Randy W

When my wife asked me "why are hotels in Chicago so expensive?" I made the mistake of saying that, unlike China - where NOTHING IS REAL - real estate prices and alternative investment costs must drive up room prices in Chicago.

She said WHAT?! And I ventured that easily obtained loans will cause too much 3 star or even 5 star build out in 2nd tier and lower cities in China and don't look forward to the day when those loans must be paid or default.

So, I'm guessing here that your hotel is quite a bargain; I know I've been in a few 3 and 4 star hotels out in the boonies where, like you said, I and a few other business interlopers were occupying the mansion.

When my wife asked me "why are hotels in Chicago so expensive?" I made the mistake of saying that, unlike China - where NOTHING IS REAL - real estate prices and alternative investment costs must drive up room prices in Chicago.

She said WHAT?! And I ventured that easily obtained loans will cause too much 3 star or even 5 star build out in 2nd tier and lower cities in China and don't look forward to the day when those loans must be paid or default.

So, I'm guessing here that your hotel is quite a bargain; I know I've been in a few 3 and 4 star hotels out in the boonies where, like you said, I and a few other business interlopers were occupying the mansion.

Absolutely well said. I just wish I could try and explain that to my wife. She has said everything from houses are cheaper here to houses are more expensive and I ask why the difference, and she just goes on to extol the vitues of China.....

The part about "don't look forward to the day when those loans must be paid or default" is so China but not to her. Chinese people good with money. No debt. Don't own bank.

We draw headlines when we borrow $10 trillion from China but their own people lose sight of their spending habits -- not that everyone commits bankruptcy. But it is part of the culture to go bankrupt over a wedding. And it seems socially acceptable to do so -- again, to many not everyone, there.

• Like 1

Okay -made it back! We sat in a traffic jam for over an hour after someone got rear-ended around 40-50 km to the east. Seems like in Nanning you sit at least 15-30 mins. at EVERY traffic light anyway.

Got my medical certificate, and re-loaded on steaks - think I'll go cook one!

Nanning 2018
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little fender scraper on G324

I was inching over to the shoulder to go around the big wreck when the guy in the truck decided he was going to GO

gallery_1846_816_603170.jpg

gallery_1846_816_212090.jpg

The police were already there for the BIG wreck - they gave the truck driver's license and registration to Jiaying to make sure that he would follow us to the body shop, where they decided that WE would pay $1000 for the damage to our own car

That must have been a tough one to swallow. I can see that going off road like that left it open to interpretation. And, having a Chinese female and co-owner of the car with you wasn't enough to persuade the policeman to split the responsibility at the least.

if it helps: the year of the dog isn't going so great for us either!

Hmmm. Nothing to do with a weigoren in the car, right?

But I guess I had a similar crash when I had my Rx-7 and went to pass a truck parked along the side the road without his turn signal on. He decided that sports car deserved a lesson, so he truned right into me.. I got the ticket, and went to court. I won. The driver of the truck had the responsibility to turn only when safe.

But the insurance companies split the cost.

In your case.... :blink:

A couple of streets in Yulin are lined with these (pear/plum - choose one) trees which have blossomed pretty heavily this year. This picture hardly does them justice

gallery_1846_744_945177.jpg

The front of the building. Jiaying booted someone today who is just out of view - ACROSS from the building, No problem. I hope the little ledge there doesn't have a problem if someone decides to drive a vehicle into the garage.

gallery_1846_744_481106.jpg

. . . and on to our latest little disaster. This under-the-kitchen-sink plumbing came with the kitchen sink - I hope they replace it with PVC pipe - the traps are completely unnecessary - remember that water flows downhill. Traps seem to serve only to catch a build-up of grunge.

gallery_1846_744_418162.jpg

• Like 1

Actually, they serve the purpose of stopping back gassing so sewer gas from the rest of the sewer system Randy. That is the traps only purpose. Yes, they are good at stopping thing up especially with tenants that don't give a crap what they put into them. It looks like someone stopped it up and then tried to use something to ramrod it out. Good luck with whatever you do.

• Like 1