Osama Bin Laden killed

My question is why did it take so long his compound was around 500 yards from a Pakistani military training base.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/52448000/gif/_52448424_osama_pak304.gif

More details are emerging of how al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden was found and killed at a fortified compound on the outskirts of Abbottabad in north-west Pakistan. The compound is a few hundred metres from the the Pakistan Military Academy, an elite military training centre, which is Pakistan's equivalent to Britain's Sandhurst, according to the BBC's M Ilyas Khan who visited the area.

Earlier reports put the distance at about 200 yards (182 metres). Pakistan's military says the compound is 4km (2.4 miles) away from the academy.

But it lies well within Abbottabad's military cantonment - it is likely the area would have had a constant and significant military presence and checkpoints.

Pakistan's army chief is a regular visitor to the academy for graduation parades.

MORE....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-13257330

Got to love the BBC, not much said about this in the paper this morning.

Evidently, we have known his whereabouts for sometime. At first wanting to bomb the compound, but the President said he wanted the body to be identified. Good ending to a bad story.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is why did it take so long his compound was around 500 yards from a Pakistani military training base.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/52448000/gif/_52448424_osama_pak304.gif

More details are emerging of how al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden was found and killed at a fortified compound on the outskirts of Abbottabad in north-west Pakistan. The compound is a few hundred metres from the the Pakistan Military Academy, an elite military training centre, which is Pakistan's equivalent to Britain's Sandhurst, according to the BBC's M Ilyas Khan who visited the area.

Earlier reports put the distance at about 200 yards (182 metres). Pakistan's military says the compound is 4km (2.4 miles) away from the academy.

But it lies well within Abbottabad's military cantonment - it is likely the area would have had a constant and significant military presence and checkpoints.

Pakistan's army chief is a regular visitor to the academy for graduation parades.

MORE....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-13257330

Got to love the BBC, not much said about this in the paper this morning.

Evidently, we have known his whereabouts for sometime. At first wanting to bomb the compound, but the President said he wanted the body to be identified. Good ending to a bad story.

I think the compound is too close to the academy to have it bombed.

While sending in drones to drop bombs may be the safest route for our troops nothing says "I love you" to terrorists like an elite squad of crack special forces pulling off a precision surgical strike. It also minimizes the risk to innocent civilians. I applaud this mission. My hat is off to our men and women in uniform. The finest soldiers on earth.

Guest ExChinaExpat

Wonderful news for all Americans, and a triumph for American Navy Seals. One big question emerging are the reports of burying OBL at sea. America and the world want to see that body, not just photos and video. They say they did not want to allow his followers to identify any one location as a shrine. Whether this is simply a diversion and not true, it just seems the choice to bury him at sea may not have been the best one.

Wonderful news for all Americans, and a triumph for American Navy Seals. One big question emerging are the reports of burying OBL at sea. America and the world want to see that body, not just photos and video. They say they did not want to allow his followers to identify any one location as a shrine. Whether this is simply a diversion and not true, it just seems the choice to bury him at sea may not have been the best one.

Hopefully a lot of his followers go out to sea to honor him and their boat sinks.

I had posted this on that other site so I may as well post it here also, I give you all this quote " I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.¡± ¡ª Martin Luther King Jr

as someone that had buried a name after the 9/11 attack on the twin towers, I finally can put this to rest, as an American I am happy it is done with Osama, as a human and a member of mankind I can not help but feel remorse for all the loss of life.

I had meant not just the loss of his life because I think he should have been kept alive so he could have suffered for the rest of his life in a prison cell, but also for those that have lost thier lives in Washington,D.C., a field in Pa, and those that were in and around and that came to help the twin towers also those men and women that have given thier all for this country, this being said, as an American I am happy Osama is gone from this earth, as a relative of one gone with the towers, I weep for them, but as a Buddist I feel that all mankind should start to live together withpout wars and that all people have a right to live, when one person dies the rest of humanity should morn the loss, we are given life for only a very short time and what we do with it is up to us to decide, but why waste it in fighting and hate, wouldn't it be better to live in peace and kindness for all.

I am also aware that I do not live in a world like that dream so I must contend as best I can with this world.

Buddha bless.

I had posted this on that other site so I may as well post it here also, I give you all this quote " I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.¡± ¡ª Martin Luther King Jr

as someone that had buried a name after the 9/11 attack on the twin towers, I finally can put this to rest, as an American I am happy it is done with Osama, as a human and a member of mankind I can not help but feel remorse for all the loss of life.

I had meant not just the loss of his life because I think he should have been kept alive so he could have suffered for the rest of his life in a prison cell, but also for those that have lost thier lives in Washington,D.C., a field in Pa, and those that were in and around and that came to help the twin towers also those men and women that have given thier all for this country, this being said, as an American I am happy Osama is gone from this earth, as a relative of one gone with the towers, I weep for them, but as a Buddist I feel that all mankind should start to live together withpout wars and that all people have a right to live, when one person dies the rest of humanity should morn the loss, we are given life for only a very short time and what we do with it is up to us to decide, but why waste it in fighting and hate, wouldn't it be better to live in peace and kindness for all.

I am also aware that I do not live in a world like that dream so I must contend as best I can with this world.

Buddha bless.

Your idealism is touching, and much needed in our world. If everyone was like you, there would be no need for men like me.

Unfortunately, our world is a dangerous place, full of malevolent people who despise us. They live in an unending cycle of hatred, convinced that we are the reason their lives are so miserable. And they¡¯re teaching this hatred to their children at this moment.

For 27 years, it was my privilege to serve our country as a member of our armed forces. Our airmen, marines, sailors, and solders are, quite simply the most dedicated, selfless, and honorable people I have ever know, and I am thankful for the time I spent among them.

Since 1776, on battlefields around the world, there have been countless individual acts of bravery and heroism that have kept us safe and free. And the vast majority of them go unknown and unnoticed except by those who were there. Our county is filled with anonymous heroes.

But, today, we do know of the bravery and heroism of a group of Navy Seals; hard men, who stand between us and those who detest us.

Thank you Navy Seals.

Best Wishes