Emergency spine surgery

griz326

Sounds like you were lucky they caught it when they did. Even luckier that you have a loving wife and daughter to take care of you while you recuperate. Imagine if you had to go through this alone before you met your wife. Take care Griz and keep us posted on your recovery.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speedy recovery, Griz

I hope Griz recovers quickly, but I am thinking about this problem, and other people have posted also having back problems...

It makes me wonder.

Does marrying a Chinese woman perhaps contribute to our various back ailments?

You may have a point there! :unsure: B) :blink: :alldone:

It will be a while before I can report real progress, BUT what has most impressed me is my daughter's fear and my wife's attitude of this being just another of life's many trails.

My responsibility to the girls really emerged as the key issue for me. Fortunately, I'd made a few good insurance decisions, that should help us make it through.

Thanks for the good wishes.

It ain't great yet, but sure beats being face down in the dirt.

Speedy recovery, Griz

I hope Griz recovers quickly, but I am thinking about this problem, and other people have posted also having back problems...

It makes me wonder.

Does marrying a Chinese woman perhaps contribute to our various back ailments?

You may have a point there! :unsure: B) :blink: :alldone:

Maybe is something to it.Joking. I had back surgery in early May. Doing good now. Hang in there griz it will get better.

I fell yesterday. It taught me that going from vertical to horizontal at the speed of gravity is a lot faster than 911.

Then...early this morning...Lao Po conducted her own gravity experiments with our basement stairs! She's banged up, but, still "younger" :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Doc decided to eliminate my pain meds. OUCH! Everything hurts now. I did not know they'd cut them off so soon after major back surgery.

Probably a good thing, I've been using large caliber pain meds - off & on - for over a year.

The ETA for my return to work is mid-September.

Doc decided to eliminate my pain meds. OUCH! Everything hurts now. I did not know they'd cut them off so soon after major back surgery.

Probably a good thing, I've been using large caliber pain meds - off & on - for over a year.

Docs like to pull the plug as soon as they can - they can't feel what you do.

I like to keep some pain pills around and always keep a few whenever I get a new prescription. That way, when something happens that takes more than IB, I have a few to get over the hump without a trip to the vet. My doc (who I've been going to for over 20 years) knows I have a stash - and it kinda pisses him off - but that's life. If he would call in a script without an office visit, I wouldn't feel the need to keep a stash. ;)

Yeah, if you've been on the pills that long it's time to get off of them, but I feel your pain. Advil does help me.

I flat out told my doc I needed a stash of hydrocodone. Upon my last visit (Aug'10) I told her that I still had a few left and opted not to get another refill. I think that added points towards my ability to call and get the Rx when needed.

Edited by Yuanyang (see edit history)

Docs like to pull the plug as soon as they can - they can't feel what you do.

I like to keep some pain pills around and always keep a few whenever I get a new prescription. That way, when something happens that takes more than IB, I have a few to get over the hump without a trip to the vet. My doc (who I've been going to for over 20 years) knows I have a stash - and it kinda pisses him off - but that's life. If he would call in a script without an office visit, I wouldn't feel the need to keep a stash. ;)

I only used two of the thirty vicadins I picked up when my finger got snipped in April. Plenty on supply for any other stupid things I might do at work. :unsure:

Re-admitted to the hospital on the 7th. The infection spread despite the 24/7 IV antibiotics. In figuring this out, the docs found additional spine damage, new areas of infection, AND a large kidney stone.

No wonder I hurt!

They've changed to broad spectrum IV antibiotics, plan to smash the kidney stone Thursday, and are trying to decide when it will be safe to fuse the many laminectomies required to clean out the puss of the infection. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminectomy

My back won't have much structural integrity until they fuse it because they "unroofed" about 12 inches of my spine.

Recovery time is currently estimated at 90-120 days...but I now believe that I will recover. I really feared that my girls were going to be on their own.

I appreciated all of the good wishes, kind thoughts and prayers.