My fiance is a Chinese Nurse

bsmith

My fiance is a nurse in China, Now she has 3 years of college and has been a nurse for 15 years, When she arrives in the U.S. she wants to continue working as a nurse, But how will this work? can she provide copies of her college transcripts and nursing degree? or will she have to go to school here? She is better educated then most registered nurses in the U.S. But I am not sure what to tell her about this subject? Please help thanks.

My fiance is a nurse in China, Now she has 3 years of college and has been a nurse for 15 years, When she arrives in the U.S. she wants to continue working as a nurse, But how will this work? can she provide copies of her college transcripts and nursing degree? or will she have to go to school here? She is better educated then most registered nurses in the U.S. But I am not sure what to tell her about this subject? Please help thanks.

Will have to go to school here, however may be able to get credit for experience and education over there.

Best to contact your local community or nursing college and ask them.

Make sure and get her transcripts. She will need her current license.

Right now, you need to do some research as requirements vary from state to state.

Oregon has something called "Re-Entry Program". Here is the information about this program.

It is designed so foreign nurses do not have to go back and attend a full curriculum of nursing school.

They will test or update their skill set and teach them Oregon Law pertaining to nursing.

General Information

A re-entry program is an update of knowledge and skills in nursing, and includes all of the following:

• 120 hours of instruction in current nursing practice, including pharmacology (available through distance education).
  • A minimum of 160 hours of supervised clinical practice. (Contact the OSBN Education Consultant at 971-673-0685 for more information.)

Re-Entry Program List

1. Health and Education Consultants, Inc.
    PO Box 807
    Forest Grove, OR 97116
    (503) 357-2215
    E-mail: avalfre@mindspring.com
    RN/LPN Program: Flexible all year, distance learning.
  2. Clackamas Community College--Harmony Campus
    Workforce Improvement with Immigrant Nurses (WIIN) Program
    7738 SE Harmony Rd.
    Milwaukie, OR 97222
    (503) 594-6012
    http://depts.clackam...ciences/win.asp
    E-mail: cathyb@clackamas.edu
    RN Program: Once a year, limited to nurses educated in foreign countries.
  3. Oregon Health & Science University RN-BS Program
    3455 SW U.S. Veteran's Hospital Road
    Portland, OR 97239-2941
    (503) 494-7725 or 1-866-223-1811
    E-mail: proginfo@ohsu.edu
    RN Program: Limited to students admitted to OHSU RN-BSN program.

Click here for information on individualized re-entry plans.

Your state should have something similar.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

The way I know of is that she can get certified by CGFNS (http://www.cgfns.org/). If she passes English & Skills test then she just needs to take the certification to the Nursing Board in her state and pass its test and she will be a nurse in the U.S. The best thing is to have her get the CGFNS certification taken care of over there before she comes to the U.S. My wife did not do this over in China and could not get all required docs once she was here. So, now, she is just a Nurse Aid (after being a nurse for over 7 years in China) and is trying to get a GED here so she can go to college.

i can tell you for a fact , she will have to go to nursing school ,and i sure hope she can read and speak english, my wife is close to graduation, in her RN nursing class ,it have been long and hard. 15 years of nursing in china , is nothing compaired to nursing in the USA,it may help a little but not a lot, wish her luck, but first she will need all her papers translated, into english ,her collage degree and a copy of her high school degree,I wish her Good Luck

Edited by sweattrl1 (see edit history)
  • 4 weeks later...

She doesn't need go through nursing school here again, let her go to this chinese web http://www.mitbbs.com/bbsdoc/Nurse.html

She will get most information she need and she can ask questions there. There most nursing educated in china and get Rn license here. Just need go through those process required, what I heard some need some Mental Health classes here, some don't.