Randy W

On 1/6/2023 at 3:20 PM, Randy W said:

I had her take a test again today - no T band at all. But she's going to the hospital for her cough.

The new tests came in - she had me take one, and I'm negative now also. I didn't much care WHAT it says - I'm still sick, but much better.

So she finally explained that she was trying to look ahead to the New Year and get me in for an IV for the cough if it's still around on Monday.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Back to the hospital, this time for a (benign) enlarged prostate. I'm facing 5 days of (outpatient) IV's, at which point, if I can prove that I can actually pee without a catheter, they'll let me go without surgery. The hospital here is busy, but not over-crowded. COVID is running loose in China, including here, but Yulin is in better shape than some of the bigger cities.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Randy W said:

Back to the hospital, this time for a (benign) enlarged prostate. I'm facing 5 days of (outpatient) IV's, at which point, if I can prove that I can actually pee without a catheter, they'll let me go without surgery. The hospital here is busy, but not over-crowded. COVID is running loose in China, including here, but Yulin is in better shape than some of the bigger cities.

Take care of yourself Randy - hope all goes well these next few days

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 12:50 AM, Randy W said:

from an old high school friend (Class of '70) still posting on Facebook after a recent heart transplant

. . .

To be sure I do everything properly, my room is now a glass walled room.  Speech therapists closely watch how I eat and swallow. When I do it right, they jump and cheer.  
They are annoying, but the bathroom observers are just downright freaky. they chant encouragement, and when you succeed, they jump and scream “bombs away”

. . .

Okay all done. Had the catheter withdrawn today. I was too apprehensive about the procedure to appreciate it, but the nurse gave me a nice little massage while pulling it out. I'm a little disappointed that I'm back to my old "double dribble" style, but it seems to be functional again (I was generating as much as 2½ liters in 2 or 3 hours with the catheter in). I thought about asking if I could borrow my friend's cheering section for the test, but I got through it on my own with no real pain.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

lots of people at the PSB Entry & Exit Bureau with the new Feb 6 openings. Time for me to renew my residence permit.

But no one in the foreigners section - we got in and out pretty quickly.

20230208_152721.jpg

new photo booths to take your own picture

20230208_152716.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The bro-in-law's living room

三路砺磁出声了,挺好的,有限的频宽但声音宽松自然,有点电影里上世纪三四十年代酒吧的气氛,舒服![呲牙]

The sound of the three-way magnetic field is very good. The limited bandwidth but the sound is loose and natural. It is a bit like the atmosphere of the bar in the 1930s and 1940s in the movie. It is comfortable!  [呲牙]

https://www.facebook.com/randy.walser/posts/pfbid0BwWra8dzbQ1qSD15tN7ejiPQVsgZ8SppMVrsx59RUFTQqW65vZoT9A6ZVDbgo6c1l

Interesting - I just translated the last 2 characters [呲牙] - [Cī yá] or See ya!

I came across this - something I had saved a long time ago, and forgotten I still had.

When I was preparing to move to China, I subscribed to a mailing service (USAMail1). In order to see how it worked, I sent a letter to myself. The envelope apparently got a little damp, and ripped open by the sorting machinery. The postal service employees didn't match them up.

The envelope was taped together and put into one plastic envelope. The letter inside had our address (care of Jiaying's mother) on it and was put into another plastic envelope. 

The letter inside was delivered to us a couple of months later in China with no postage whatsoever.

USAMail1 test letter.jpg

Another visit from the police. My guess is that someone reported a strange foreigner in their midst, and, not having a record of any recently arrived laowei, they came and tracked me down. This form appears to be for recently arived visitors. No problem.

20230317_124003[1] redacted.jpg

23 hours ago, Randy W said:

Another visit from the police. My guess is that someone reported a strange foreigner in their midst, and, not having a record of any recently arrived laowei, they came and tracked me down. This form appears to be for recently arived visitors. No problem.

20230317_124003[1] redacted.jpg

Turns out the lady I thought was from the PSB was actually from the front office. My guess is that when someone reported a "strange foreigner", they contacted the lady in the front office - someone who hadn't heard of me. She then brought the form for me to fill out, which the PSB used to match up to their records to see that it was, indeed, me!

• 5 months later...

A/C repair. The A/C frequently c20230823_200153.jpglogs up with pollution, usually when the condensation tube clogs and causes indoor waterfalls (including inside the refrigerator). But once in a while, we call the repair guy for a more thorough cleaning.

• 3 weeks later...

Screenshot_20230910_153503_Clime.jpg

Lots of rain in the area, but Yulin has good drainage, so no problem here.

One thing to watch out for is if an underground parking lot has a street level entrance. If it's not drained properly, runoff from the street will flood an underground lot. Ours has a six foot or so rise from the street before entering the garage - the only water down there is what drips off of incoming cars (well, okay, and pipe leakages also).

This videos is from Maoming and Beiliu (to the south and east of here).

https://www.toutiao.com/video/7276393527276293387/