email. Then submit the photos in the interview?

Just to confirm, for the 1 year old, still need two photos as well? ( Didn't submit the photo for the daughter's application, at that time she was 3 month old)

You'll receive instructions about what to do at each stage. These instructions are evolving, and in many cases, different for different visa types.

From our perspective, we are unable to follow through the electronic process to see exactly what the steps are and where differences occur - in the past, all forms and instructions were available publicly for anyone to see.

My favorite advice these days seems to be - Follow the instructions you are given.

Some tips for passport photos are at http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/general/photos.html

If the appearance of your child under the age of 16 has changed due to the normal aging process, he or she will generally not have to provide a new photo. However, the acceptance of your photo or digital image is at the discretion of the U.S. embassy or consulate where you apply.

One Question regarding filling out the I-864 Part 6:

In the I-864 instruction, it states "This section is used to determine the sponsor's household income. Take your annual individual income from Item 5. and enter it on Iten Number 6.c. If this amount is greater than 125 % of the PVG, you do not need to include any household memeber's income."

My understanding of "Take your annual individual income from Item 5. and enter it on Iten Number 6.c." is for the caculation of the PVG. I don't really need to enter into the 6.c. or 6.a and 6.b. Correct? I don't understand couldn't they just say, compare the number in Item 5 with the I-864P table to determind if any household member's income needed for item 6-10.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

If the amount on line 5 exceeds 125% PVG for a family of your size, then nothing is needed on 6c through 9c transfer line 5 to line 10.

• 1 month later...

1. I-864W is for waiving the I-864, is for cases where the prospective immigrant has qualified for waiver.

• Prospective immigrant has been in the states on a non-immigrant visa that allowed work, (Work Visa, Student visa, or some other non immigrant status that allowed getting an EAD) and can be credited for 40 quarters of work.
  • Or the immigrant is adjusting status, and has no spouse sponsor due to unusual circumstances, (Spouse had passed away, separated or divorced due to abuse, etc.)
  • Child of US citizen who would become a citizen upon entry to the USA on an immigrant visa.

You wont be using this form for your spouse however could use it for child, however the I-864 asks if there are any other immigrants, immigrating at tame time as principle immigrant.

2. Yes, you can use an I-864W for child, however child is immigrating at same time as your spouse, so you would count the child on your spouse's I-864 as an immigrant. If child were immigrating at a later time beyond 6 months after your spouse, then you would use the I-864W

3. You will be using one I-864 to sponsor both immigrants.

I-864:

Part 2 will be your spouse.

Part 3 section 2.a. you will be your child.

Part 5

1. 2 Your spouse and child
  2. 1 Yourself
  3. 0 You do not count your spouse twice, already counted on line 1
  4. 0 You do not count child twice, already counted on line 1

Once child has entered the USA, simply apply for her citizenship document (N-600) or a US Passport to prove citizenship.

Dan and all nice people on this board:

I finally got both my wife and daughter's GUZ number from NVC emails to me. Looks like they have some changes to the process? They directly sent me , the petitioner, two emails. The emails are titled "GUZXXXXXXXXXXX (ACL FOR WWRO)(CC)" with a PDF letter to the principle applicant instruct to submit the DS-261 online. We have already submit the DS-261 online to point me as the agent. I also received email for the AOS fee, which I paid as well. I received one email for paying IV fee, still waiting for the IV fee email for my wife.

I have some questions:

First of all, although I filed two I-130, shouldn't NVC combined them into one NVC Immigration visa case?

2. Since now there are two NVC cases, I called the NVC, they told me I need to submit two I-864, but they won't be able to tell me which I-864 I should use. It is obvious with two NVC cases, there will be further delays, Is it possible to ask NVC to combine it into one NVC case?

Thanks in advance!

Bill

My daughter currently is a Chinese citizen, because when she was born, I was not an US citizen yet.

My questions are:

1. If I file the I-864W for her, does this mean when my daughter enter the US, she will not be given a green card?

2. We would like to have her maintain the Chinese citizenship and passport simply for convenient of traveling back and forth between China and US. We will file for her naturalization later before her 18th birthday. Is this possible? How?

I called NVC call center, they told me they can not tell me which I-864 I should use.However, they said if I use the wrong I-864, they will ask us to resubmit the correct one. They told me I need to file two I-864 forms since there are two NVC cases.

I really doubt the lady answered the phone gave me the correct information. Any one here can confirm whether I need two I-864 or just one? I am stuck here.

Thanks in advance!

Bill

I-864 can be used to sponsor more than 1 immigrant if they are immigrating at same time, however it is also possible that they could be correct there are cases where there are derivative visas based on just one petition for example a sister and her family could be just one case number so one I-864

Depending on if you want daughter to be a resident alien or a citizen upon arrival I would file 2 I-864 in the case both will be green card holders or I would file an I-864 for spouse and an I-864W for child if you intend on claiming citizenship shortly after arrival.

My daughter currently is a Chinese citizen, because when she was born, I was not an US citizen yet.

My questions are:

1. If I file the I-864W for her, does this mean when my daughter enter the US, she will not be given a green card?

2. We would like to have her maintain the Chinese citizenship and passport simply for convenient of traveling back and forth between China and US. We will file for her naturalization later before her 18th birthday. Is this possible? How?

I called NVC call center, they told me they can not tell me which I-864 I should use.However, they said if I use the wrong I-864, they will ask us to resubmit the correct one. They told me I need to file two I-864 forms since there are two NVC cases.

I really doubt the lady answered the phone gave me the correct information. Any one here can confirm whether I need two I-864 or just one? I am stuck here.

Thanks in advance!

Bill

You have two cases until (and UNLESS) they tell you you have one, although it seems like you may only need to file one I-864.

The I-864W would be filed if you EXPECT to have her naturalized upon arrival. You need to decide if you want to do this, or to have her receive a green card. If you wish her to live in the U.S. as a Legal Permanent Resident, you will need to file the I-864.

The N-600 is an application for a Certificate of Naturalization for someone who is ALREADY a citizen - seems like I read that a green card is required for this in her case.

It's not clear that this has advantages over simply purchasing Chinese visas for her American passport, but I'll research the automatic citizenship to see if it's possible to decline it in favor of a green card.

Seems like green card renewal might be a problem, though, when the expiration date rolls around, since she would technically be a citizen.

Dan and Randy,

Thanks for the response!

Yes. I would like my daughter to enter the US and live here as a Permanent Resident. The reason I am so confused here is the lady at the NVC call center told me, if the child meet the automatic becoming US citizen requirement, she will be granted citizenship upon the entry not up to me to choose, which makes no sense. I am sure there are a lot of cases like ours, with children under 18 and one parent is US citizen. I am surprised that US does not provide an option for those children and automatically grant them the citizenship.

I search the internet, it seems no clear answer to our case one way or the other.

The second confusion part is how many I-864 do I need to file. According to the NVC lady, I have two NVC case, I need to file two I-864. However, I see suggestions for me to file only one I-864 to include both of them. How can I find a definite answer on this?

Thanks!

Bill

Dan and Randy,

Thanks for the response!

Yes. I would like my daughter to enter the US and live here as a Permanent Resident. The reason I am so confused here is the lady at the NVC call center told me, if the child meet the automatic becoming US citizen requirement, she will be granted citizenship upon the entry not up to me to choose, which makes no sense. I am sure there are a lot of cases like ours, with children under 18 and one parent is US citizen. I am surprised that US does not provide an option for those children and automatically grant them the citizenship.

I search the internet, it seems no clear answer to our case one way or the other.

The second confusion part is how many I-864 do I need to file. According to the NVC lady, I have two NVC case, I need to file two I-864. However, I see suggestions for me to file only one I-864 to include both of them. How can I find a definite answer on this?

Thanks!

Bill

Automatic citizenship is apparently not optional, any more than citizenship at birth is optional.

The problem with what you want to do is that she will need a green card in order to be able to leave China without having to apply for a visa each time. Green cards are not available to American citizens.

I think (but I'm not sure of this) what you will find out is that she will get her green card on arrival, but then may have trouble renewing it.

The U.S. DOES grant automatic citizenship to these (YOUR) children - you are saying you do not want it for her. If you seriously want her to use her Chinese passport and green card to travel between the U.S. and China, you may wish to consult with an immigration attorney to make sure that she will be able to maintain (keep and renew) her green card.

The other option is - Why not simply get her an American passport once she gets here?

You HAVE 2 cases - you NEED 2 I-864's. I believe you will be billed for 1 or 2 as appropriate, but, in the meantime, you need to submit 2 until you are told otherwise.