Idiots guide to Chinese women

Guest ExChinaExpat

When she presented me the bill, I paid, and then asked her: "Would you like to visit America some day?"

maybe she thought you were offering? lol

The first time I went to China, about 7 years ago, the illegal taxi drivers at the airport were swarming all over me. To their dismay I got in line outside for the legit taxis. When I got to the front of the line, my guy was a rail thin 35-ish guy, and I felt as though I could see him salivating. What the hell did I know about what it would actually cost, what with the rates, distance, and tolls all unknown to me. As he was helping me put my luggage in the trunk, he tried to shut it prematurely and conked me right on the head. He was so embarrassed, so sincerely apologetic, that it took away a lot of my apprehension about being in this weird place, with all the unknowns and the devious types that greeted me for my first impression of China.

On the ride, it was a stretch of my Chinese ability just to reply “bu teng” (doesn’t hurt) when he kept asking about my head. My head was indeed spinning, not because of the knock, but because of this new, weird world I had entered. He was a great cab driver, nay, a fine ambassador for China, introducing me to this new country through his own eyes. He taught me some words, like “Jing B” for taxi cab, that probably only taxi drivers and the like would ever use. (in Beijing, taxi license plates start with the character “Jing” or “capital” and then have a “B”). When we got to the destination, he charged me what I later learned was the right amount, about 70 RMB . At the time, I was already sure it was right. Since the other people at the airport were telling me they would take me for 250 or 350 RMB, I gave him a big red Mao and told him he could keep it, but he refused and gave me the change. Thinking back on it, I hope he did a lot of airport runs.

HB ~ When I stay in GZ, I have mostly given up the the international hotels --- although, White Swan holds a special place in my heart, since both my daughters, went through with me, and indeed, my wife and I met there.

But now its Seven Day's Inn, and since its tucked back in an old neighborhood, one that is not that easy to find ---for most cabbies, so I end up directing them. And in order to get there from the GZ train station where I usually arrive from HK, you actually have to circle a rather large segment of the district to approach the small side street that leads you in. So at first, I was alarmed when the cabbie took me in an opposite direction from the train station ---- and protested in his best English: No! No! No! -- and cut off nearly all the circular approach---by cutting between two concrete barriers---and facing down four lanes of traffic coming straight at us for the 1/2 block to the entrance to the side street.

So sure, he got a huge tip, and a hand on his shoulder, with my best Chinese: Xie xie

and facing down four lanes of traffic coming straight at us for the 1/2 block to the entrance to the side street.

That maneuver actually increased his tip?! Nice!

I like Seven Days Inn, too. Consistently good enough quality for a reasonable price. And the yellow buildings are easy to spot.

Just noticing the title to this thread...

Men are idiots for wanting them.

Women are just plain idiots.

I, too, was impressed with the appropriateness of the title.

"...And the yellow buildings are easy to spot. .." not in this case, HB, even as you arrive at the supposed address, there is just about a 20" square sign. You have to enter a gated court yard, walk across what obviously was once the court yard (now paved, for private paid parking) Then.. the yellow building... I've had a cabbie blow past the sign---even though I'm screaming ting and since this little side street is one way ---he makes about a six point turn (taking him up on the crowded sidewalk) --to go the opposite direction, forcing oncoming (legal) traffic to put at least two wheels on the sidewalk to let him by... no extra tip in that case..

I've noticed that Chinese drivers regard the traffic laws like the Pirates' Code in Pirates of the Carribean; "actually more like a series of guidelines."

Ever consider they are just following their nature... in the absence of strict enforcement, people follow their own way. When the law is not present, neither is right or wrong on some level...

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life but, I found this very amuzing.

My wifes generation (she is 24) seems to have an urge to be a part of the western culture, both in speaking and materialisticly so, they try to use slang and words and often mix them up. I remember she heard one of my friends call me a "smart-ass" after I made a sarcastic and funny comment and we all laughed. Soon after, we were at a family party and my Grandmother said something funny. My wife replied with a laugh and "You are such a smart ass Grandma!" My grandmother laughed and thought it was funny.

I have also noticed that most of my wife's generation are an only child. It seems like this comes with even more pressure from her parents on certain life changing matters. I have also noticed that she has aquired many traits of a spoiled girl hahaha. She appropriatly refers to herself as "Queen" sometimes. This makes things especially hard like when we have an argument. She always wins I can tell you that. Most arguments are completed with her saying, "You were right! But, it is still your fault."

Edited by Nate21224 (see edit history)

I been married to one for 13 1/3 years now and I have never won one yet. Even when we both know it's her fault I still have to apologize. Except for one time and you could have knocked me over with a feather.

Larry

Li and I are in our 16th year together and she remains undefeated when it comes to arguments, disagreements, etc. I can't recall a time that I even came close to scoring a win. One thing I did learn that was kind of interesting: no matter how I respond the argument will continue to go on until she decides it will end. Even if I say "Yes Dear," or "You're absolutely right, how stupid of me to think otherwise," she will continue to blast away until she figures she has "properly vented." It may be ten minutes, it may be six hours, it may be several days, or even a week. It ain't over til mama says it's over. :surrender: :bop:

• Like 1

I've found that if I can get her to laugh even if it is by making myself look like a complete ass I'm ussually off the hook. I know I'm golden when I see her crack a smile. The half smile is ussually followed by a smack to my arm and finished up with her closing statement.