Hi,

I am asking this question for a friend who has met his first Chinese woman and may be serious about marrying her and trying to bring her to the States.

He is a convicted felon. He served his time and is now on parole. Does anybody have any information on if this situation will cause him problems down the road in the visa process for her? And will it even affect his chance of obtaining a travel visa to go to China?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

m-coon

Depending on what the conviction was for it can and probably will kill any hope of getting a visa for a spouse or fiancee.

Number of topics tagged Adam Walsh Act and IMBRA in the tag cloud on the forum index page.

As for restriction on travel to China, all I can find from China Embassy is:

Any person suffering from a mental disorder, leprosy, AIDS, venereal diseases, contagious tuberculosis or other such infectious diseases shall not be permitted to enter China.
http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/t84246.htm

Reddragon75 was able to visit China, and has lived over there while dealing with many problems trying to get a visa for his wife, ultimately it looks like they have a very steep uphill battle because of his past conviction.

• 2 months later...

As stated, it depends on what the conviction was for. I can tell you from experience, I am a convictd felon under the Adam Walsh Act for an offense that happened 10 years ago. My wife and I have been trying to get a petition approval for more than 5 years, but have been unable to do so because of my conviction, despite the fact that I have sent a huge amount of evidence to try to overcome their denials. Our case has been denied 2 times and I filed an appeal with the Board of Immigration Appeals.

In regard to your friend getting a Chinese visa being a convicted felon, I don't think there would be a problem with that. I have received one 4 times after disclosing my conviction to the Consulate. In fact, the funny thing is that for the previous 3 visas I got I didn't even have to go to the Consulate to get it. I had a visa service company do it for me. They knew about my conviction and never even wanted to interview me. But, this recent time I put on the visa application that my occupation was Broadcasting/Journalism. THEN....they wanted me to come in for an interview with the Consulate Officer before they would gve me a visa.

So, your friend will have no trouble going to China and meeting someone. However, if the offense was anything related to the Adam Walsh Act, unless he is willing to go through a lot of pain and hardship and put her through it too, or willng to spend the rest of their lives together in China, then tell your friend not to waste his time. He should just find someone who already lives in the US.

• Like 1