Culture and Language Differences

We had the same thing here, try to shower with all the clothes, I had to put everything away first, then shower. I also noticed the dial soap was used for washing clothes at first, now my wife learned about the washer and dryer, look at the electric bill. I hope the old Kenmore holds out, don't ask the age of it, works great still. I know the cardboard feeling of some clothes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest blsqueaky

I guess that I also am going to be lucky here. At home Ling has a wahing machine, but still likes to do delicates by hand. First time I visited her in GZ, I brought enough underclothes to last the whole trip. First night there, by the time that I got out of the shower, she had already washed them, so so much for bringing that many. I tried to explain that I had plenty and she did not need to do this, but lost that battle. She even wanted to wash my shirts by hand, but that battle I won, and just sent them to the cleaner. She complained to much money. If I remember, I think that cost was $.50/shirt. I told her wait till she gets here and sees the cost.

Now I just imagine when she gets in the truck, where does she plan on hanging these nice little delicates. I like Don have plenty. In my lazy days when on the road, sometimes I got stuck out longer than planned for, and ran out of laundry, so instead of doing laundry, I would just go to Wal-Mart and buy more socks and undies. I think that I am now up to enough to last 6 weeks.

We had the same thing here, try to shower with all the clothes, I had to put everything away first, then shower. I also noticed  the dial soap was used for washing clothes at first, now my wife learned about the washer and dryer, look at the electric bill. I hope the old Kenmore holds out, don't ask the age of it, works great still. I know the cardboard feeling of some clothes.

I know what you mean....that dial soap freshness and cardboard rigidity, my clothes are hanging everywhere! Just the other night I got "clotheslined and mugged" by a couple of my sweaters hanging on the back porch!.............. :)

Takes some getting use to, being the washer&dryer man I have been all my life!

When Bing and I went to Guilin I was amazed at how little she packed for the trip considering we would be there for 4 days. All she took was a little backback like you put books in. It became clear to me when we got there. Every night she would wash her things by hand and hang them up in the shower. Meanwhile I was lugging the suitcase, briefcase and carry on bag that I brought to China with me. I think she has the better system.

Okay...we have touched on heat & windows and on clothes, washer & dryers. Let me touch on:

FOOD- too many stories to post but if I had to pick one it'll be the time my wife got upset at me for throwing away some McDonalds french fries. I guess I should get rid of that potato gun I have in the shed!

LIGHTING- my whole world has changed as far as lights in the house go! I use to keep the small light above the stove on and a couple little lamps in the living room. There's a ceiling fan in the living room with four lights that I rarely use. Now, my wife cooks in the dark and those four 60 watt bulbs are constantly burning with the light blaring me straight in the eyeballs! The ceiling fan has become my enemy...lol.

TV- not an issue other than I see where my wife has discovered the "lifetime" channel for women. Yes, that all woman channel with the likes of Merideth Baxter and Tyne Daley who just love to engage in man bashing. So the answer to the post about "the language of woman" is that it is all the same regardless of race, culture or country!

Well, there listed is but a few more things dealing with cultural differences. I am just trying to make light of a situation that takes much patience, understanding and adjustments between two culturally different people. Overall, everything is great! We both love each other very much and we have a great time together. The cultural differences, we can work out and we are, by whatever means it takes and I think that love is the key.

~just my humble and honest opinion and observations

Same here with the dryer. Nothiing like my nice jeans turned into particle board. Also had the same problem as Carl and the suitcases.

How about the body washing concept? Man, Mei washes her body all the time. I on the other hand I typically shower once per day, in the morning. After some debate I decided to explain the washroom differences. In China the washrooms are filthy enviornments. But in the USA they are typically quite clean. After I explained this we came to an understanding. While in China I would bath morning and night, while in the USA.... well we will see.

Guest blsqueaky
Same here with the dryer.  Nothiing like my nice jeans turned into particle board.  Also had the same problem as Carl and the suitcases.

How about the body washing concept?  Man, Mei washes her body all the time.  I on the other hand I typically shower once per day, in the morning.  After some debate I decided to explain the washroom differences.  In China the washrooms are filthy enviornments.  But in the USA they are typically quite clean.  After I explained this we came to an understanding.  While in China I would bath morning and night, while in the USA.... well we will see.

Oh this last part brings up some of the same problems. I like my shower in the evening, and Ling knows this, so when I wake in the morning, out of the bathroom she comes with a hot towel, she just has to wash my face and back and chest. I try to explain that as soon as coffee, then bathroom and clean up, then this also brings up another little battle, brushing teeth. She, first thing, me, after coffee or the morning tea. Why brush, when you are next going to get dirty.

Now here is one that Ling will learn the hard way, and that is when on the road with me, some of the truck stops have that automatic flush, so I can just imagine the look on her face the first time that she runs into this. Ohh, I hope that I have my camera that time. I know that in GZ they have them in some mens restrooms, as far as urinals, but I have not seen a toilet that way there.

How about the body washing concept?  Man, Mei washes her body all the time.  I on the other hand I typically shower once per day, in the morning.  After some debate I decided to explain the washroom differences.  In China the washrooms are filthy enviornments.  But in the USA they are typically quite clean.  After I explained this we came to an understanding.  While in China I would bath morning and night, while in the USA.... well we will see.

Whoa, Boy. I am a morning shower person. Xiahong is a night shower person. Our nighttime routine is for me to wash hands and face (to wash off any cat traces) and hit the sack. She heads into the shower and spends 30 minutes or so getting wet, turning off the water, lathering up, rinsing off, turning off the water, soaping up with the wet towel around her neck, rinsing off, turning off the water, shampooing her hair, rinsing off her hair, turning off the water and jumping out dripping wet. Sometimes she even gets the shower door all the way closed while doing this ritual.

Then, she 'dries off' with the wet towel (after washing and wringing it out in the sink) and comes to bed wet and cold.

It's still a shock to get up in the middle of the night to take a leak and walk on those cold, soggy towels on the floor. Sometimes, it makes me pick up the pace.

Now washing hands in the kitchen sink is another thing altogether. One must turn on the water full force to make sure it splatters in a three-foot radius on the counter, window and wall. Then, the hands must be shook off on the floor before 'drying' them on the wet towel sitting next to the sink.

Hmmmm. Just a minor period of adjustment. :)

But Don just think how cute she will look when she slips on the wet floor an lands on her a$$ while she is sitting there looking for sympathy just toss her a towel an ask her to clean up the water while she is down there.

OK on second thought maybe you should just carry her to the bed an make sure she is ok.

Anyway, Xiahong went outside for somthing while I was watching TV. Shortly aftwards, I heard a kind of moaning sound. So I went to the door and saw her getting up from the front lawn with a wet spot on her butt. She had fallen on the ice and was a bit displeased about it.

Then she got ticked off because I knew what happened.  

I had something similar happen only my EX laid there on the ice screaming until I ran out in bare feet picked her up and carried her back into the house the whole time on ice, Then instead of being kind and saying thank you she screams at me about how she is going to sue the land lord, I told her "Oh sue him cause you cant walk"

Guest blsqueaky
How about the body washing concept?  Man, Mei washes her body all the time.  I on the other hand I typically shower once per day, in the morning.  After some debate I decided to explain the washroom differences.  In China the washrooms are filthy enviornments.  But in the USA they are typically quite clean.  After I explained this we came to an understanding.  While in China I would bath morning and night, while in the USA.... well we will see.

Whoa, Boy. I am a morning shower person. Xiahong is a night shower person. Our nighttime routine is for me to wash hands and face (to wash off any cat traces) and hit the sack. She heads into the shower and spends 30 minutes or so getting wet, turning off the water, lathering up, rinsing off, turning off the water, soaping up with the wet towel around her neck, rinsing off, turning off the water, shampooing her hair, rinsing off her hair, turning off the water and jumping out dripping wet. Sometimes she even gets the shower door all the way closed while doing this ritual.

Then, she 'dries off' with the wet towel (after washing and wringing it out in the sink) and comes to bed wet and cold.

It's still a shock to get up in the middle of the night to take a leak and walk on those cold, soggy towels on the floor. Sometimes, it makes me pick up the pace.

Now washing hands in the kitchen sink is another thing altogether. One must turn on the water full force to make sure it splatters in a three-foot radius on the counter, window and wall. Then, the hands must be shook off on the floor before 'drying' them on the wet towel sitting next to the sink.

Hmmmm. Just a minor period of adjustment. :angry:

Don, after reading this, I wonder if our wifes our related. Mine is pretty much the same way, has to spray the sink area as far as possible, water on the floor. I mention this to Ling and she just says that it will be dry in morning, but then in the morning, wash face, another shower, and again water all over the place. I have told her that when she arrives here no more, since my floors are carpeted, and I am not tearing them up. Oh what adjustments when she arrives.

Also waiting for her 1st winter here, especially since she likes to walk fast. Could be very interesting.

Hmmmm. Just a minor period of adjustment. :angry:

Don, after reading this, I wonder if our wifes our related. Mine is pretty much the same way, has to spray the sink area as far as possible, water on the floor. I mention this to Ling and she just says that it will be dry in morning, but then in the morning, wash face, another shower, and again water all over the place. I have told her that when she arrives here no more, since my floors are carpeted, and I am not tearing them up. Oh what adjustments when she arrives.

Also waiting for her 1st winter here, especially since she likes to walk fast. Could be very interesting.

Li does this as well. She likes to dry with a wet towel. She has explained to me that she gets dryer that way but I still can't fathom it. :blink:

Hmmmm. Just a minor period of adjustment. :D

Li does this as well. She likes to dry with a wet towel. She has explained to me that she gets dryer that way but I still can't fathom it. :lol:

OOoohhhh......soooo thats what the wet towel thing is all about!......... I often wondered but never asked my wife about it! Just one of them things best left alone........ :D :D

OOoohhhh......soooo thats what the wet towel thing is all about!.........  I often wondered but never asked my wife about it! Just one of them things best left alone........ :rolleyes:  :lol:

Yes I expect there will be plenty of times on both parties,side that :lol: the better part of valor will be to leave it alone . Just gently smile to oneself and marval at all the differances............. and yet, all the things that bought you together :lol:

rat