Culture and Language Differences

She heads into the shower and spends 30 minutes or so getting wet, turning off the water, lathering up, rinsing off, turning off the water, soaping up with the wet towel around her neck, rinsing off, turning off the water, shampooing her hair, rinsing off her hair, turning off the water and jumping out dripping wet. Sometimes she even gets the shower door all the way closed while doing this ritual.

I can't believe what your saying!! Your lady sometimes even gets the shower door all the way closed.... LOL

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest blsqueaky
She heads into the shower and spends 30 minutes or so getting wet, turning off the water, lathering up, rinsing off, turning off the water, soaping up with the wet towel around her neck, rinsing off, turning off the water, shampooing her hair, rinsing off her hair, turning off the water and jumping out dripping wet. Sometimes she even gets the shower door all the way closed while doing this ritual.

I can't believe what your saying!! Your lady sometimes even gets the shower door all the way closed.... LOL

Now heck, I can not even belive, this. My wife gets in the shower, and it runs the whole Daayum time (and no that that was a not SP), and just today she was telling me, (ohh never mind what she told me about my big body causing the waves in the tub) water on the floor.

But I will say, she comes to bed try, in fact, I have even heard the hair dryer on a few times. Now go figure, different areas, different cultures

Talking about wet towels, my husband still complains about my wet towel in the kitchen -- he likes to use sponge, but I like to use hot wet towel to clean the grease. The comprimise is: we have both sponge and wet towel in the kitchen -- I just have to hang it out when I am done.

Talking about bath towels--

When I visited my sister last summer, they could not keep up with my demand for bath towels. I promised them I will bring my own towels next time I stay at her house. They dry everything in the sun - get very touch -- they don't have dryer or softener there. In this respect, American life spoiled me big time!

Judging the appearance, cities like Shanghai look a lot fancier than many cities in the US. However, the quality of day to day life -- small things like towels, paper towels, tissues, napkins, public restrooms, customer serivices, etc, you can still tell the huge difference.

I have seen a quite a few posts relating this culture difference. Having been here for almost 14 years in a entirely American environment, I will start a different topic about how you -- the American half could help your spouse/step children to adjust/merge into this society. I have seen many Chinese here -- with good jobs and big houses here, but deep down, they feel lonely here, longing to go back home when they retire. They don't feel comfortable at company parties, don't catch jokes at work.

I feel very luck in this respect -- I never feel like an outsider among Americans -- they treat me likewise -- my husband is a major contributor in my adjusting to the life here. Your spouse could accomplish that too because they have the same advantage as I do.

No 1 job for them to be successful is to get the language skill, regardless what they intend to do, no matter how good their English is at this point, and the best teacher should be you, right at home. I am still learning from my husband every day. He is a walking encyclopedia for both me and my daughter.

Charlotte you are a god send. I don't think there is a man here who is waiting for his bride that won't appreciate your advice. Sure we know the basics, patience understanding etc but your experience could help us greatly. Thank you so much.

Charlotte has been around since the infamous black hole days when she was waiting for her daughter's visa to come through. She has a very unique background having lived here so long. I'm always pleased when she offers her wisdom and knowledge to an issue at hand.

I agree Don. Charlotte is a true blessing. Back in the black hole days, when we were living in China, Charlotte called us from America and had several long talks with Li and myself. She even tried to check on our case for us with DOS, as calling from China was so hard. Her advice is always good and her insight invaluable.

I got my wife enrolled into an ESL class at the local community college today. She starts class tomorrow night. She is excited about it and I am excited for her. It will at least get her out of the house for awhile and give her something more to do and something that she really wants to do.....to improve her english.

Maybe we should start a new thread called "Ask Charlotte" Kind of like Dear Abby

Now there's a great idea.

Thanks, guys for your kind words. I am like all their Chinese who happen to love this country while maintaining close ties and strong beliefs in my own heritage. My marriage is a few years ahead of you -- so if anything I can help I will answer to the best of my knowledge. PM or email will work fine too. If I think your question is relavant to others on board, I will post on board for you without revealing the source. I don't know all the right answers, but I will certain share my views and thoughts on anything that concerns you. Let us help each other, one another!

~My corruptable western ways...........

I found out a couple of weeks ago that my wife has developed a taste for my coffee! Now this is a woman who has drank nothing more than hot water for all her life, not hardly any fruit juices and definitely no soft drinks. I found out that whatever I left in the pot when I left for work in the morning, she would pour it out into a bowl and then sometimes even run another pot of water thru the grinds and I'm thinking, "haha!...the wonders of caffeine!...they don't call it 'go-juice' for nothing!"...lol.

Well, I just thought I post this 'lil tid-bit when my wife just came into the room saying that she just drank a "bowl" of coffee. I looked at her and said, with my suspicions confirmed," You like coffee, don't you?" She said, "Yes, ...it keeps me awake!"

She is now busily reading English words from her workbook!....

Juan Valdez.....you have gained another, amigo!............. :lol: