Where, when, how can I get documents translated for marriage in China?

I plan to marry in China. I have my Passport, Michigan Birth record, and Michigan No Marriage document. I will need these documents to marry in China. I think that I still need to send the documents to the China Consulate in Chicago. The China Consulate can do the authentication of the documents. I think that the documents will need to be translated from English to Chinese. Do you know when or where I can get the translations?

Fred

I plan to marry in China. I have my Passport, Michigan Birth record, and Michigan No Marriage document. I will need these documents to marry in China. I think that I still need to send the documents to the China Consulate in Chicago. The China Consulate can do the authentication of the documents. I think that the documents will need to be translated from English to Chinese. Do you know when or where I can get the translations?

Fred

No translation necessary - the authentication stamp will tell what the document is for (in Chinese).

• Like 1

Fred

You don't need your birth record from Michigan. As Randy has already stated, you won't need translations for the authentication process. The only thing that will ultimately need to be translated is your statement of single status. The marriage bureau in China will direct you to a translation office of their choosing.

Thank you all for the information.

Fred

The only thing that will ultimately need to be translated is your statement of single status. The marriage bureau in China will direct you to a translation office of their choosing.

Getting the no-marriage paper in the US is more involved and I'll let others let you know what to do next with it but there is no translation needed.

Instead, you can get it in China at the US Consulate and it will be drafted in English. So again, no translation needed, if my memory serves me right. I think it cost about $50 though.

The only thing that will ultimately need to be translated is your statement of single status. The marriage bureau in China will direct you to a translation office of their choosing.

Getting the no-marriage paper in the US is more involved and I'll let others let you know what to do next with it but there is no translation needed.

Instead, you can get it in China at the US Consulate and it will be drafted in English. So again, no translation needed, if my memory serves me right. I think it cost about $50 though.

Yes $50.

A notarized "Affidavit of Marriageability" also referred to as a Single Statement. This affidavit is available at the Consulate and is a sworn statement or affirmation that you are legally free to marry. You must make an appointment for notarial services. The notarial fee is USD $50.00.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/information_about_getting_married_in_china2.html

My single guys statement was notarized, blessed by my secretary of state and sent to Houston and blessed again by the PRC Conciliate...I guess with there stamp on it I didn't need it to be translated. It was 2 pages stapled together and I removed the staple to Xerox a copy...they saw the extra staple holes and it was like I stole a brick out of the Great Wall...it took a friend in a high place to call and tell them I was a coo-el dude to fix it. And don't let it go out of date...only good for 6 months, even if kept refrigerated. Good luck.

:jump:

• Like 1

My single guys statement was notarized, blessed by my secretary of state and sent to Houston and blessed again by the PRC Conciliate...I guess with there stamp on it I didn't need it to be translated. It was 2 pages stapled together and I removed the staple to Xerox a copy...they saw the extra staple holes and it was like I stole a brick out of the Great Wall...it took a friend in a high place to call and tell them I was a coo-el dude to fix it. And don't let it go out of date...only good for 6 months, even if kept refrigerated. Good luck.

Yes - this is the difference between one from the states, and one from a U.S. consulate in China - the stamp affixed to the back with a holographic seal. It's not a translation, but it tells what the document is, in Chinese.

And, DO NOT, under penalty of law, remove the staple.

Yes - this is the difference between one from the states, and one from a U.S. consulate in China - the stamp affixed to the back with a holographic seal. It's not a translation, but it tells what the document is, in Chinese.

And, DO NOT, under penalty of law, remove the staple.

from personal experience I can tell you........

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON'T REMOVE THE STAPLE!!!!

• Like 1

Yes, indeed leave the #@*^%*!!! staple alone. At the Fuzhou marriage office they refused us because they said my single guy certificate was a fraud. My wife argued with the boss woman for 20 minutes (I timed it) I went over to separate them and was shown a Canadian certificate. It had a beautiful 4 color seal and a round grommet... a first class doc. She wanted to know why mine didn't look that official. Finally lao po called her close friend/classmate who's husband was a provincial minister. About 5 minutes later the boss woman got a call and the process got moving along...the next day we returned and were awarded our Lil' Red Books. And if'n y'all know about China...the marriage minister showed up to our wedding dinner and ordered about 4 of his favorite dishes. He was a pleasant looking and nice young man and looked like family when he joined our family photographs. "OIC, right?

Ah Chinertucky, ya jes gotta love it......if sumbody tells ya no, ya just find sumbody to give some money, food, drink, and a lil' song and YES is the word. And that especially applies to you if you need a "good" hospital or a "good" doctor....ya better know somebody, or yore butt just might wake up dead cause Doctor Hung Low didn't gradutate his first year of med school. :gleam:

I'll bet that minister guy did look like family. :victory: He got the job done, he WUZ family.

My question is simply this.....how did the place get named Chinertucky....it oughta be called Bribertucky. Ya thank they is trying to disguise somethin'?

tsap seui

Ah Chinertucky, ya jes gotta love it......if sumbody tells ya no, ya just find sumbody to give some money, food, drink, and a lil' song and YES is the word. And that especially applies to you if you need a "good" hospital or a "good" doctor....ya better know somebody, or yore butt just might wake up dead cause Doctor Hung Low didn't gradutate his first year of med school. :gleam:

tsap seui

Yep, you need friends in Chiner. That close friend/classmate of Lao po is always there to help us. She was in the PLA for 15 years and her lao gon is a Minister, so shes got lots of connections. Lao po and I went to check into our reserved hotel room in Lhasa after our exhausting, high elevation, 34 hour train ride and was turned away. They had no room at the Inn for a Wild Eyed Southern Boy from the "Great PX". So after being turned away from 2 other hotels because I looked foreign, ( I really just look regular) we called her friend, back in Fujian. She scolded the wife for not telling her ahead of time and told us to sit tight. In 10 minutes a guy pulled up in a big shiny black rice burner and took us to a hotel that loved us long time. And was about this time that I acquired my bad opinion of Tibet and everything about it. But anytime we get in a bind we call our friend and she's on the spot with bail money, lawyers and guns.

:sleeping:

My momma always tol' me, "son, you need high friends in low places." Or somethin' like that.

Good thing you had friends out yonder in Lhasa, ZhouX2. I recken them folks got wary of white boys back when the Dulles gang dropped outta the sky so many years ago and tried to make believe the DL was something he wasn't. One day maybe we'll stop meddlin' in others affairs and us travelin' boyz can get around a lil' easier in some circles. :rotfl:Do head down to the magic of Oz and the Long White Cloud. Great countrys and dang friendly folks.

You don't really think we'll stop meddlin', do ya? But iImma tellin' you that them Lhasa folks darn sure have learned how to work the touristas. They use every gimmick in the book and a few that ain't been added yet. But to be honest most are good folk that are willin' to hep ya, but a few are crookeder than a snake crawling up a hog wire fence.