Back in 2007 I cold turkey stopped watching TV. Gave back my cable box and suffered for 2 weeks with chills, throwin' up, and the shakes as I got a lifetime of TV addiction and it's withdrawl out of my system.

Well, when we moved into the new house we got flooded with Direct TV offers from the electric company, phone company, and everyone else who found out we were moving....sniff...sniff Boyz n' girlz....I fell off the wagon and let them put a dish up outside.

I came home the second day we had TV and asked the dynamic duo, who had never turned the thang on, "Do we even need this crap?" The answer from both of them was a resounding "NO, unhook it. We don't need it. Why did you even bother to have them hook it up, tsap seui?""

Good lord, over 150 channels of pure crap, even with Starz, HBO, and who knows what other movie channels (for a free 3 month addiction manuever). The first time I sat in front of the thing I had no clue what to look for so I sat there for over half an hour and flipped through the over 150 channels until I made myself sea sick and puked on the floor. :ohmy: I was only looking for Seinfeld reruns and The Simpsons as they were the only two intelligent TV shows worth watching that I could remember, or think of. laugh.gif

Anyone else not watching TV? I thought it would be a good addition when we moved, never had it for the two months we were in the apartment but it seems we are too busy living life to take attention away from our lil' family unit to bother with it. Whenever I did turn it on it became a huge distraction from us talking and laughing amongst each other.

I used to read how TV helped our familys to learn english and how I could get Chinese TV for the duo once they got over here. Looks like it fell on it's face for these guys. laugh.gif And now my e-mail is flooded with crap from Direct TV. Maybe I am just still too young to be tied down to a box in the evenings and these guyz would rather sit down and laugh at me dancing and singing to them like a fool to turn it on and instead sit there with drool running down their lips, anyhow.

Goodbye Direct TV, two weeks of not watchin' your "over 150 channels" stuff is more than enough. Next week I'll send your fancy box back and take the dish which looks like something used to communicate with the Spyder Men from Mars with....mebbe I'll give ya a call when I'm in my 80's or if we ever get bored with each others company. tongue.gif

tsap seui

I got the DirecTv Mandarin package for my wife, so she can watch the CCTV and other Chinese stations. When I go to work my wife can only clean the house and talk to her family so many hours of the the day so the TV helps her cope when I am not home. I am working on teaching her how to drive so she does not have to stay home and she tries to do things I do around the house.

I went to work one day a couple of few weeks ago and she called and said she was going to mow the yard but I told her not to. I told her to wait until I got home but she did it anyway. I was happy about her mowing until today when I went out to start the mower and couldn't get it started. I found out that she had put diesel fuel in my gas mower and it took me a while to get it back running. :angry: Now I remember when she said she had mowed that the mover had smoked like a chimney.

It is good that you are home to keep them entertained. I'm glad that things have turned out great for you!

Basic cable here, Tsap, and I really don't like much of it. Occasional news show, or Ken Burns, (although 'Prohibition' put me to sleep.) The girls have had so many run-ins with their step-mom that now they are suspended until Christmas. But in the total disaster of their room, I have discovered among the clutter that they are watching 'pirate TV' --- not TV, actually, but junk they bought from GoodWill and rigged to play old movie tapes, and DVD's, along with whole seasons of old TV series... Better keep their grades up, or I'm pulling the plug on pirate TV....

Remember when cable TV first started expanding into all homes? How we believed that by paying for cable TV we'd get to watch commercial free TV?

Sadly, it never came to fruition and we now get more commercial television than ever. An average 1/2hour TV show will have almost a 50/50 split of ads to programs.

Even though I pay for basic cable, I seldom turn on my TV except when I am in bed ready to sleep. And, I often have the TV tuned to PBS. Which I can receive just with old fashioned rabbit ears... hmmm. I like watching pro basketball, that's my only reasoning for keeping cable. And, now even that isn't a good reason to keep it.

Of course, I'm at the computer screen probably way more than I should be. However, I can control the content of what I view on my computer. :)

We're not big TV watchers. We do have netflix, and use that quite a bit. I'm a big fan of documentaries, Seinfeld, and sports. Jingjing, well, she likes Friends, Monk, and NCIS. That's about it.

I had Directv for several years. I would "suspend" service from April to November each year. From November to April, with 150 channels, I always ended watching the Weather Channel. $60 a month to watch the Weather Channel, terminated.....

Now, my wife is on her laptop, watching China programs, or "learnamericanenglishonline.org", and I get to spend more time working on my 38 Plymouth....

I sure miss the Weather Channel.......

Yep, Haven't watched TV in four years and don't miss it a bit, it even has my son out side more playing sports so I'd say no TV is healthy, the funny thing is we don't even miss it, don't own a Tv , my son plays xbox 360 with an old monitor and even then he only plays for maybe an hour a day if that.

I get more reading done this way to and all the chores are done for the day and I still have time to kill.

Had Direct Tv, your right about one thing Ron, I couldn't find anything to watch with 150 or so channels, never could figure that out, you'd have thonk there woulda been somethin worth watchin on one of them channels.

I don't do much TV, for the most part watch a couple shows after the fact via online viewing. My wife tends to watch online chinese programing, so the only reason I would have a Cable coming into the home would be for broad-band internet access.

No TV! :censor:

We are 'wireless' 100% (that'd be 'antenna'). We DO have Netflix and PPTV. IMHO Netflix is still the best deal out there. PPTV is free just feed that computer (or laptop) into your TV set and you're done. Also can see new releases over the Chinese web sites as well e.g. just saw "Margin Call" this weekend. Will see "Captain America" this week.

My personal opinion is that cable and dishes are owned and operated by Satan himself in addition to being a waste of money. If the movie is really, I mean REALLY, that cool of a Must See then let's go to the cinema.:coolthumb: Otherwise I can wait a few months the flash of the week.

On a related note, something I've been trying to find (without much success) is where I can download Chinese subtitles for things. I've tried the sites I'm aware of, subscene and the like, and found more failure than success. Have any you guys looked into this before? My hope is to be able to find something I can plug into XBMC to make use of its semi-automatic system.

On a related note, something I've been trying to find (without much success) is where I can download Chinese subtitles for things. I've tried the sites I'm aware of, subscene and the like, and found more failure than success. Have any you guys looked into this before? My hope is to be able to find something I can plug into XBMC to make use of its semi-automatic system.

I think the Chinese subtitles are generally embedded into the movie, but are now getting harder to find. For these, try verycd.com and funshun.com

Here's a list of 9,925 actual subtitle files - http://www.all4divx.com/subtitles/allmovies/Chinese/1