Anti-Virus Providers

It's coming time to renew my McAfee but I am thinking in terms of a free service instead. I've always thought that the paid providers were best by far but are they really needed? And of course I'm looking to save a few bucks.

Any experience with free anti-virus providers out there?

Annual renewal fees get pretty expensive, especially if you have multiple computers.

I got tired of them doing stuff to my computer without (transparently) telling me what they were up.

AVG works for all practical purposes just as well and is free.

I mostly agree with Randy. Some of them are so busy protecting you that you can't use your computer. Norton was very bad about that I don't know now because I refuse to buy it.

Also there is a danger going with major brands as the hackers focus on their weaknesses. Getting smaller market share brands may be risky but has the advantage that hackers are most likely not focusing on their code.

BTW: Apple seems to have come of age now as hackers have started focusing on those machines. It was so easy to say "No virus hits my Mac". Well that's because Apple had a small market share so why bother wrting malware against them.

I used AVG for 3 years and worked great until I got hit with a random virus that captured my computer.It took over AVG anti-virus and stopped it from working. I was just listening to my music files but was connected to the internet. It made a bad mess of things. I called my son who is a computer engineer and he recommended getting Kaspersky. It is not free but after 12 hours of trying I was able to recover my computer using Kaspersky recover disc and killed the virus.And saved all my files:)

I agree about Norton, nothing but bad luck with them.

Avast has been awesome for us... after having used quite a few others. My wife's computer had something on it that, according to blogs, could likely have been motherland installed spyware. Paid version of McCafee never found it. Paid version of Norton found it but couldn't cure it. Free Avast... found and eliminated it.

One thing about my Mac computers I like is I have net seen a need for aan antiVirus app.

I would not even consider going without AV on my PCs especially my wife's.