Culture and Language Differences

My wife was reading a section out of her daughter's Civics textbook about China. It is a really good, up-to-date textbook. She got a laugh about the color key on the map of China and vicinity shown. The map shows China in color red and surrounding areas, including Taiwan in color green.

My wife laughed. She says in China, a map of China and Taiwan are shown in the same color!............. ;)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been wondering where to post this. Here seems to be the right place.

My wife hates my cooking. But, she's tired of cooking all the time. So, I tried Mexican the other day (soft shell tacos) and she loved it.

So...today we're hosting a Super Bowl party. I figured a "Make-Your-Own-Taco" lunch would be easy and enjoyed by all. JM agreed (she's also making her sweet-n-spicy ribs -- nummy!). Of course, JM thought she could improve on my cooking. Huh? How??? She said she could make the flour tacos better! I tried to politely say that the Mexicans have done it so well for so long that I didn't want to change what people are used to. She insisted.

So, we bought flour and she went to work. Flour, eggs, salt, and sugar. I joked and said she forgot the syrup (she didn't get the pancake joke). But, that's what she kept producing....variations of pancakes. They all sucked (but the dogs loved it!). Thank God she gave up trying....it would have been a disaster. But, God bless her for wanting to try.

Gee--I wonder what I could tell the Chinese to improve? What would I change over there? How about serving food without bones? What a concept!? Or, maybe teach that meat is meat; organs are organs. An esophogus is neither! The best part of the pig is not the ear; a dog "rolling over" doesn't mean flipping the meat in the hot pot. Smelly vegetables need not be eaten, no matter how "healthy" they are.

But, I digress......

So, we bought flour and she went to work.  Flour, eggs, salt, and sugar.  I joked and said she forgot the syrup (she didn't get the pancake joke).  But, that's what she kept producing....variations of pancakes.  They all sucked (but the dogs loved it!).  Thank God she gave up trying....it would have been a disaster.  But, God bless her for wanting to try.

Try tortilla flour next time and a tortilla press B)

I've been wondering where to post this.  Here seems to be the right place.

My wife hates my cooking.  But, she's tired of cooking all the time.  So, I tried Mexican the other day (soft shell tacos) and she loved it.

So...today we're hosting a Super Bowl party.  I figured a "Make-Your-Own-Taco" lunch would be easy and enjoyed by all.  JM agreed (she's also making her sweet-n-spicy ribs -- nummy!).  Of course, JM thought she could improve on my cooking.  Huh?  How???  She said she could make the flour tacos better!  I tried to politely say that the Mexicans have done it so well for so long that I didn't want to change what people are used to.  She insisted.

So, we bought flour and she went to work.  Flour, eggs, salt, and sugar.  I joked and said she forgot the syrup (she didn't get the pancake joke).  But, that's what she kept producing....variations of pancakes.  They all sucked (but the dogs loved it!).  Thank God she gave up trying....it would have been a disaster.  But, God bless her for wanting to try.

Gee--I wonder what I could tell the Chinese to improve?  What would I change over there?  How about serving food without  bones?  What a concept!?  Or, maybe teach that meat is meat; organs are organs.  An esophogus is neither!  The best part of the pig is not the ear; a dog "rolling over" doesn't mean flipping the meat in the hot pot.  Smelly vegetables need not be eaten, no matter how "healthy" they are. 

But, I digress......

I guess I am not the only one making taco mistakes.......

Flour Tortillas Back to the top

http://www.texmextogo.com

Ingredients:

Flour tortillas made a late appearance on the Mexican table and became the bread staple in the northern states only. They are traditionally made with lard but for health reasons, tortilla factories and chefs have switched to vegetable shortening or vegetable oil.

3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

1 tsp. Salt

1/3 cup vegetable oil or shortening

1 cup warm water but not boiling

Directions:

Combine the flour, salt, and shortening in a large bowl and mix together until crumbly, as for pie dough. Add water and mix until you can gather the dough into a ball. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rest for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.

To form the tortillas, divide the dough into 12 equal portions. Roll each portion between the palms of your hands to make a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each ball into an 8 inch circle. Layer the circles between sheets of plastic wrap as you go.

To cook the tortillas, heat a heavy skillet, griddle or comal over high heat until beginning to smoke. Place a tortilla in the pan and cook for 30 seconds. Turn and cook on the other side until slightly puffed and speckled brown on the underside but still soft enough to fold, about 30 seconds. Remove and continue until all the tortillas are cooked, stacking them as you go. Serve right away or cool, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 days.

I've been wondering where to post this.  Here seems to be the right place.

My wife hates my cooking.  But, she's tired of cooking all the time.  So, I tried Mexican the other day (soft shell tacos) and she loved it.

So...today we're hosting a Super Bowl party.  I figured a "Make-Your-Own-Taco" lunch would be easy and enjoyed by all.  JM agreed (she's also making her sweet-n-spicy ribs -- nummy!).  Of course, JM thought she could improve on my cooking.  Huh?  How???  She said she could make the flour tacos better!  I tried to politely say that the Mexicans have done it so well for so long that I didn't want to change what people are used to.  She insisted.

So, we bought flour and she went to work.  Flour, eggs, salt, and sugar.  I joked and said she forgot the syrup (she didn't get the pancake joke).  But, that's what she kept producing....variations of pancakes.  They all sucked (but the dogs loved it!).  Thank God she gave up trying....it would have been a disaster.  But, God bless her for wanting to try.

Gee--I wonder what I could tell the Chinese to improve?  What would I change over there?  How about serving food without  bones?  What a concept!?  Or, maybe teach that meat is meat; organs are organs.  An esophogus is neither!  The best part of the pig is not the ear; a dog "rolling over" doesn't mean flipping the meat in the hot pot.  Smelly vegetables need not be eaten, no matter how "healthy" they are.  

But, I digress......

Ingredients:

Flour tortillas made a late appearance on the Mexican table and became the bread staple in the northern states only. They are traditionally made with lard but for health reasons, tortilla factories and chefs have switched to vegetable shortening or vegetable oil.

1 tsp. Salt

Directions:

Combine the flour, salt, and shortening in a large bowl and mix together until crumbly, as for pie dough. Add water and mix until you can gather the dough into a ball. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rest for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.

To form the tortillas, divide the dough into 12 equal portions. Roll each portion between the palms of your hands to make a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each ball into an 8 inch circle. Layer the circles between sheets of plastic wrap as you go.

To cook the tortillas, heat a heavy skillet, griddle or comal over high heat until beginning to smoke. Place a tortilla in the pan and cook for 30 seconds. Turn and cook on the other side until slightly puffed and speckled brown on the underside but still soft enough to fold, about 30 seconds. Remove and continue until all the tortillas are cooked, stacking them as you go. Serve right away or cool, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 days.

Translate that into Mandarin Chinese and I'll think about showing it to her. But, trust me...she'll change it. I know she will!!! It's in the Chinese genes......

I've been wondering where to post this.  Here seems to be the right place.

My wife hates my cooking.  But, she's tired of cooking all the time.  So, I tried Mexican the other day (soft shell tacos) and she loved it.

So...today we're hosting a Super Bowl party.  I figured a "Make-Your-Own-Taco" lunch would be easy and enjoyed by all.  JM agreed (she's also making her sweet-n-spicy ribs -- nummy!).  Of course, JM thought she could improve on my cooking.  Huh?  How???  She said she could make the flour tacos better!  I tried to politely say that the Mexicans have done it so well for so long that I didn't want to change what people are used to.  She insisted.

So, we bought flour and she went to work.  Flour, eggs, salt, and sugar.  I joked and said she forgot the syrup (she didn't get the pancake joke).  But, that's what she kept producing....variations of pancakes.  They all sucked (but the dogs loved it!).  Thank God she gave up trying....it would have been a disaster.  But, God bless her for wanting to try.

Gee--I wonder what I could tell the Chinese to improve?  What would I change over there?  How about serving food without  bones?  What a concept!?  Or, maybe teach that meat is meat; organs are organs.  An esophogus is neither!  The best part of the pig is not the ear; a dog "rolling over" doesn't mean flipping the meat in the hot pot.  Smelly vegetables need not be eaten, no matter how "healthy" they are.  

But, I digress......

Ingredients:

1 tsp. Salt

Directions:

Translate that into Mandarin Chinese and I'll think about showing it to her. But, trust me...she'll change it. I know she will!!! It's in the Chinese genes......

Hell,,,why make tortillas when you can buy them in the Mexican section of your local grocery store by the stack full!!!........ :lol:

Translate that into Mandarin Chinese and I'll think about showing it to her.  But, trust me...she'll change it.  I know she will!!!  It's in the Chinese genes......

³É·Ý: Ãæ·ÛÓñÃ×·Û±¡ÀÓ±ýÒ»´ÎÍí¶ÃæÔÚÄ«Î÷¸ç×ÀºÍ³ÉΪÁËÃæ°ü¶¤ÊéÕëÔÚ±±×´Ì¬Î¨Ò»¡£ËûÃÇ´«Í³Éϱ»×öÓÃÖíÓ͵«Îª½¡¿µÔ­Òò, ÓñÃ×·Û±¡ÀÓ±ý¹¤³§ºÍ³øʦ½»»»Á˶ÔÊß²ËÊìÖÆ»ò²ËÓÍ¡£ 3 ¸ö±­×ÓδƯ°×µÄ¶àÓÃ;Ãæ·Û1 tsp ¡£ÑÎÈÜÁË1/3 ±­×Ó²ËÓÍ»òËõ¶Ì1 ¸ö±­×ÓÎÂůµÄË®µ«²»Öó·Ð ·½Ïò: ½áºÏÃæ·Û¡¢ÑÎ, ºÍËõ¶ÌÔÚÒ»¸ö´óÍëºÍ»ìºÏÔÚÒ»ÆðÖ±µ½´à, ÖÁÓÚΪÏÚ±ýÃæÍÅ¡£¼ÓË®ºÍ»ìºÏÖ±µ½ÄúÄܻἯÃæÍÅÈëÇò¡£×ªÒÆÃæÍŵ½Çá΢floured ±íÃæºÍÈàÖ±µ½¹â»¬ºÍÓе¯ÐÔ, ´óÔ¼5 ·ÖÖÓ¡£¸Ç×ÓÓëËÜÁÏÌ׺ÍÁô³öÐÝÏ¢ÔÚÖÁÉÙ30 ·ÖÖÓ»ò2 ¸öСʱ¡£ ÐγÉÓñÃ×·Û±¡ÀÓ±ý, »®·ÖÃæÍųÉ12 ¸öÏàµÈµÄ²¿·Ý¡£¹ö¶¯¸÷¸ö²¿·ÝÔÚÄúµÄÊÖÖ®¼ä×Øéµ×öÇò¡£ÔÚÇá΢floured ±íÃæ, ¹ö¶¯ÔÚ¸÷¸öÇòÖ®ÍâÈëÒ»¸ö8 Ó¢´çȦ×Ó¡£·Ö²ã¶Ñ»ýȦ×ÓÔÚËÜÁÏÌ×Ö®¼ä°åÁÏÈçͬÄúÈ¥¡£ Åëµ÷ÓñÃ×·Û±¡ÀÓ±ý, ¼ÓÈÈÖصÄskillet ¡¢Æ½°å¯»òcomal ¸ßÈÈÖ±µ½¿ªÊ¼¶ÔÑÌ¡£°²ÖÃÒ»¸öÓñÃ×·Û±¡ÀÓ±ýÔÚƽµ×¹øºÍ³ø·ò30 Ã롣ת¶¯ºÍÅëµ÷ÔÚ¶Ô·½Ö±µ½Çá΢µØ´­ÆøºÍÓаߵãµÄºÖÉ«ÔÚÏÂÃ浫×ã¹»ÈíÃàÃàµØÈÔÈ»ÕÛµþ, ´óÔ¼30 Ã롣ȥ³ýºÍ¼ÌÐøÖ±µ½ËùÓÐÓñÃ×·Û±¡ÀÓ±ý±»Åëµ÷, ¶Ñ»ýËûÃÇÈçͬÄúÈ¥¡£Á¢¼´·þÎñ»òÀäÈ´, °ü¹üÔÚËÜÁÏÌ׺ÍÀä²Ø3 Ìì¡£

hehe :-)