Checklist for when fiancee arrives in US

I'm not sure which forum this should go in. I'm still wrapping my head around everything that needs to take place, but I've really appreciated everyone's help in the past. This has been quite the journey.

So my fiancee is coming to the US in a month. Is there a checklist somewhere I can consult for everything we need to do once she gets here? SSN, adjustment of status, etc., and the order these should be done in? At what point will she get a work permit and a temporary visa that would allow her to leave the country?

Firstly there is the Don's checklist: http://candleforlove...?showtopic=4673

Then for what normally happens after arrival

1. Wait two weeks or so, and then apply for SSN
  2. Apply for marriage license
  3. Marry (Withing 90 days of entry)
  4. Get marriage certificate
  5. File Adjustment of status

• File I-485 Together With:
  • File I-765 (for work permit prior to getting green-card)
  • File I-131 (For Advance Parole Doc) Allows travel prior to green-card, Note it is not "Temporary Visa"

Work permit (EAD) and AP doc can take up to 90 days to get, green-card can take 4-6 months.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Firstly there is the Don's checklist: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4673

Then for what normally happens after arrival

1. Wait t weeks or so, and then apply for SSN
  2. Apply for marriage license
  3. Marry (Withing 90 days of entry)
  4. Get marriage certificate
  5. File Adjustment of status

• File I-485 Together With:
  • File I-765 (for work permit prior to getting green-card)
  • File I-131 (For Advance Parole Doc) Allows travel prior to green-card, Note it is not "Temporary Visa"

Work permit (EAD) and AP doc can take up to 90 days to get, green-card can take 4-6 months.

I think he really need to know about the OTHER checklist if you know what I mean......:)

Flowers ... don't forget the flowers at the airport! Very important as it sets the mood and trend for your new lives together! Let her settle in and get used to the idea that she is finally in the U.S.A. Make her feel welcomed and loved right from the start. The AOS and all the rest will come latter. There is a ton of useful information on this site and many knowledgeable people willing to assist you ... but first things first!

Flowers ... don't forget the flowers at the airport! Very important as it sets the mood and trend for your new lives together! Let her settle in and get used to the idea that she is finally in the U.S.A. Make her feel welcomed and loved right from the start. The AOS and all the rest will come latter. There is a ton of useful information on this site and many knowledgeable people willing to assist you ... but first things first!

Find the Asian grocery store! :)

Funny thing, my wife has been using Szechuan pepper she brought from China in her cooking but she has been unable to find it.... at a reasonable price :S ... since she has been here. We have even found some close to authentic chinese restauramts and they don't use Szechuan pepper, only chili paste. They smirk and comment that they don't use it... Americans really don't care and the Chinese don't seem to mind so much, heh. So luckily she already brought a years supply of it with her and intends to restock on her next visit. Yes, we did find it, and I point it out to her but she gripes about it being wayyy over priced here... (well, yeah, they got to SHIP it.. hehe).

So the moral of the story is that she may want to bring with her those little things that she really likes that she is dependent on, at least until she can find it in the U.S.

She is still trying to learn how to make steamed bread here in the U.S. with local ingredients....

• 2 weeks later...

File I-131 (For Advance Parole Doc) Allows travel prior to green-card, Note it is not "Temporary Visa"

I don't know why I called it a temporary visa. So the I-131 form has to be submitted after you're married? I was hoping we'd be able to go abroad for our honeymoon, but it may have to wait.

Finding the nearest Asian market is a good tip. Thanks, guys!

Edited by monkeyking (see edit history)

File I-131 (For Advance Parole Doc) Allows travel prior to green-card, Note it is not "Temporary Visa"

I don't know why I called it a temporary visa. So the I-131 form has to be submitted after you're married? I was hoping we'd be able to go abroad for our honeymoon, but it may have to wait.

I always wonder why people ask about going abroad for a honeymoon after marriage on a K-1, there are so many things to see and do right here in the U.S. of A. I would assume that a person coming to the USA would want to tour this great country, you need to view this from an immigrant's perspective.

Also consider this most counties will require a Chinese citizen to get a visitor's visa to visit, travel is not as easy for a Chinese citizen as compared to Americans.

Once having a green card, it will allow visa free visiting of north american countries, however AP (I-131) would require visas to visit NA countries.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

I get error messages no matter what I search for. Maybe someone else can find and post links to some good threads about preperation of EVERYTHING before she arrives.

I will just add, after cleaning, clean again, and don't forget about the DUST ON TOP OF THE CLOTHES BAR IN THE CLOSETS :suck_kr: and plenty food available, and maybe a WOK type skillet pan, and a rice cooker with sticky rice around, either way take her food shoping first day or two. :romantic: A lot more in other threads.

You may file the I-131 along with or AFTER you file the I-485 AOS application. The AOS filing, of course, requires that you marry first.

A sympathetic Immigrations officer MIGHT give an "emergency" I-131 after you're married (we've seen it done for the husband's business travel), but there are no guarantees.

I always wonder why people ask about going abroad for a honeymoon after marriage on a K-1, there are so many things to see and do right here in the U.S. of A. I would assume that a person coming to the USA would want to tour this great country, you need to view this from an immigrant's perspective.

Don't assume we haven't talked about it. The thing is, her interest in the US is solely because I live here, not that there are certain things she wants to see. We have our whole lives to explore the US, but for the honeymoon, it would be nice if we could go to one of the foreign countries we've both always wanted to see.