Idiots guide to Chinese women

Guest ExChinaExpat

"...I moved to China back in 1997. It was in August, in Anhui, and hot as Hades and even more humid. Whenever I taught an afternoon class I would literally sweat puddles of water. You think I could find a cold Coke anywhere after class? Not a chance. Also, they drank their beer warm as well. This took me some getting used to. I understand it has now changed somewhat, at least in the larger urban areas. A cold beer is not too hard to find..."

I know for a fact that Mick and my paths (almost) crossed on several occasions, from possibly the late 60's to the turn of the century. And one of those intersections was in Anhui (Hefei to be exact, and the location was the Hefei Novotel Hotel. When he first arrived, Mick went through some of the very fast cultural maturation (described above) to the point that the Chinese really did understand that Westerners wanted cool drinks on hot days---regardless of the affect on 'internal organs'

By the time I arrived, (in September of 2001---to adopt #2) Mick was probably gone, but the Novotel had become much more adaptable. They offered free, fresh chilled xigua (watermelon) juice to all their guests. And one of the first things I had learned about adoption from #1 was that the first step (in the orphan's eyes) towards acceptance into the family---was better food. We all drank A LOT of chilled xigua juice at the Novotel during our stay.

Guest ExChinaExpat

"National Woman's Day"

Did you know it? March 8th, is Chinese National Woman's day, and it's very important in China. Chinese women are typically given one half work day. It's also a nice gesture to give your wife or girlfriend a gift on this day. Gift giving is very important in Chinese culture, and a good way to stay on her good side.

Edited by JiangsuExpat (see edit history)

Should that be March 8? People call Int'l Women's Day "San Ba" (three eight)

Apparently you can also insult someone by calling them a "San Ba" to mean "dummy". Strangely you can also say "shi san dian" (13 point) and "er bai wu" (250) for the same meaning. I'm sure these have stories behind them which might be interesting to explore.

Guest ExChinaExpat

Should that be March 8? People call Int'l Women's Day "San Ba" (three eight)

Apparently you can also insult someone by calling them a "San Ba" to mean "dummy". Strangely you can also say "shi san dian" (13 point) and "er bai wu" (250) for the same meaning. I'm sure these have stories behind them which might be interesting to explore.

You're right! I wrote it incorrectly, and corrected it now. Thank you

"San Ba" is correct, meaning the third month, and 8th day of the month. Now, regarding your other comments, they have nothing to do with National Woman's Day. Unless of course, someone did something to deserve to have these abusive terms tossed at them.

:-)

Randy, that's an interesting thing. There seems to be a lot of variation among Chinese people about swear words and the gravity with which they are interpreted. My wife would probably slap me if I said "sha bi" and would NEVER say it. But I know among other people it is seen as not very offensive at all. Other "bi" words commonly used are "niu bi" (cow c__) = "cool" and "zhuang bi" (acting c__) = "being pretentious". Then of course you have the euphemistic "Grass Mud Horse" and other "cao"s. I personally wouldn't say these unless I'm sure the person wouldn't be offended.

"National Woman's Day"

Did you know it? March 8th, is Chinese National Woman's day, and it's very important in China. Chinese women are typically given one half work day. It's also a nice gesture to give your wife or girlfriend a gift on this day. Gift giving is very important in Chinese culture, and a good way to stay on her good side.

When Li and I were living in China, we always celebrated March 8 with a special dinner and I always gave her flowers and a stuffed animal. It kind of became a tradition for us and we continue to celebrate Woman's Day since retruing to the States. Going to go out tonight and for the past seven years, I have two women to honor - Li and our daughter Salina.

Randy, that's an interesting thing. There seems to be a lot of variation among Chinese people about swear words and the gravity with which they are interpreted. My wife would probably slap me if I said "sha bi" and would NEVER say it. But I know among other people it is seen as not very offensive at all. Other "bi" words commonly used are "niu bi" (cow c__) = "cool" and "zhuang bi" (acting c__) = "being pretentious". Then of course you have the euphemistic "Grass Mud Horse" and other "cao"s. I personally wouldn't say these unless I'm sure the person wouldn't be offended.

I get called the Grass Mud Horse on a regular basis but it doesn't offend me. I just consider the source. :D

:D I don't get either one of those but it is certainly implied that is for sure. I am retired and was so when she came here 13 years ago. So I live on 65% of my basic pay now. I had to open up a jet-ski business to satisfy that GREED for money. My wife does not want ANYTHING only money. Now just this last weekend the brother in law is asking for $100,000 us dollars to buy an new home. The only thing is that he don't want to work for it. Of course you know that I will be sending it to him post haste right. :P

Larry

What is it with thinking all Americans are filthy rich??

My wife has been on this thing about paying mum $10,000 to $20,000 to help pay for an apartment.

We are barely making enough to pay the bills on just my income, and it seems to be a struggle getting her a job that she feels pays her enough.

This is one thing that makes me nuts.

:D I don't get either one of those but it is certainly implied that is for sure. I am retired and was so when she came here 13 years ago. So I live on 65% of my basic pay now. I had to open up a jet-ski business to satisfy that GREED for money. My wife does not want ANYTHING only money. Now just this last weekend the brother in law is asking for $100,000 us dollars to buy an new home. The only thing is that he don't want to work for it. Of course you know that I will be sending it to him post haste right. :P

Larry

My wife has been on this thing about paying mum $10,000 to $20,000 to help pay for an apartment.

We are barely making enough to pay the bills on just my income, and it seems to be a struggle getting her a job that she feels pays her enough.

Me to Dan. The wife dropped the bomb last Saturday night when she called her parents and told them that there would not be a check in the mail for $100,000. Here parents were going to give him 600,000 RMB but now that we won't contribute that is off because it won't be enough. He don't want part of it he wants it ALL.

Now we are both SOB's

Larry

Guest ExChinaExpat

Larry

I guess for the longest time, we are the ones who visit their country with fat wallets and spending money. Fact is, there are more billionaires in China than anywhere else in the world. There is also a huge separation of classes between the Chinese people. Many rich, and many very poor. Most foreigners know better than trying to negotiate price when buying things in China. Even if you can speak enough Chinese to do it, chances are you'd be better off to get a Chinese person to do it for you. For the Chinese woman who moves to America, there is a very strong compulsion to show their family that they are successful. Best way to show it is with money. I don't get it either. Chinese people will scrimp and pinch, and go without, just to give a little something to family. Something akin to having one's cake and eating it too comes to mind. You can't squeeze blood from a turnip does not compute in China. This is a cultural bridge that can bite anyone in the ass bigtime!

Guest ExChinaExpat

"Knockoffs"

You'll find them everywhere in China. If it's something that sells, then there is a copy of it somewhere. But, should you buy a knockoff for your lady? Depends. There are many women wearing knockoffs and carrying knockoff purses. For some women, it seems to be okay. For other women, they would not consider it at all. Don't assume on this one, because she might be insulted if you buy a knockoff, when she never owned one in her life.

"Knockoffs"

You'll find them everywhere in China. If it's something that sells, then there is a copy of it somewhere. But, should you buy a knockoff for your lady? Depends. There are many women wearing knockoffs and carrying knockoff purses. For some women, it seems to be okay. For other women, they would not consider it at all. Don't assume on this one, because she might be insulted if you buy a knockoff, when she never owned one in her life.

That is a modern idea....

Go to your local Nanjing History Museum and you will see that China was 'knocking off' copies as early as 5,000 years ago... they have the longest patent on historical record... It is a modern fetish to talk about it as 'wrong' or 'illegal'.

Guest ExChinaExpat

"Knockoffs"

That is a modern idea....

Go to your local Nanjing History Museum and you will see that China was 'knocking off' copies as early as 5,000 years ago... they have the longest patent on historical record... It is a modern fetish to talk about it as 'wrong' or 'illegal'.

Last time I went to the NJ museum, I didn't see any LV purses in the display cases. :secret: