My wife wants her parents to visit

My wife is wanting her parents to visit here. My wife just got her 2 yr green card a few months ago. Is there an amount of time we should wait before applying for her parents to visit? Is there a string on how we would go about doing that? Anyone have experience with this? My wife has considered looking into having her parents immigrate here but I've heard its easier to do that if she becomes an American citizen first. Any thoughts?

thanks guys

You won't be filing anything for them, the in-laws will be filing DS-160 and interviewing for a B-2 visa at the US-Consulate having jurisdiction over where they live. And there is no wait time for them to file an DS-160 for a B-2 visa.

If they have traveled out of China before, they should have less of a problem getting a visa, they will need to show ties and a reason that they will return to China after their visit.

Actually if your spouse is a US citizen first can make it trickier to get a visit visa, the thinking is the VO knows that once parent is in the states, they could simply remain and adjust status based on US Citizen filing an I-130 with their AOS. Immigration intent is always assumed, and having child as a US Citizen can be leveraged as a route to immigrate.

See topics tagged B-2 and DS-160 below, or click the tags just below this topic title.

Lastly about immigrating, this can only happen after your wife first becomes a US Citizen, 3+ years from now, she would then file an I-130 for each parent, and they would interview in Guangzhou for an IR-5 immigrant visa.

Gonna need to update that thread a little, The consulate has drastically changed the procedure to apply, pay for and receive visa to a streamlined process here:

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/cn/index.html (English)

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/cn_zh/index.html (Chinese)

Just keep in mind the B2 is not an easy visa to get. It's all about the applicant proving to the VO that he/she has a compelling reason to go back to China after the visit, period. Those reasons may include some or all of the following: ownership of properties in China such as their own home, money in the bank, a good job and/or good income, children and other family there, and any other connections that would prevent a person from wanting to overstay a visa, etc. IMO, the VO's suspect every applicant as a potential overstayer and it is totally and completely up to the applicant to overcome the VO's bias. The more you can prove and the more paperwork documenting it all, the better. IMO, the govt makes 99% of it's decision based on documentation.

My wife's mom applied twice, and was twice denied, the second time she was at the interview she said most of the people interviewed were denied. She is married, owns her home, has a retirement income and a reasonable amount of money in the bank, but that was obviously not enough.

My wife became a citizen last year, so we gave up on the B2 route and applied for green cards for her parents.

• Like 1

Just keep in mind the B2 is not an easy visa to get. It's all about the applicant proving to the VO that he/she has a compelling reason to go back to China after the visit, period. Those reasons may include some or all of the following: ownership of properties in China such as their own home, money in the bank, a good job and/or good income, children and other family there, and any other connections that would prevent a person from wanting to overstay a visa, etc. IMO, the VO's suspect every applicant as a potential overstayer and it is totally and completely up to the applicant to overcome the VO's bias. The more you can prove and the more paperwork documenting it all, the better. IMO, the govt makes 99% of it's decision based on documentation.

My wife's mom applied twice, and was twice denied, the second time she was at the interview she said most of the people interviewed were denied. She is married, owns her home, has a retirement income and a reasonable amount of money in the bank, but that was obviously not enough.

My wife became a citizen last year, so we gave up on the B2 route and applied for green cards for her parents.

That's odd Ken. We had no issues getting MIL over, nor sister-in-law and yesterday the nephew got here all on B2s.

(BTW: While MIL was here on B2 we easily got her green card)

Edited by Yuanyang (see edit history)

That's odd Ken. We had no issues getting MIL over, nor sister-in-law and yesterday the nephew got here all on B2s.

We thought she had all her ducks in a row. We were going to try a 3rd time but decided to just go for the IR5 for both her parents.

We thought she had all her ducks in a row. We were going to try a 3rd time but decided to just go for the IR5 for both her parents.

Best of luck Ken.