"no strings attached"

Hmmm,

A ring shaped IUD. It makes a lot of sense.

In the USA, I believe that the "Copper T" is most popular as well as other T-shaped IUDs. I believe that there have been cases of uterine punctures from the T-shaped devices, so I would imagine that a ring would be safer.

It would be interesting to see the different side effect profiles of the two devices. It may be easier to get a hinged T-shaped device in and out too.

Anyway, in the USA, they always attach a string to the IUD. Apparently the string tends to stay in the cervix and thus removal of the device is quite simple, reach in and grab the string. However, if the string gets lost, it is much bigger operation to remove the device. Thus, it is often done in the OR.

I assume in China, they have a special hook (or perhaps just a crochet hook) that they use to grab the device and pull it out. Without an ultrasound, a good doctor could probably reach in blindly and grab it.

One of the big problems with an IUD in the USA is that the string can provide a conduit for infections to enter the uterous. It generally is not a problem in a monogamous relationship where both partners are disease free. However, they are not recomended for use with women that have multiple parnters as the risks of Sexually Transmitted Diseases are much higher, and thus the risk to the woman is multiplied.

----- Clifford -----

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the biggest problems facing the world today is over population. Studies have shown that the earth can support about 3 billion people without doing further damage to the environment. We are over 6 billion now. China seems to be the only country actually doing anything about their population growth. Granted some of their methods are harsh but we also have to keep in mind you are dealing with the strongest instinct we humans have. To reproduce. Hormones are difficult to reason with. Sometimes I think you should have to have a license to have a child. I definitely think our own government could do more. For instance you should pay more taxes for each child you have instead of less. After all they use more tax resources. I have always thought it ludicrous that single people without children are forced to subsidize other peoples kids by paying higher taxes.

Sometimes I think you should have to have a license to have a child.  I definitely think our own government could do more.  For instance you should pay more taxes for each child you have instead of less.  After all they use more tax resources.  I have always thought it ludicrous that single people without children are forced to subsidize other peoples kids by paying higher taxes.

Couldn't agree more, strikes me as extremly unfair for singles and couples with out children have to pay such high property taxes ie school taxes when reaping no benifet at all.

rat

For instance you should pay more taxes for each child you have instead of less.  After all they use more tax resources.  I have always thought it ludicrous that single people without children are forced to subsidize other peoples kids by paying higher taxes.

I could not agree more with you and I have kids.

China seems to be the only country actually doing anything about their population growth.

Actually most of Europe is rapidly approaching zero population growth, or even slightly negative net population change.

The USA may be one of the few "civilized" countries that has such strong anti birth control sentiments in our government.

China seems to be the only country actually doing anything about their population growth.

Actually most of Europe is rapidly approaching zero population growth, or even slightly negative net population change.

The USA may be one of the few "civilized" countries that has such strong anti birth control sentiments in our government.

I read an article a couple summers ago about how the government in China is most concerned that the generation coming up will have more males than females. The proportion is very high although I'm not sure of the exact numbers. In twenty years there wont be enough wives for the men.

As far as the U.S., I thought the IRS were scarey but they don't hold a candle to the DCSE! Man, that is one outfit that you don't want their claws in your back! The funny thing about the doctors visit for my wife was the first appointment they put us in an exam room that had posters about different contraceptives and other womanly things......the second visit they put us in a different exam room that had posters aimed at young fathers about paying CS. A scare tactic thing which I took offense to it!

I read an article a couple summers ago about how the government in China is most concerned that the generation coming up will have more males than females. The proportion is very high although I'm not sure of the exact numbers. In twenty years there wont be enough wives for the men.

I have heard of similar concerns.

Modern medicine allows us to determine the sex of children, and selectively abort fetuses for any reason including being a different sex than desired.

And, of course, women seem to be leaving China in higher numbers than men with international dating.

It is possible that such a shift in populations will occur that the status of women and family roles in the country might change. No longer will bride's families be expected to pay dowries, and no longer will infant girls be aborted (or put up for international adoption).

What is the opposite to polygamy? 1 wife, multiple husbands?

----- Clifford -----

Ayup. The missus and I have discussed this more than a few times. And even if the cause of the problem were fixed TODAY, it would still be too late to do anything about the current crop of males that is due to start looking for female companionship right about... now. IIRC the number of surplus males is in the millions. Large numbers of young men who have no hope of ever finding a bride, with a dash of high unemployment is a Very Bad Thing. Were I running things I'd be very concerned about large numbers of perma-bachelors organizing.

FWIW some parts of India have the same problem.

Want to see what happens when you heavily restrict immigration, while failing to maintain replacement birth rates, while having a growing percentage of the population dependent on productive members who were never born? Look to Japan. They will have to eventually accept large numbers of non-Japanese immigrants (a hard pill to swallow) or learn the hard way why 2.1 isn't just a good idea, it's the law! :lol:

What a creul twist of fate.

Aborting the girls and keeping to boys in order to "preserve the family name" while at the same time condemming the sons to bachelorhood and killing off the entire family line.

Of course, the answer to the population shift is to build an army and send them off to war!!!

----- CK -----

Just some quick numbers:

Sex Ratio:

at birth: 1.09 male(s)/female

under 15 years: 1.1 male(s)/female

15-64 years: 1.06 male(s)/female

65 years and over: 0.89 male(s)/female

total population: 1.06 male(s)/female (2003 est.)

Age Structure:

0-14 years: 23.1% (male 155,473,656; female 141,737,406)

15-64 years: 69.5% (male 461,223,219; female 433,154,970)

65 years and over: 7.4% (male 44,954,643; female 50,431,574) (2003 est.)

Birth Rate:

12.96 births/1,000 population (2003 est.)

Death Rate:

6.74 deaths/1,000 population (2003 est.)

Life Expectancy at Birth:

total population: 72.22 years

male: 70.33 years

female: 74.28 years (2003 est.)

Numbers from the CIA World Factbook

Just some quick numbers:  (China)

Sex Ratio:

at birth: 1.09 male(s)/female

under 15 years: 1.1 male(s)/female

15-64 years: 1.06 male(s)/female

65 years and over: 0.89 male(s)/female

total population: 1.06 male(s)/female (2003 est.)

Numbers from the CIA World Factbook

What an interesting web site.

I had thought that there were slightly more women than men in the under 65 category, but according to that web site, that isn't true in most nations.

Saudi Arabia had some the most disturbing M/F statistics that I had seen anywhere. For every 13 men, there are only 10 women!!!!

at birth: 1.05 male(s)/female

under 15 years: 1.04 male(s)/female

15-64 years: 1.37 male(s)/female

65 years and over: 1.29 male(s)/female

total population: 1.22 male(s)/female (2003 est.)

I think the reason for the extreme shift in Saudi Arabia is employment in the oil fields. Add that with the legal polygamy (I think), and it definately wouldn't be a good nation to look for dates.

Mexico, on the other hand fared a little better.

at birth: 1.05 male(s)/female

under 15 years: 1.04 male(s)/female

15-64 years: 0.95 male(s)/female

65 years and over: 0.8 male(s)/female

total population: 0.97 male(s)/female (2003 est.)

I would wonder if that population shift seen in Mexico has to do with male workers migrating to other countries (USA).

I have heard of similar concerns.

Modern medicine allows us to determine the sex of children, and selectively abort fetuses for any reason including being a different sex than desired.

And, of course, women seem to be leaving China in higher numbers than men with international dating.

It is possible that such a shift in populations will occur that the status of women and family roles in the country might change. No longer will bride's families be expected to pay dowries, and no longer will infant girls be aborted (or put up for international adoption).

What is the opposite to polygamy? 1 wife, multiple husbands?

----- Clifford -----

I doubt that the number of women leaving china would make much of a dent in the over all demographics of China. I would be interested in knowing the average age of women marrying american men. it seems at least on this site that they are mainly in their late 30s to late 40s.

It is not a major problem. Taiwan had the same problem before and solved it by importing women from the mainland and Vietnam. In the north east, Russia may be a good source (quite a few already in China). In the south, Vietnam, Berma and Thailand may be a good source. And North Korea can be another source, it is a easy walk across and thouands are doing that already. Given that China has such a large population, foreigners coming in in marriages will not affect its culture. In the past, Manchurians, Mongols and even a small sect of Jews all disappeared and became Chinese.

Talking about doctors, there are a few major differences.

American doctors rely heavily on tests, which is good for most diseases. Chinese docs do not prescribe diagnostic tests as much.

American Docs are extremely cautious, which can be good or bad. Medical malpractice cases made American docs the best qualified ones at diagnosing through a huge amount of tests (eg. I went through three days of testing, including tubes hooked up all over me in ICU and a final 1.5k run on a treadmill for a stomach indigestion). In China, the doc would feel your pulse and tell you to lie down and rest. 99.999% of time, they are right. Just maybe once, they are wrong and you die of a heart attack.

The Ring thing. In China, it has no strings attached. In U.S. it got a string attached. Don't blame the doctor.

As far as surgical skills, my sis used to pull out 3 or 4 babies a day and some times she had to cut the woman up. Even late term abortions, she would describe it like she was pulling out a chunk of meat that fell through the barbecue grills.

My cuz though, after so many years of training at Yale and residency and finally laminated and framed license thingy, never cut anything open yet.

Personally, the incompetency in this country I see is more in dentists. When my ex-in-law was in town, he was very unhappy about a visit. I had to send a letter to the dentist to refund the old man his money and give him $200 extra bucks. His lawyer called to appologize on his behalf and explained that the dentist could not do that for fear that it would be taken as an admission. Gosh, if he had appologized, the old man would not have even bothered me in the first place.

• 2 years later...

It is not a major problem. Taiwan had the same problem before and solved it by importing women from the mainland and Vietnam. In the north east, Russia may be a good source (quite a few already in China). In the south, Vietnam, Berma and Thailand may be a good source. And North Korea can be another source, it is a easy walk across and thouands are doing that already. Given that China has such a large population, foreigners coming in in marriages will not affect its culture. In the past, Manchurians, Mongols and even a small sect of Jews all disappeared and became Chinese.

Talking about doctors, there are a few major differences.

American doctors rely heavily on tests, which is good for most diseases. Chinese docs do not prescribe diagnostic tests as much.

American Docs are extremely cautious, which can be good or bad. Medical malpractice cases made American docs the best qualified ones at diagnosing through a huge amount of tests (eg. I went through three days of testing, including tubes hooked up all over me in ICU and a final 1.5k run on a treadmill for a stomach indigestion). In China, the doc would feel your pulse and tell you to lie down and rest. 99.999% of time, they are right. Just maybe once, they are wrong and you die of a heart attack.

The Ring thing. In China, it has no strings attached. In U.S. it got a string attached. Don't blame the doctor.

As far as surgical skills, my sis used to pull out 3 or 4 babies a day and some times she had to cut the woman up. Even late term abortions, she would describe it like she was pulling out a chunk of meat that fell through the barbecue grills.

My cuz though, after so many years of training at Yale and residency and finally laminated and framed license thingy, never cut anything open yet.

Personally, the incompetency in this country I see is more in dentists. When my ex-in-law was in town, he was very unhappy about a visit. I had to send a letter to the dentist to refund the old man his money and give him $200 extra bucks. His lawyer called to appologize on his behalf and explained that the dentist could not do that for fear that it would be taken as an admission. Gosh, if he had appologized, the old man would not have even bothered me in the first place.

Well since you brought it up, in the Jewish faith, the biggest fear for the past 100 years was never being conquered but rather being assilimlated. I remember back in the 1970's being told by the Tenple that we needed to increase the size of our herd (their expression not mine).