I thought I knew how it works.

Wow , Dan, nice price. I wish I could get a price like that but I am coming from the east coast (New York city area) and and traveling to the southern part of China, Nanning. I guess that the extra miles help drive the cost up I booked my flight about 10 days ago. My price is about $1550. I booked my whole flight thru Delta. Lately I was piece mealing my flights. I would book my international flight with one company and book my Chinese domestic flight with another company. I am not so sure how much that was helping me. When are you going to China? I am going during Christmas. That time of the year didn't help me with the prices neither.

This is the first time that I have ever booked my flight so earlier in the year. Usually I book my flights around in November. The price might be a bit high but not by much. It is done and I my mind is more at ease. I had tried a lot of different combinations. I checked out hipmonk, cheapoair, flychina, delta, and others flight search sites. Even with different travel sites that offered to find us the "cheapest flights" the prices would vary a lot. I tried different variations such as lengths of stays, different dates, different airlines, different departure and arrival cities, etc.

In the end it came down for me to figure out the ball park figure I was willing/wanting to pay for my tickets and the travel dates that I could travel. Next time I will probably try to set my high mark of a price of 1550 and see if I can beat that. Normally I travel around Christmas time which doesn't help with the ticket prices but because of shutdown at work it gives me 8 or 9 extra days off. Happy traveling to all !! Danb

For sure, I'm guessing traveling from the East Coast and then all the way down to Nanning definitely kicks the price up a bit.

For the past 2-3 weeks, we've been checking ticket prices everyday, and for the most part prices were always between $1300 - $1500. Just a couple days ago out of nowhere the prices took a dive to $1000. I'm not sure if they've changed or if it was just a short 20 hour blip, but, I'm happy!

My lady is coming along with me (on a travel visa). Before the got the visa the ticket prices were hovering around the $1000 mark, but then after she secured her travel visa on June 3, the prices, much to our chagrin, spiked up. Our patience paid off and I was really happy to get the $1000 tickets last week.....

Actually, I live in Beijing, and have continuously for the past 3 years. This is going to be my first trip back to Milwaukee in since June 2010. I also previously spent a year in Beijing in 2005, and 10 months in Guangzhou in 2007.

Happy travels!

Dan~

... My lady is coming along with me (on a travel visa). Before the got the visa the ticket prices were hovering around the $1000 mark, but then after she secured her travel visa on June 3, the prices, much to our chagrin, spiked up. Our patience paid off and I was really happy to get the $1000 tickets last week.....

Actually, I live in Beijing, and have continuously for the past 3 years. This is going to be my first trip back to Milwaukee in since June 2010. I also previously spent a year in Beijing in 2005, and 10 months in Guangzhou in 2007...

I am very happy that your lady is going and about the the travel visa.

... My lady is coming along with me (on a travel visa). Before the got the visa the ticket prices were hovering around the $1000 mark, but then after she secured her travel visa on June 3, the prices, much to our chagrin, spiked up. Our patience paid off and I was really happy to get the $1000 tickets last week.....

Actually, I live in Beijing, and have continuously for the past 3 years. This is going to be my first trip back to Milwaukee in since June 2010. I also previously spent a year in Beijing in 2005, and 10 months in Guangzhou in 2007...

Thanks!!

Thanks!!