Can't get joint chcking account!!

With a credit uniion you will need either a state ID or drivers license it is different, I have tried adding my wife to my credit union account and was told the same. I told the CSR that I would be closing my account then and they said they were sorry! :angry:

With adding my wife to my bank account all I needed was her SSN#.

Again BS...

My primary account is with a credit union, absolutly no problem opening a joint account, even less than adding to my HSBC account.

Not necessarily BS. It will depend greatly on the credit union.

This is not the first credit union that has made this kind of policy. My wifes friend recently got married.

The husband tried to add her to his credit union account and was told the exact same thing.

Some credit unions still maintain their very strict guidelines that set them apart from banks.

While other credit unions have opened up their membership and become nothing more than a local bank.

Again BS...

We are not talking about someone walking off the street, we are talking adding a spouse to an already existing account, or opening an additional joint account for an existing member.

I know credit unions tend to have rules as to member afiliations, typically an imediate family member of a member qualifies for membership, especially a spouse.

As for AOS, commingling of funds is NOT a requirement, this is something required to show later when filing to remove conditions on a two year conditional green-card.

Dave, I question this. When ChunMei and I had our AOS interview the interviewer specifically asked to see a bank statement, then photocopied our ATM cards on the account. He actually said, "I need to see proof that you are actually comingling your assets."

Hmmmmm.....well I guess I will go down to their main office and find out what I need to do. Your in Highlands Ranch yes Nick? We are in Aurora. I don't really want to bank somewhere else but if I have to I guess I will try another bank.

For what it's worth, I've had an account with 1st Bank of Colorado for almost 20 years, and have been very happy with them.

As I said before I had called the Credit Uniion and tried adding my wife to my account for a joint account and was told my wife needed a drivers license or a state Id which has her photo on it and there was no way around it. I was wanting to do this for evidence when filing for the 10 year greencard.

After this topic was brought up I decided to go there in person and give it a try and told my wife to bring her passport and SS card. When we arrived at the CU I asked asked about adding my wife to my account again I was told that I needed one of the mentioned above. I told them I had been a member for over 25 years and I was in the process of teaching my wife how to drive to get her license. The lady ended up giving me the paperwork and told me that it was policy that if my wife had been in the US for 6 months then she was required to show a drivers license or the state ID to add her to my account. I gave her my wife's passport for the photo ID to make a copy and also the SS card since the passport was in her maiden name.

So if you were told you needed this ID over the phone I would try going to the Credit Union in person.

I've found that banks do not uniformly follow the same guidelines. Perhaps there is no definite standard of operations that exists. This is especially true when it comes to credit unions. I think the big problem, especially in our case is that our situation is not the norm and we often find various employees who have no idea how to successfully navigate the situation; this often results as a blanket "no" response to your spouses. I agree w/ Dan, that most problems can be solved when explained and handled in person. Now for round two, the Dept of Revenue. :D

I've found that banks do not uniformly follow the same guidelines. Perhaps there is no definite standard of operations that exists. This is especially true when it comes to credit unions. I think the big problem, especially in our case is that our situation is not the norm and we often find various employees who have no idea how to successfully navigate the situation; this often results as a blanket "no" response to your spouses. I agree w/ Dan, that most problems can be solved when explained and handled in person. Now for round two, the Dept of Revenue. :D

Exactly!

Second on the list of morons is at the SSA office when trying to get an SSN for a K-1 fiancee, often the office worker does not understand that a K-1 qualifies for a SSN within the first 90 days after arrival, many report having to talk with a supervisor, or even going to a different office.

Well I went down to the Main Office for the Credit Union. They gave me the same answers. Need a state ID or drivers license.

So I looked up the requirements here in Colorado for a State ID. We have everything but the I-94 has expired so I don't think we will be able to get a state ID.

Guess I will be calling different banks to see if we can't get a Joint checking account.

Thanks for the help everyone.

We had the same problem; not everybody knows how to enforce this policy under the patriot Act.

I bank with CitiBank and tried to add my wife to my account. (Had ssn, name on bills, aos notice of action, etc.)

The first lady (white) turned us down.

Went back again and talked to an Indian lady (immigrant)and had no problem.

Well I went down to the Main Office for the Credit Union. They gave me the same answers. Need a state ID or drivers license.

So I looked up the requirements here in Colorado for a State ID. We have everything but the I-94 has expired so I don't think we will be able to get a state ID.

Guess I will be calling different banks to see if we can't get a Joint checking account.

Thanks for the help everyone.

David, all 1st Bank asked us for was her SSN and her passport.

We looked into getting a state ID for her, and all they asked for there was her passport and, at minimum, the recipts from Homeland Security for the AOS application. We decided not to get the card because we hadn't received the receipt yet, and she's going to get a drivers l;icence anyway.

We went to add my wife on my checking account and needed the SSN, green card, Passport and state ID card or drivers license. This is a small town bank that has known me for many years, but they have their rules and stick to them like white on rice.

That makes four forms of ID required :o

That is based on [immigration] fear, not rules.