My wife is getting ready to go visit her family and of course I need to send gifts with her.

She wants me to pick it out, but complains (and complains is a nice word) about anything. She doesn't want money to give them, and with me loosing my job in January and having to pay insurance out of pocket, I really don't have much to spare.

Everything I find is either made in China or they can find cheaper there.

Last time she had me buy a few hundred dollars worth of chocolate, personally I found spending that kind of money on something that will be pooped out later kind of silly. I thought about a nice pair of watches, I really don't know.

Does anyone have good gift ideas for Chinese inlaws?

Clocks, watches are bad luck, it signifies counting time till death.

Yes american or non Chinese made things are liked.

I bought brother-in-law a Mag-Light (Made in Ontario California) once.

Others will pipe in.

Chocolate is a good one even if it is quickly gone. Dark chocolate especially is a fav and they can even use it as a gift for other relatives so multiple boxes are appreciated. Watches inspire of superstition are ok only if they are name brands in the very pricey range. So better to forget watches. Proof coin sets from the US Mint are a possible choice.

• Like 1

The last time my wife went back to China, she had bought a few lighters that had USA symbols on them and gave them to her ex-bosses and one to her brother-in-law. My wife said the brother-in-law really enjoyed it even though he doesn't smoke much, uses it to light up his friends and bosses cigs. :drunk:

• Like 1

The last time my wife went back to China, she had bought a few lighters that had USA symbols on them and gave them to her ex-bosses and one to her brother-in-law. My wife said the brother-in-law really enjoyed it even though he doesn't smoke much, uses it to light up his friends and bosses cigs. :drunk:

Zippos, good idea. They are still made in the USA

http://www.zippo.com/

Zippos, good idea. They are still made in the USA

http://www.zippo.com/

Yes Zippos are wanted. My stepson came here and that one of the first things he wanted. I had an old one from the early sixties and another from the 70's that had the Atlanta Braves logo. He was thrilled!