"Don't Worry, you have plenty of time"

Well there you go!!! I am so happy for you man. I knew you would get the visa, never doubted it, but it's the matter of is it going ot be 2 months or 3 months.

Take care and have a great life in America.

tsap seui

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys! A couple data points:

The Notice was dated 8/20/11, the EMS postmark was 9/2/11 which means it took two weeks from decision before they mailed it out.

We received it EMS 9/6/11, in my experience 4 days is a long time for EMS but I can't blame the consulate for that

The medical report expires at 180 days (which is slightly sooner than six months) which she has to enter the US before. We could have the medical redone but that shouldn't be an issue and honestly I don't want to delay the visa issuance anymore.

Her police report expires at the one year mark but that is next year so it is not the gate.

Amazing how long three months can seem and I realize many of you have waited much longer. Hang in there.

Rather than start another topic..........

Note: I am posting this for a friend who I helped through the process. This is his notes and at the end his wife gives the actual interview experience.

While I can vouch for the the authenticity, this is not my wife and my experience. They were approved last week.

-----------------------------

Immigration Visa Forms and Process Notes:

As of 05/30/2011 (for forms)

Preface/Philosophy:

-The idea is to make it as easy as possible for the poor sap reading these forms to get through the form without stopping.

-Latest forms were always obtained online at USCIS.

-No forms were used from packets.

(Either because they could not be typed in or because they were expired.)

-Whenever possible, responses were typed in.

(Select: Enable Java for this document - Always.)

-Whenever possible and reasonable, a response was put.

-Signatures, signature date, and form areas after a none/no/blank/"N/A" response were generally left blank.

(Putting something in a N/A signature area did not seem like a good idea.)

-Except for using all Caps in I-864, I tried to use the same address (correct for the response, of course) and the same address format as was used in the I-130 for each response. The idea being that they will check the current residence, spouse residence, current mailing address, etc. to make sure they are the same when they should be the same.

-Note that we scanned both me and my wife's passport bio page together (on the same printed page). So they get a copy of mine and a copy of hers (side by side) every time.

Form: I-130

Title: Petition for Alien Relative

Version Used: Expires 1/31/2011, Rev. 11/23/10

Notes:

Used PDF fillable form (saved copy), only signature/date was hand written.

Used caps for last name only (per instructions), Normal for all else.

(For example: JONES Dave Buster and WONG Suzy none)

I tried not to leave any blank or space empty.

If none, wrote "none" in lowercase.

Examples:

Used in C #1 for middle name

Used for B and C #7 for other names

Used in B and C #9 and #10

Used in C #11

Used in C #15

If N/A, wrote "N/A"

Examples:

Used in B #14

Filled extra lines in C #17 with NA.

Used in C #22

Used in F, but not in Signature or Date area.

Compressed apartment numbers (No. 1 121 as 1-121)

Logic - Using all caps for last name helps reviewers keep track of last name.

Compressed to keep information on standard form.

Chinese address was typed in using Win 7 Chinese input language.

(I think simplified Chinese had to be installed with Adobe Reader.)

Wrote name (NAME, Here) on back of passport-type photos lightly in fine black felt pen.

Cover Letter/List of Documents:

To: USCIS

I-130 Petition for: NAME, Here

List of Documents Included:

Consular Cash Receipt and Record of Fees (for £¤2814 (equivalent to $420))

G-1145 for E-Notification

I-130 Petition for beneficiary NAME, Here

US Birth Certificate Copy for NAME, Here

China Birth Certificate Certified Copy and Translation for NAME, Here (booklet)

US Passport Copy for NAME, Here and China Passport Copy for NAME, Here (1 page)

China Marriage Certificates Certified Copy and Translation for NAME, Here and NAME, Here (2 booklets)

US Divorce Judgment Copy for EX, Wife and NAME, Here (booklet, Date/Divorced)

(*This copy was not a notarized copy, but I went home and got a notarized copy before interview.)

Passport Style Photograph for NAME, Here (taken Date/Here)

Passport Style Photograph for NAME, Here (taken Date/Here)

G-325 Biographic Information for NAME, Here (4 copies)

G-325 Biographic Information for NAME, Here (4 copies)

China Residence Permit for Foreigner Copy for NAME, Here (1 page)

Supporting Documentation:

US Consulate (CityName) Marriageability Affidavit Copy (1 page, Date/Here)

CompanyName Heath Benefits for Spouse NAME, Here (2 pages, Note: By listing NAME, Here as my spouse with CompanyName for insurance I have acknowledged that CompanyName can terminate my employment if the relationship is not bona fide. This also shows co-mingling of financial resources.)

CompanyName Company Expense Report, Copy of Flight Tickets to Nicecountry showing travel for NAME, Here and NAME, Here (5 pages, Date/Here)

Note: See page with Residence Permit (above) for Visas for entry and exit from China (to Nicecountry) Copy for NAME, Here and NAME, Here

Affidavit from driver NAME, Here with pictures, locations, and dates (4 pages)

Affidavit from NAME, Here (mother of NAME, Here)

Form: G-1145

Title: E-Notification

My impression is that this has been useless if you are DCF in China.

Used similar style as I-130.

Form: G-325

Title: Biographic Information

Version Used: Expires 06/30/2011, Rev. 06/12/09

Notes:

Used same style as I-130 since they were going together.

(LASTNAME in all caps, everything else Normal except "none" and "N/A".)

Parents names were written like WANG, Hairen instead of WANG, Hai Ren.

Compressed Street and Number to fit (i.e. #1-3-4-2, No.163 Wuyi Rd)

Only put City and Country (no province) unless asked.

Used "none" and "Homemaker" for relevant lines (time periods) in employment section.

Alien Registration number was 000-000-000 (autofilled if you type in none, I think)

Applicant's last address outside the US of more than one year. I wrote "shown above"

Last occupation abroad if not shown above. I wrote "shown above"

Chinese address was typed in using Win 7 Chinese input language.

(I think simplified Chinese had to be installed with Adobe Reader.)

Form: DS-230

Title: Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration

Version Used: Expires: 02/29/2012

Notes:

Could not save data in this form, but could type it in.

So what we did was:

-I roughed it out from what I knew at work

-I printed a copy and took it home and we checked everything together

-My wife came to work and we sat in conference room and hammered it out, printed it and checked it again. I think we printed two copies.

Used "N/A" where possible or "None" if necessary.

3/38. Had to hand write Chinese characters here. Typed in doesn't work due to form problem.

9. Selected Married and Divorced.

10. Permanent address in the US where you intend to live

-I put my home (stated that it was rented) and gave my Skype local phone number (Skype Out/Online number?) which happens to have an area code for my permanent address.

11. Mailing the green card to my mom.

22/27. Current address: We put as much as would fit typed in to avoid adding additional page.

39. Every time an address was typed in, I made sure it was the same format (looked the same) as the I-130 address.

40-42. We were able to put No for everything.

43a. We put No, Yes, Yes.

Form: Form 169 (OF-169)

Title: IV Instruction Packet

Version Used: Latest from website

Notes:

The USCIS web site version is slightly different than the delivered packet version.

-Mentions 6 photographs versus 4.

-And I think the application fee is updated.

-It specifies that you need to submit the bio page of your passport now with your Form 169.

-And I think the instructions are a little better

(Has checklist for this packet in addition to Interview checklist.)

Also - We submitted this packet before we had completely polished all the forms to speed up the process (so we had everything or access to everything, but not necessarily ready for submission).

(Be careful doing this...)

Items submitted with Form 169:

EMS mailing label

DS-230

Copy of Passport Bio Page (one page with hers and mine together, per new instructions)

Form 169 (checked and signed, both English and Chinese versions)

(Nothing else, no I-864, etc.)

Form: I-864

Title: Affidavit of Support

Version Used: Expires 10/31/2011, Rev. 10/08/10

Notes:

Used ALL CAPS FOR EVERYTHING per instructions.

Exception was "None", per instructions. Did not use "N/A".

Examples:

Used for Part 2, Middle Name

Used for Part 6 and 7.

Used for 9a in order not to leave blanks.

Part 15 - Make sure you put United States and have evidence for conditions A, B, and or C (see instructions)

(I almost goofed this one.)

Interview Packet Cover Letter (mostly for our benefit):

To: USCIS

CR1 Visa Application: NAME, Here Case Number: xxxxxxxxxx

List of Documents Included:

Visa Interview Letter

Photocopy of passport personal information pages and 2 visa photos

Notarial China Birth Certificate Certified Copy and Translation for NAME, Here (booklet)

Notarial Marriage Certificates Certified Copies and Translation for NAME, Here (2 booklets)

Notarial US Divorce Judgment Copy for EX, Wife and NAME, Here (booklet, 01/02/2008)

Notarial China Police Certificate for NAME, Here (booklet)

Evidence of Support (I-864 and supporting documents)

Original I-864 signed

Tax Returns from 2010, 2009, 2008 with Forms W2 and 1099 [the 1099 seemed excessive]

Pay Stubs showing pay for 2011 up to 8/15/2011

[current year pay estimated from pay stubs year to date)

United States Domicile Evidence (#15 condition A, B and C):

-Verification of Employment showing US employer (CompanyName)

-Property Management Statement, Property Tax Statement and Deed for US Property

-Email from hiring manager from (new position in States with same company)

accepting position starting Dec, 2011

Copy of Passport Personal Information Pages and Copy of Birth Certificate (stapled)

Affidavit from driver NAME, Here with pictures, locations, and dates

[~40 pages, printed double sided on ~20 pages, expanded from I-130 version]

Affidavit from NAME, Here (mother of NAME, Here) [same as I-130 version]

Tax Return from 2006 showing social security number for EX, Wife with date of birth

Health check was done in 24 hours (next day pickup). Very quick process.

-We did that in the afternoon, very few people, I think should be more people in the morning.

-We flew in, got the work done that afternoon, then picked up the materials the next day.

We made it done at the "Guangdong International Travel Health Care Center" which located at No. 33 Shamian North Street, Liwan District, Guangzhou. Since you can do both physical exam and vaccination there, and costs less than the other authorized health care center in Guangzhou. Another advantage is the chest X-rays film is held in a fibercontainter (tube), very convenient to take with while the other health care center put it in a big envelope.

http://www.gdwbzx.co.../tjyfjz_fm.aspx, this link goes to the mainpage of the HCC in Chinese version, you can find related information there, like their working hours, physical check process etc.

No appointment is required. The nurse there will lead you to finish the exam step by step, so don't need to worry about the process.

I heard of that applicants age over 45 need to do electrocardiogram & type-B ultrasonic. I am under 45, so I didn't have those.

I heard of Chest X-rays film requires no metal kind of stuff like necklace, bra with metal, and decoration on the clothes, otherwise the doctor will ask you to change your own clothes to their which shirt. Thus I just wore my own white shirt (no painting, no decoration, nothing).

Total cost for physical exam & vaccination was 1300.9 RMB. (I got 4 shots, actually only 3 required, but (Husband) insisted to get one more (Hep B).)

Besides, the scenery around there is very nice too. We saw 30 couples taking wedding photography and more than 10 girls taking fashion-type photography there.

First day, document intake:

-Just in case, we took extra copies of just about everything that had been submitted up to this point.

(In addition to list above.)

-Had about 8+ passport photos on hand (5 turned in at health check)

-They only took copy of her notarized marriage certificate (not mine)

-Wanted a passport bio page with just her passport only (not both as we had been submitting before)

[but they took the page with both passports]

-They took all the I-864 materials (much of the supporting items were stapled together in sets...)

Both immigration and non (?) immigration applicants waiting in queue out of the consulate building. The security guard of the consulate will put 2 indicator board, so please check the board to stand in the right lines (should be on the left).

When it starts, the security guard will check your passport and appointment letter (original one), then give you a little plastic green color card. Now you can go to the 4th floor. (Most of people will take the escalator to the 4th floor. But there is a short cut, there is an elevator back left (behind escalator), seldom people know about that, so if you take it to the 4th floor, you can be in advance of many people. Go behind the escalator, turn left then turn right, you will see the elevator.)

When you arrive the 4th floor, in another queue, the security guard will check your passport and appointment letter again, take away your little plastic green color card, then take the escalator to the 5th floor. (Husbands have to stop on the 4th floor, they can go to the citizen service room, but only after 13:00)

On the 5th floor, once again in a queue. At this moment a security guard will ask you to take out any of electronic products like mobile phone, put everything else in your bag/purse together, only keep the appointment letter out. Give your electronic products to the security guard, they will help to keep them and give you an orange plastic card with number to take your thing back when you are done. And they suggest you do not bring any electronic products here the next day. I had no electronic products, no belt, so it was easy for me.

Then you need to go through the security check. Remove your belt and shoes, put them and everything else to the conveyor belt, EXCEPT your appointment letter. Get your stuff, go to the interview hall on the right (the hall on left is for immigration). At the entrance there is a girl will take your appointment letter and staple a number on the appointment letter and give it back to you. This number will be used for the rest interview process. Then you just find a seat to sit down and wait.

When it broadcasts your number, go to according window to hand in your documents. All the consular officer for documents intake are Chinese.

Mine documents intake was:

- hand in passport and appointment letter. I said I had an expired passport, if he wanted that too. He said no, but the Visa officer might ask for that during the next day interview;

- asked for the physical report, open by myself;

- asked for 2 of my visa pictures;

- asked for my passport copy of bio page, I showed him the one with both mine and (Husband)'s bio page, he didn't take it, he thought I had one of mine own;

- asked for original Notarial marriage certificate (I only gave him mine, (Husband)'s not required), my Notarial birth certificate, my Notarial police report.

- asked for form I-864. I just gave him all the supporting documents clipped together by (Husband) listed below. The officer said he would take what he thought useful. Finally he took all of them.

Evidence of Support (I-864 and supporting documents)

Original I-864 signed

Tax Returns from 2010, 2009, 2008 with Forms W2 and 1099 [the 1099 seemed excessive]

Pay Stubs showing pay for 2011 up to 8/15/2011

[current year pay estimated from pay stubs year to date]

United States Domicile Evidence (#15 condition A, B and C):

-Verification of Employment showing US employer (CompanyName)

-Property Management Statement, Property Tax Statement and Deed for US Property

-Email from hiring manager from Site (City State)

accepting position starting Dec, 2011

Copy of Passport Personal Information Pages and Copy of Birth Certificate (stapled)

- After taking documents they need, the officer gave me an EMS label and an introduction to fill in the label, as well as a list of the eligible delivery cities. If your city is in the list, then you need to fill in the EMS label before the next day interview. You need to give the label to the Visa officer during the next day interview, and you can keep the 3rd copy (¼Ä¼þÈËÁô´æÁª£© for EMS visa tracking later. (We also took a picture of the label.)

- I went back to my seat. Later on I realized that I should pay for the visa, but the officer didn't ask me to do that. So I waited until my officer finished the next applicant, and asked him about the visa fee. He said he was just going to call me again, then he gave me a paper, and I went to window # 16, gave the paper to the lady there, after few seconds, the amount I need to pay shown on the digital screen on the left of the window, both in USD & RMB. I paid in USD, 404 dollars, since I heard that the consulate use a higher exchange rate, so it is cheaper by paying in USD than in RMB. Sorry I didn't pay attention to the RMB amount. After payment, got the paper and receipt, then gave them to the document intake officer. Back to seat waiting for fingerprint taken.

When your number is called again, go to related window with your passport and appointment letter for fingerprint. (Seems the officers here are not Chinese, but with Chinese appearance) After done, you can leave.

Second day Interview:

Interview Notes:

Got a nice lady who was quick. Was approved.

Once again waiting in the queue. If there is a green/blue dot sticks to your appointment letter, stand in the left 2 lines, if there is no, stand in the right 2 lines (also in immigration lines), but the security guards didn't tell us at the beginning. (Regarding to the green/blue dot, if you have the dot, then you can go inside of the interview hall in the 1st batch, seems they are very very old people, disabled people and people with little kids, I am not so sure about their standard, and I don't know when they stick it to your appointment letter, I think when you just enter the interview hall or during the documents intake. I had no dot on my appointment letter.)

Similar process as previous day, after security check, just go into the interview hall and be seated. While you are waiting, the officer will require all of the applicants stand up and swear, it will be in both mandarin and Cantonese.

When your number is called, go to related window, hand in your passport, EMS label and appointment letter.

My interview was:

Rabbit: "Morning madam!"

Visa Officer: Was looking back, seems didn't hear my greeting.

Rabbit: Hand in my passport, EMS label, appointment letter.

VO: Took my documents, gave the visa payment receipt back to me, saying in Chinese "Õâ¸öÊÇÎÒ¸øÄãµÄ" (I give this back to you). "ÎÒÒª¿´Ò»ÏÂÄãµÄÉú»îÕÕ" (I want to see your life photos).

Rabbit: Hand in printed photos with (Husband), which is attached to our driver's affidavit about our relationship.

VO: "Oh you can speak English, that's great." (Looked very happy. Most of people interviewed before me didn't speak English. Have no idea why she just realized I could speak English)

VO: Looking at the pictures, saying "You went to Thailand, that's lovely!"

Rabbit: "Yes, Koh Tao and Koh Samui, very nice places."

VO: "Do you and your husband go to the same church?" (Actually I didn't hear clearly, I am not sure if this was the question)

Rabbit: "No."

VO: "What do your husband do?"

Rabbit: "He works for CompanyName as engineer."

VO: "Oh, that's nice."

VO: "Have you ever been to the US?"

Rabbit: "No, never."

VO: "Have you ever joined the communist party?"

Rabbit: Didn't hear clearly. Innocent expression : p

VO: Repeated the question.

Rabbit: "No no, I never joint the CCP."

VO: "Okay, you are approved." Then gave me my appointment letter with an "Immigrant Visa pick up notice", a piece of white paper. Seems the pink/blue/white label is no longer used.

Rabbit: "So I can leave now, no further process required?"

VO: "Yes, you can go home now!"

During the interview, the VO didn't look at me too much, most of time she was typing on the computer.

Here is a floor plan of the interview place, not the latest one, but enough. The layout doesn't show the elevator. http://usa.bbs.net/i...nterview_ML.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Did you guys get your Passport and Visa back yet? How long did it take?

M & L

We are still waiting. Friday was one week that we know from EMS that they had it. I am thinking of sending an email to GUZ this afternoon so they have it first thing Monday Morning. Last Monday was also a Chinese Holiday so it wasn't a full week. Looking to pull the trigger on plane tickets, etc. but I will wait until I see the confirmation on EMS tracking.

I wonder if GUZ has a Help Wanted out for a qualified mailroom supervisor.

The Immigrant Visa section has either not received or hasnot processed the documents you recently mailed to us. Due to the large volumeof mail that the Consulate receives, we are unable to immediately process suchdocuments. After the documents have been reviewed, the beneficiary shouldreceive visa and visa package by COD mail. If the beneficiary has not receivedvisa and visa package after four weeks, we ask that the beneficiary or thepetitioner contact us again.

I wonder if GUZ has a Help Wanted out for a qualified mailroom supervisor.

The Immigrant Visa section has either not received or hasnot processed the documents you recently mailed to us. Due to the large volumeof mail that the Consulate receives, we are unable to immediately process suchdocuments. After the documents have been reviewed, the beneficiary shouldreceive visa and visa package by COD mail. If the beneficiary has not receivedvisa and visa package after four weeks, we ask that the beneficiary or thepetitioner contact us again.

Unbelievable I wonder if it will be any faster if my fiancee just goes to GUZ and hand in her passport and then pick up at post office in GUZ.

My wife just checked EMS and the Visa package and her passport was mailed Friday. We may receive it as early as today (Sunday) or tomorrow at the earliest. Friday was two weeks from when they received it.

After I sent an email inquiry on Monday, I wonder if someone actually went and found it in the mailroom.

It is not in our hands yet but I need to start looking at travel arrangements.