She lives permanently in Hong Kong, simpler K1 / K3 ?

I'm new and have been reading the FAQs. I'm confused as a result. :blink:

My GF (who I am about to visit for the first time) is a permanent resident of Hong Kong. I am a US citizen. I believe she was born there (need to confirm that) but she has lived and worked there many years.

The FAQ (http://candleforlove.com/FAQ/CFL_FAQ_DCF_Final1.htm) implies obtaining a K1 or K3 for her in HK is a little simpler because Guangzhou does not process the applications, the Chinese processing is done in HK. Is this correct ?

If I send my I-129F to the US visa center, it will go to GZ, but immediately <_< is passed to HK for the actual processing ?

A.3.4.7 confuses me a little - is this a discussion of her interview at the US consulate in HK, and a K3 visa issued the next day ? Would the same apply to a K1 ?

Since I own my home, I can add her name as an owner of the property to meet the I-130 requirement : "Documentation showing joint ownership or property" , but I don't know the sticky details of that yet, so is Fiancee /I-129F be simpler ?

Thanks for any advice, hope my questions aren't too unfocused.

Make that K-1 of CR-1, K-3 essentially is a dead visa type, NVC kills the the K-3 if they receive an approved I-130 (CR-1) at the same time they receive an approved I-129F (K-3). For some time now USCIS has tied the two petitions together then approve and send both together to NVC where NVC administratively closes the K-3 petition.

At the moment you can get K-1 or CR-1 processed through to an interview in about the same length of time.

K-1 or CR-1 interview takes place in country of citizenship.

CR-1 costs much less that K-1

K-1

I-129F: $455

Consulate: $350

AOS: $1010

($1815)

CR-1

I-130: $355

NVC I-864: $70

NVC Visa fee: $400 ($355+$45)

($825)

Your priority should be to visit one or two times before filing a petition, if do K-1 I would make a few visits before filing petition or interview, same goes for CR-1.

Note you are not filing to the visa center, that is part of DOS, you will be filing the petition with USCIS (Immigrations)

I'm new and have been reading the FAQs. I'm confused as a result. :blink:

My GF (who I am about to visit for the first time) is a permanent resident of Hong Kong. I am a US citizen. I believe she was born there (need to confirm that) but she has lived and worked there many years.

The FAQ (http://candleforlove...DCF_Final1.htm) implies obtaining a K1 or K3 for her in HK is a little simpler because Guangzhou does not process the applications, the Chinese processing is done in HK. Is this correct ?

If I send my I-129F to the US visa center, it will go to GZ, but immediately <_< is passed to HK for the actual processing ?

A.3.4.7 confuses me a little - is this a discussion of her interview at the US consulate in HK, and a K3 visa issued the next day ? Would the same apply to a K1 ?

Since I own my home, I can add her name as an owner of the property to meet the I-130 requirement : "Documentation showing joint ownership or property" , but I don't know the sticky details of that yet, so is Fiancee /I-129F be simpler ?

Thanks for any advice, hope my questions aren't too unfocused.

No, it will go to her consulate, which is in Hong Kong. The processing in China is done by the American consulate, whether GUZ or Hong Kong.

K3 is legally still an option, but, like Dan says, they tend to administratively close them these days.

Yes, the visa is issued within a few days after the interview, usually 2 or 3.

To add her name to your home, you would need to consult a lawyer or the local officials to find out any details.

Yes, K-1 would be simpler - you can file after one visit. Other visits and details can be forthcoming between then and the interview. No co-mingling of assets is expected for a K-1. Your choice.

HK used to be the easy way to avoid GUZ and was faster. I think they caught on to people purposely going to HK to avoid GUZ and then I noticed people were getting denied at HK which seemed a message to either marry and go through GUZ or pursue the I-130 through GUZ. If she is a resident of HK it should not really be seen in light of what I shared but the moral of the story is that they seemed to have gotten more serious.

The main issues to consider are your previous marriages, length of time of your relationship prior to filing and her english ability. If these raise any concerns, I would recommend you visit a few times before filing to shore up the relationship and not give anyone a reason to question it.

If she is a resident of HK it should not really be seen in light of what I shared but the moral of the story is that they seemed to have gotten more serious.

The main issues to consider are your previous marriages, length of time of your relationship prior to filing and her english ability. If these raise any concerns, I would recommend you visit a few times before filing to shore up the relationship and not give anyone a reason to question it.

I can confirm this. They do take it seriously in HK and from what I've learned they look at cases in much the same way as they do in GUZ. In HK, in my experience they look at two things very closely, one is how you met and two is how you communicate. Be prepared to address both of these issues thoroughly and up front. That said though, there are advantages to going through HK if you can. First, the case load in HK is much less than GUZ, which means communication with the consulate is a lot better and easier than GUZ. All of my emails were answered in very specific terms, no form letter responses. Second, and this is huge, as a USC, you may be able to attend the interview. Unfortunately for me, I learned this too late but at least was able to rectify with a follow up interview that both my wife and I attended together, although we were interviewed seperately.Read this review for tips on how to attend the interview with your girl.My link

A caution though not to get ahead of yourself. It's great that you're doing your research, but this is your first meeting and no matter how great it has been with emails and web cams and phone calls, the meeting in person will be the telltale. Obviously, you already know that but but just a word of caution from one who has been there.

Good luck and have a great time in Hong Kong, it is truly a fantastic city. I'm sure you'll have a great time. Feel free to pm me if you want and I can give you some tips on things to do while you're there.

Edited by dnoblett
Fixed quotes (see edit history)

OP:

Whether you choose the K1 or CR-1, I would consider making more than one visit before filing the petition.

Good luck to you!

Absolutely! just one visit and the filing tends to be a red flag for the Visa Officers.

One applicant's red flag is another's visa ticket - these things are taken on a case by case basis, with consideration of the oerall picture. Number of visits, of course, IS a part of that picture.

My advice is to treat the application as if you were painting a picture of a loving relationship, rather than trying to cover a bunch of "red flags".

One applicant's red flag is another's visa ticket - these things are taken on a case by case basis, with consideration of the oerall picture. Number of visits, of course, IS a part of that picture.

My advice is to treat the application as if you were painting a picture of a loving relationship, rather than trying to cover a bunch of "red flags".

I could not agree less... for the simple fact that a relationship of two months of chatting with a visit and then a filing WILL NOT BE CAPABLE of painting much of anything other than a flag.

90% of the filers (I am generous here as I truly think it is higher) are going to be viewed by GUZ as a relationship with no foundation. Out of that they will look for small difference but know that most of this is because USCs haven't a clue as to this process. So they struggle to figure out what to approve based on... drum roll... sterotyping.. profiling... 'red flags'.

Put yourself in a VOs shoes who sees 100s a week. How do you differentiate the guy who chatted 2 months and visited and filed from a guy who chatted 4 months and visted and filed from a guy who chatted 6 months and visited and filed?

The only solution is for guys to STOP treating the relationship like the Daytona 500 and more like a relationship. I would bet money that if GUZ saw you visit a few times and she actually speaks english your good. If she doesn't speak english, no amount of visits is going to fix that. IMO... this is the current climate. Take your own risk. Good luck

You know very well that we did pretty good filing after 21 days of contact, only 1 meeting, and no common language.

Again, it's the overall picture that matters (whether then or in the light of what they see today).

Don't get me wrong - trips are GOOD - just look at the overall picture, and don't overly obsess on what someone labels a "red flag".

Just my advice - no agreement is necessary.

We filed after meeting in OCt then filed in Feb i went back in March for 3 weeks then in Nov for the interview and we got pink. She knew only 10 words of English when i met her,but

sent her to English school in April and she learned enough English to have her interview in English. I did everything i learned on this website for as getting ready for the interview and front loading I say good luck no matter when you file.Thanks again for all the people on here.

You know very well that we did pretty good filing after 21 days of contact, only 1 meeting, and no common language.

yes... about 4-5 years ago :rolleyes:

Which means NOTHING TODAY.

There is one rule I live by here in CFL.... Deal with GUZ as they are TODAY. the best indication is the last 6-12 months.

Trends rule. Individual cases don't. No agreement necesssary.

Edited by david_dawei (see edit history)

John Sawtooth,

The questions are not unfocused, but rather the entire situation. I'm sorry to give such a direct opinion, but I think marriage isn't your next step in the relationship. I know new love can be great, I know all about the e-mails, skype chats, and all kinds of other communications that can really make the new relationship exciting. BUT, you really need to give more visits to China and see if this girl/woman is really the right one for you. I took 2 visits, then lived there as an English teacher before filing. Then during filing visited a bunch more. Im not rich, but I made my way to get there. The point is, I'm not trying to compare you to me, but just giving an example of how many steps I took before choosing to marry. Im not old enough to give great yoda advice, but I think when you live with someone, the real relationship blossoms and the true colors come out. You can't go by your gut on these things, and using your heart isn't enough, you really have to be honest with yourself and ask, do I really want to marry this woman?. Do I really know her enough? Is it odd that I haven't met her ENTIRE family yet before talking of marriage. This is of course she is somewhat young, maybe your situation is "older" then my years, so maybe the last question about meeting her family doesn't imply. Anyway, sorry to go on a rant, I know nothing, just an opinion.

yes... about 4-5 years ago :rolleyes:

Which means NOTHING TODAY.

There is one rule I live by here in CFL.... Deal with GUZ as they are TODAY. the best indication is the last 6-12 months.

Trends rule. Individual cases don't. No agreement necesssary.

No - options, and informed decisions (on the part of the OP) ALWAYS rule.

John Sawtooth,

The questions are not unfocused, but rather the entire situation. I'm sorry to give such a direct opinion, but I think marriage isn't your next step in the relationship. I know new love can be great, I know all about the e-mails, skype chats, and all kinds of other communications that can really make the new relationship exciting. BUT, you really need to give more visits to China and see if this girl/woman is really the right one for you. I took 2 visits, then lived there as an English teacher before filing. Then during filing visited a bunch more. Im not rich, but I made my way to get there. The point is, I'm not trying to compare you to me, but just giving an example of how many steps I took before choosing to marry. Im not old enough to give great yoda advice, but I think when you live with someone, the real relationship blossoms and the true colors come out. You can't go by your gut on these things, and using your heart isn't enough, you really have to be honest with yourself and ask, do I really want to marry this woman?. Do I really know her enough? Is it odd that I haven't met her ENTIRE family yet before talking of marriage. This is of course she is somewhat young, maybe your situation is "older" then my years, so maybe the last question about meeting her family doesn't imply. Anyway, sorry to go on a rant, I know nothing, just an opinion.

I think this is good advice for ANY potential marriage relationship, and even more so for relationships developed over the web, half way around the world.

I am not young, but also no yoda of great advice, still I concur with this advice.

I read these relationship stories here on the candle, and I listen to the couples I know. Mostly the USC doesn't speak Chinese, not more than a few words at any rate. The wives speak enough english to get by, but not enough for a conversation.

These couples stay married, and their relationship survives, but that is because they don't speak each other language. If each knew what the other was saying, thinking, I think their relationship would quickly get better or fall apart... instead it just drifts along.

How long can it drift before all is lost?

THIS IS A LIFETIME COMMITMENT.. isn't it worth more than some chat and a single 1000$ vacation?

If you can't afford to invest more than a single trip in the relationship, how will you ever survive living together?

(Sorry, a little off topic, but sometimes I rant too.)

Edited by credzba (see edit history)