The importance of petitioner being in Guangzhou during interview

Moral support. However it is felt it looks good.

In our case interview happened just after Spring festival week, so it looked good that I was over there for that holiday. My wife carried my passport into the interview to show my being in Guangzhou to support her.

Just want to start a new thread.

Is there a real use for the petitioner being there besides moral support ???

Just want people to share their experiences. Thanks.

Good question. I can't see how it would really do any harm. She had to go through the disappointment of not getting a visitor's visa alone and there is no way I'm going to let her go through that again. Of course, I'm also hoping to bring her home on that trip... haha

This question has been asked several times over the last few years. I believe the general consensus is that no it does not make or break the case. However, the moral support is invaluable.

Edit to add my experience:

K1 interview...I was not there....received white slip.

CR1 interview...I was there... easy 3 question pass.

Edited by chilton747 (see edit history)

Just want to start a new thread.

Is there a real use for the petitioner being there besides moral support ???

Just want people to share their experiences. Thanks.

This is a question that really does not have an absolute answer. Some have been denied with the petitioner present, while others have been issued without the petitioner present. The answer is probably more a balance of: a.)the VO, b.)the VO's attitude that day, c.)level of red flags, d.)communication issues, e.)financials, f.)the number of trips and time together, g.)evidence of relationship.

In the US, for AOS, both must appear , otherwise denial for sure.

Anyhow, has any one benefited for the petitioner being there in white or blue slip cases ? eg. the petitioner can meet up with the visa officer or supervisor later .

Is the fact that the visa officer see the US passport handed over during the interview help to show support ?

I often saw writing in this forum about petitioner went to the petitioner hour or something prior to the interview . Did it do any good ???

In the US, for AOS, both must appear , otherwise denial for sure.

Anyhow, has any one benefited for the petitioner being there in white or blue slip cases ? eg. the petitioner can meet up with the visa officer or supervisor later .

Is the fact that the visa officer see the US passport handed over during the interview help to show support ?

I often saw writing in this forum about petitioner went to the petitioner hour or something prior to the interview . Did it do any good ???

Actually I felt it may have helped us a little, I did go to petitioner hour, but I had a legitimate reason to go, I needed extra copies of the P-4 documents, the VO was quite pleasant, and was kind enough to get me an entire P-4 including appointment letter, and made a note that I was there.

Unfortunately petitioner hour has been discontinued.

IT's just the way I do things but I couldn't imagine my wife going to her interview without me for support. Heck, if I thought I wasn't even going to be able to be at something as important as her interview then I probably woulnd't even petition for her to begin with.

Important to the case or not, I don't care, it's important to me that my wife has my support, in all matters and no matter what it takes.

But that is just the way this southern gentleman does things.

By the way cuzin' Bullmastiff....GUZ has done away with that hour we used to have to go over our cases with a VO. It's GONE!!

tsap seui

I think it helps in my case it was good that I was there because I was able to go resolve some issues that came up at the interview and turned it into a very easy to overcome blue slip.

for those of you that don't know my wife got a blue slip at her interview in the asking for a cosigner for my application. I was able to go to the next american citizens our the following monday and speak with a supervisor who changed the requirements from a cosigner to showin copies of my current years W-2's. if I had not been there it would've taken more time to resolve our issues.

Haven't they since stopped Petitioner hour? Yeah, go for moral support, but without an avenue of discussion with the Consulate, I'm not sure if it would make or break a petition. There's no substitute for preparation (kitchen sink) as far as ensuring a positive outcome

Haven't they since stopped Petitioner hour? Yeah, go for moral support, but without an avenue of discussion with the Consulate, I'm not sure if it would make or break a petition. There's no substitute for preparation (kitchen sink) as far as ensuring a positive outcome

How could anyone miss the interview??? Li was so nervous when i got there,after a few days she became relaxed and i really think it help her confidence for the interview.

You never know who you might meet there. We met Kyle and his wife. They played a big part in helping us for our interview. Thanks AGAIN. We got pink paper a great time

to be together a great memory. The flip side i would have been there is she did not pass. So either way i think it is good to be there.

No more petitioner hour for U.S. citizens after November 15, 2010. If it was, presenting would be much helpful since you could attend the hour and deliver a "impression" to VO.

But now I think less or no impact of petitioner’s present on VO's visa decision. Something like ineligibility can not be overcome by petitioner’s show-up.

Edited by xiaozhu (see edit history)

I would have tried to be at the interview but flew to Guilin in July and got married and when I got back to the US I immediately booked my December trip trying to get 2 trips in before the interview. But the interview was scheduled 2 weeks before my December trip, I was happy that it went quickly but sad that I was not there with my wife. I think it would definitely be a plus to be there if nothing else moral support because the SO will be scared to death of the interview.

I always wonder why Guangzhou doesn't interview both petitioner and beneficiary for CR1/IR1 just like those who are doing AOS in the US ? has it always been this way ? is it this way also for other consular posts ?

Never mind K1 because they still have to show up for AOS later .

I asked the VO this. He said that time wouldn't permit this. Guangzhou has a ton of applicants to process.