rates for airfare to China this summer

Hi friends,

Just starting to plan a trip to Liaoning this summer; dates are somewhat flexible, I can move things a few weeks if it will save some money. Here's what I just saw on flychina.com:

I need to leave on a Sunday afternoon and return Saturday two weeks later to minimize effects on my two jobs:

These prices are Austin Tx to Dalian (I'll check Shenyang too but there's usually not much difference)

leaving May 15 $1212

leaving May 22 $1237

leaving May 29 $1505

leaving June 6 $1750

Here's my question: that's quite a difference between leaving May 15th and leaving June 6th. Is that due mainly to how far out June 6 still is from today, or is it due to the airlines' attitudes about high season versus low season (middle of May maybe still being low season)?

thanks -- I'm in that place I always end up where I have to decide whether to lock in a price now, or wait and hope prices go down ($1200 sounds pretty good compared to last year).

Oh, and BTW, all this doesn't matter really -- I'll end up making the wrong decision anyway...

Too soon (1 to 2 weeks) and too far out (2 to 3 months+) you will typically pay a premium in my experience. And as you probably know, prices can fluctuate on a regular basis (sometimes daily) due to supply/demand of a particular flight.

I typically get the best deals 3 to 6 weeks out. Seems that thats the sweet spot in my experience. I have very rarely paid over $1,000 for round trip to China. But given the recent turmoil and upwards pressure on oil, it might be wise to lock in at $1,200 if you are satisfied with it.

Too soon (1 to 2 weeks) and too far out (2 to 3 months+) you will typically pay a premium in my experience. And as you probably know, prices can fluctuate on a regular basis (sometimes daily) due to supply/demand of a particular flight.

I typically get the best deals 3 to 6 weeks out. Seems that thats the sweet spot in my experience. I have very rarely paid over $1,000 for round trip to China. But given the recent turmoil and upwards pressure on oil, it might be wise to lock in at $1,200 if you are satisfied with it.

I do my search for airfare just like Brian's example. It's like a game, and if you play it you can save a few hundred dollars, but it does take patience.

I find the plane I want, with the seat I want, and watch the prices several times a day as we get close to take-off. Last year I watched it very closely and saw a price drop (ten days before take-off) late at night. Next morning I got what I wanted for $1,002 when it had been $1,400 then $1,200. It was ten days out and it only dropped for a little less than 24 hours then went right back to $1,400.

That was the highest I ever paid for the 6 trips I've made, usually I paid less than $900.

Now, I realize that in the future I may well be paying in the $1,200 to $1,400 range, especially to get what I want.

I usually only fly on United or Continental as they have direct flights to Beijing from Dulles (outside DC), or a short hop to Newark then direct to Beijing. I don't mind paying a couple of hundred dollars more for the ease of a direct flight at 13 hours, or one stop with a total of 16 hours. Now way can I handle a stop or two which takes 18 to 20 hours ot get to Beijing, they would almost have to GIVE me those tickets. I don't look at it as saving money if I have to jack around 20 hours trying to get to momma.

tsap seui

I do my search for airfare just like Brian's example. It's like a game, and if you play it you can save a few hundred dollars, but it does take patience.

I find the plane I want, with the seat I want, and watch the prices several times a day as we get close to take-off. Last year I watched it very closely and saw a price drop (ten days before take-off) late at night. Next morning I got what I wanted for $1,002 when it had been $1,400 then $1,200. It was ten days out and it only dropped for a little less than 24 hours then went right back to $1,400.

That was the highest I ever paid for the 6 trips I've made, usually I paid less than $900.

Now, I realize that in the future I may well be paying in the $1,200 to $1,400 range, especially to get what I want.

I usually only fly on United or Continental as they have direct flights to Beijing from Dulles (outside DC), or a short hop to Newark then direct to Beijing. I don't mind paying a couple of hundred dollars more for the ease of a direct flight at 13 hours, or one stop with a total of 16 hours. Now way can I handle a stop or two which takes 18 to 20 hours ot get to Beijing, they would almost have to GIVE me those tickets. I don't look at it as saving money if I have to jack around 20 hours trying to get to momma.

tsap seui

LOL, Tsap, I knew you'd come on here with your amusing game; problem is Bro', I ain't got your HUEVOS!!!

Typically June 1st is when many universities have end of semester classes and many students return home and also start of summer season for vacation travel.This is one reason June may be higher but with fuel costs soaring who knows.

I have found my best prices usually are flying on Tuesdays and returning on Thursdays but not always.There was an article on Yahoo news recently about buying tickets on tuesdays through thursdays as usuall having the lowest fare specials, now if I can just find the article.

I just searched flychina.com and found the lowest price, which turned out to be American airlines and then went to their homepage and found even lower fare.

It seems American Airlines is not allowing some search engines to carry its fares like Orbitz, Expedia and its subsidiary, Hotwire. I read other Airlines may also do this as a way to offer lower fares.

Good luck with your searching

tsap seui

LOL, Tsap, I knew you'd come on here with your amusing game; problem is Bro', I ain't got your HUEVOS!!!

HUEVOS....now that thar is FUNNY !!!!

Well, I looks at it likey this rat cheer, I know what the high price is, and am willing to pay it...so why not play a game of "close call" with it?

A set of hairy brass huevos wuz givin' to me when I left my unit in Nam, shucks I've got to do somethin' with them They weigh too much to jes wear around my dern neck all the time.

By the way, I don't think my game is gonna work anymore, it looks like I'll be payin' $1,200 to $1,600 in a few months.....dadgummit. I'll send a bill to kErNel kADaFfy. Know wudda mean?

tsap seui

Hi friends,

Just starting to plan a trip to Liaoning this summer; dates are somewhat flexible, I can move things a few weeks if it will save some money. Here's what I just saw on flychina.com:

I need to leave on a Sunday afternoon and return Saturday two weeks later to minimize effects on my two jobs:

These prices are Austin Tx to Dalian (I'll check Shenyang too but there's usually not much difference)

leaving May 15 $1212

leaving May 22 $1237

leaving May 29 $1505

leaving June 6 $1750

Here's my question: that's quite a difference between leaving May 15th and leaving June 6th. Is that due mainly to how far out June 6 still is from today, or is it due to the airlines' attitudes about high season versus low season (middle of May maybe still being low season)?

thanks -- I'm in that place I always end up where I have to decide whether to lock in a price now, or wait and hope prices go down ($1200 sounds pretty good compared to last year).

Oh, and BTW, all this doesn't matter really -- I'll end up making the wrong decision anyway...

Your flights would cost $1091 in april...I use FlyChina.com also. Have been checking flights for April, 3 week stay, around $1600, Va to Chongqing. May or June cost goes way up.

My China pricing experience has been that if the economy is in a downward trend, and passenger traffic is down----strangely, airlines will hold off the heavy discounting (for the most part---but all it takes is one to cut & run --- like Delta did several years ago---to force prices down fast among all competetors) in the 6 mo out period, but do the funny mid-night short term price plunges (as Tasp and others experienced---- I think they are trying (probably successfully) to jin up word of mouth business --- but then go back to the original pricing, which is higher than the sale, but still affordable (in their 'air'-heads)

Then, as others suggest---if its a down market, 8-6 weeks seems to be the best discount window in my experience.. Unfortunately, not at all sure this spring is going to be an off market. Predicting plenty of pent-up 'family' travel (postponed because of the bad economy). Obviously, if bookings are strong going into early spring there is zero incentive to offer further discounts.

• 2 weeks later...

tsap seui

Well Tsap, then you would not like the flights I have taken. Average has been 26 hours including lay over time and connecting flights to get to Beijing.

tsap seui

Well Tsap, then you would not like the flights I have taken. Average has been 26 hours including lay over time and connecting flights to get to Beijing.

Yessir, when I fly, I like to be in the air, not on the ground waiting to fly. Them ol' airports all look the same to me....yawn.

But Ido realize you can sometimes get cheaper flights when you're willing to sit for awhile.

I'm lucky to have the Continental and United flights out of DC

tsap seui

My preferred method is to fly Asiana Airlines into Seoul, from there it is a short one hour flight into Dalian. I haven't checked but China Southern has a lot of flights out of Seoul so I would think they fly from Seoul to most of the major cities in China direct.

I much prefer Asiana over any of the US carriers. I have flown out of LAX and ORD into Seoul. I have also heard good things about Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines.

The Seoul Airport is ranked as one of the nicest in the world, it has reasonably Good Western and, of course, Korean food. It has full recliners upstairs near the Frequent Flyer Club if you want to sleep between flights.

Plus, in my experience going through customs in Dalian is much easier than going through customs in Beijing.

In general, the cost is competitive with the lowest cost you can find on Expedia or Yahoo Travel going through Beijing or Shanghai.

My preferred method is to fly Asiana Airlines into Seoul, from there it is a short one hour flight into Dalian. I haven't checked but China Southern has a lot of flights out of Seoul so I would think they fly from Seoul to most of the major cities in China direct.

I much prefer Asiana over any of the US carriers. I have flown out of LAX and ORD into Seoul. I have also heard good things about Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines.

The Seoul Airport is ranked as one of the nicest in the world, it has reasonably Good Western and, of course, Korean food. It has full recliners upstairs near the Frequent Flyer Club if you want to sleep between flights.

Plus, in my experience going through customs in Dalian is much easier than going through customs in Beijing.

In general, the cost is competitive with the lowest cost you can find on Expedia or Yahoo Travel going through Beijing or Shanghai.

I just checked flychina.com against continental.com for flights out of my op area to HK and they seem to actually be more expensive than what I recently got. I'm heading over there mid-april and got the flight for just a hair over 1100. My July trip is looking to be around 2000 - 2200. I have to fly on the weekends though, to conserve precious vacation time, so that is driving the price up.