Hong Kong Hotel

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Hong Kong that is near one of the airport express stations? Jingwen, the kids, and I decided to spend the night in Hong Kong to give us plenty of time to get to the airport the next day.

I have stayed in Kowloon before at the YMCA (don't laugh - a good and reasonably priced hotel), but wanted to see what other hotels are out there.

I think this has been discussed before, but Jingwen tells me that she will be able to exit the mainland and enter Hong Kong with her passport/US visa and an airline ticket showing a departure out of Hong Kong within 7 days of arrival. Does anyone know if this is inaccurate?

I was going to recommend the YMCA to you - it really is a great place to stay, and the money is right. In place of that, you might try the Metropole. If after China New Year, the price might be ok.

This time of year, I have also gotten some comparable prices at the Shangri-La - a super place, but pricey. Depends on the season.

Dean

Hi Frank;

I too have stayed at a YMCA, the Anne Black Guest house in Kowloon, very reasonable and clean. Last time I was in Hk with my wife... her first time we found a place next to the Jordan stop. forgot the name but it was ok, priceyer and this seems to be a red light area.

this is a good web site for hotels http://www.asia-hotels.com/ and is where ni found Anne Black.

Good luck and enjoy all that HK has to offer. As for the 7 days I'm not sure but I do know when Bea gets a visa it is only good for 7 days so this may be the same in your case.

Mark

I think this has been discussed before, but Jingwen tells me that she will be able to exit the mainland and enter Hong Kong with her passport/US visa and an airline ticket showing a departure out of Hong Kong within 7 days of arrival.  Does anyone know if this is inaccurate?

I have been wondering about this as well. She also is telling me that she will be able to leave Shenzhen and enter Hong Kong once she has the visa.

I also would like to know if this is accurate.

Metropole:  Just ask for floor 12 - the business exec floor.  More room, not much more money.

By the way, the elevator, floor 12, Metropole Hotel - birthplace of the SARs epidemic.

Dean

Oh yes, the Metropole hotel is quite cheap now (a bit of history). I thought I stayed there but it was Majestic.

I always stay at the Kowloon hotel. There's a free shuttle from the Airport Express and the Kowloon Hotel is the first stop. It's also just half a block from the Tsim Tsa Tsui MTR station entrance, which connects to the KCR making it easy to get to SZ or GZ. Basically I've found this hotel to be convenient to everything and I can get to all these places without paying for a taxi until I arrive in China.

I stayed at 'The Salvation Army Booth Lodge', I was wondering about it since of the name. It was just part of that building, it was pretty nice to what i had imagined. The rooms were clean, service was excellent, and free continental breakfast every morning. Full breakfast buffet with a mix of chinese and american foods.

It took about 15 min to get to the airport, maybe 20 if there's bad traffic.

Salvation Army Booth Lodge

Walking distance to Nathan street which had a lot of stuff to see. If I pitstop in HK next time I go back I'll stay at the salvation again. :D

Guest blsqueaky

I think this has been discussed before, but Jingwen tells me that she will be able to exit the mainland and enter Hong Kong with her passport/US visa and an airline ticket showing a departure out of Hong Kong within 7 days of arrival.  Does anyone know if this is inaccurate?

I have been wondering about this as well. She also is telling me that she will be able to leave Shenzhen and enter Hong Kong once she has the visa.

I also would like to know if this is accurate.

I have talked to my wife about this, and she has also told me that once she receives her visa, she can take the train to Hong Kong and fly out of there.

The airport express stations are pretty far from anything convienent, I think the guys who suggest the hotels with shuttles are good. Also I have stayed in the Hotel Concorse. It is near the Prince Edward MTR (about 1 block). It was the least expensive hotel that I could get from CTS (HK$390) near an MTR in either Hong Kong or Kowloon.

Consider the Airport Express busses rather than the Airport Express train. They are less than half the price and you can catch one at several places in the city. You get to see some really cool scenery on the route too, including the Lantau Link bridges. (I understand to be the longest suspension bridge in the world now) Plenty of luggage space on the busses too. You can also catch one from Hung Hom station if you can't find a better place.