Do you wear an N95 mask?

Fu Lai

Do you wear an N95 mask?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of mask do you wear?

• I always/sometimes wear the safest N95 mask anytime I am out of my house or another building
    • I always/sometimes wear the safest N95 mask only when I am outside (not in a bus or taxi)
    • I always/sometimes wear a lesser mask or scarf despite it's lack of protection (it looks better)
    • I am indestructable, never a mask for me

Okay ex-pats in China, fess up, do you wear a mask to combat your inhalation of pollution?

Most people living in metropolitan cities want to protect themselves from dust and air particles, obnoxious gases and harmful chemicals being released in the air by the ever-growing number of automobiles and the pollutants ejected by chemical and other industries. No wonder why the demand for different types of respirators and masks such as N95 Respirator Mask keeps on growing rapidly. http://www.n95-mask.info/

Don't know why ya would need a mask when they're sellin all them cans of fresh air in china. Last count I seen, they had sold 8 million cans so far. Just pop the top and fffwwippppppt. Ahhhhhhhhhh. So good! Why heck, I'll bet Randy has got a few cases of that special "Tibet" fresh air stashed away.

Don't know why ya would need a mask when they're sellin all them cans of fresh air in china. Last count I seen, they had sold 8 million cans so far. Just pop the top and fffwwippppppt. Ahhhhhhhhhh. So good! Why heck, I'll bet Randy has got a few cases of that special "Tibet" fresh air stashed away.

Nope - this is the oxygen lady, trying to get me to breathe mine so she wouldn't have to carry it back to the hotel (she ended up just breathing it herself) in Xianggelila

gallery_1846_633_396556.jpg

I'd be tempted to buy a mask for riding my bicycle (the cars kick up a pretty good cloud of dust), but so far I haven't.

The air seems fairly clean here.

What's the AQI for Yulin right now? I know it is very cold there presently but I also know air pollution (greenhouse gases, sulfur dioxide particulates) from reliance on coal produces acid rain exists too. Just wondering.

While I ain't no ex-fat, I spent a cumulative year over yonder in Chinartucky while in the 5 year war with Unka Sam's State Department. I gotta say, in our home on the outskirts of Fushun away from the noise, pollution, and crush of people, I didn't need no mask while outside tiny hiney gazin'...but inside the home....that's another story.

I bought some of them masks for after I exit a particular zesty session in the John (or Batroom as my wee wife calls it). WHOOO WEEE Them Chinartuckians don't know nuttin' about no smog and pollution till they stroll into a Batroom I jes got finished my moan'in costitutional and library readin' in.

Them masks work quite well. Ain't nobody in the family died yet.

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

What's the AQI for Yulin right now? I know it is very cold there presently but I also know air pollution (greenhouse gases, sulfur dioxide particulates) from reliance on coal produces acid rain exists too. Just wondering.

Don't know - it's usually hazy, but it's plenty hazy even in valleys where there is no industry at all (and few cars). No, I don't worry about air pollution here

The temperature is in the 75° to 80°F range this week - and yes, plenty of people are still bundled up in their parkas or other jackets.

I read up on N95 face mask, and it is useless for protecting the wearer.

It is designed to protect OTHER people from some contamination the wearer has.

If you want to protect yourself, it must completely seal your face with a n95 respirator.

Perhaps I will buy some of those to wear in China.

Huh? "useless" for the wearer? "N95 Respirator Mask is designed to filter 95% of the airborne particles of 0.3 microns or larger that might penetrate through the nose and mouth of the wearers." They are designed to seal your mouth and nose. Mine work great and they cost just Y1.5!

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.0.188.5bMOCc&id=15982134988

http://img06.taobaocdn.com/bao/uploaded/i6/T1xT5CXe46XXXEVBbb_124736.jpg_310x310.jpg

I read up on N95 face mask, and it is useless for protecting the wearer. It is designed to protect OTHER people from some contamination the wearer has. If you want to protect yourself, it must completely seal your face with a n95 respirator.

Edited by Fu Lai (see edit history)

Oops, must have the wrong Yulin that is currently -19 :blush:

The temperature is in the 75° to 80°F range this week - and yes, plenty of people are still bundled up in their parkas or other jackets.

We are in Yulin, Guangxi (not Yulin, Shanxi) - about 100 mi directly east of Nanning, and 200 mi directly west from Hong Kong.

Huh? "useless" for the wearer? "N95 Respirator Mask is designed to filter 95% of the airborne particles of 0.3 microns or larger that might penetrate through the nose and mouth of the wearers." They are designed to seal your mouth and nose. Mine work great and they cost just Y1.5!

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.0.188.5bMOCc&id=15982134988

http://img06.taobaocdn.com/bao/uploaded/i6/T1xT5CXe46XXXEVBbb_124736.jpg_310x310.jpg

I read up on N95 face mask, and it is useless for protecting the wearer. It is designed to protect OTHER people from some contamination the wearer has. If you want to protect yourself, it must completely seal your face with a n95 respirator.

Yes, I think it is naming of the products.

There is something called a N95 facemask that doesn't seal the nose and mouth, used by doctors in operating rooms.

Then, some other thing called a N95 respirator that DOES seal nose and mouth.

The one you referenced is the respirator, and it says works. What I see many people wear is the face mask.

Oops, wrong link... correct is http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.0.146.5QtpeR&id=15600335313 Yes, the surgical masks etc. don't block much but these ones here have bendable metal inside them to fit the contour of your face and quilted cloth that makes them washable, reusable. I see the price is down to Y1.2. Haha, I bought 100 and they make a thoughtful gift!

Edited by Fu Lai (see edit history)