Single Status for interview

My friend asked me if he needs a letter certifying his single status? If so, do you know from which agency can provide him with such letter? His fiancee's interview is next month.

When my wife had her K1 interview, she didn't have one. See if anyone had one for the interview recently. My friend will thank all replies.

I believe this is much more of a Chinese government document. It seems to be pretty standard that you have one when you get married in China. Your friend must be getting married in China if someone is asking for this.

There are different agencies that handle different things when you get married there. I'm not sure which office it was but someone there in CQ created a "single certificate" for me based on the documents of my previous divorce. If someone is American and has never been married I do not know how you'd prove this.

We had a very interesting little encounter when we were filing the marriage documents. We gave everything to the marriage office (the Office of Foreign Marriages and Adoption) and Youyue's father had to take my divorce papers over to another office for some reason or another. There were some problems and questions. Her father came back with this older government office worker gentleman who spoke some English. He was very cagey in manner of speaking. He kept asking, "I see you were officially divorced as of April 2001 but how can I know that you have not remarried since?" I told him several times that, in the US, we do not have any kind of documentation that would prove this. (Again, for me, another one of these 'proving a negative' scenes.) After 10 minutes or so of discussing the issue the answer dawned on me.

I thought to myself, "He's not asking me 'how he can know,' he's asking to provide him with the single certificate without actually asking me directly for it." I remember that we'd handed it to the marriage office person, who was all of 5 feet away, and I'm sure could hear the whole conversation. I stepped over and asked her for the document. I showed it to the old man, he grinned a big grin and said, "Yes, exactly!"

Again, as for who exactly we went to for the single certificate, I don't know. There was one office in CQ we went to who did a bunch of certifying of docs for us. The certified the copy of my passport and I believe they looked at the divorce records and created the single certificate. I will ask my wife and see if she remembers. All I really remember is that we did lots of running around to a bunch of offices, people took my money and did things.

A single-status certificate can be obtained from your state's vital records department. This document shows that there are no marriages filed in that particular state under your name.

It is required for marriage in China.

Oh,

So, if one got married in Las Vegas.... And was living in some other state, it wouldn't show up????

:o :o :o ;)

Guest blsqueaky
A single-status certificate can be obtained from your state's vital records department. This document shows that there are no marriages filed in that particular state under your name.

It is required for marriage in China.

Yes, in parts of China you will need this. I had to obtain mine from the Atty General office here in Ohio. This certificate is quite common. I know that even on the Atty General web site here in Ohio, there is even a link that you can click on to get all of the info.

A Certificate of Singleness. Single Certificate and Certificate of Marriagability are the same document. You can get it at the US consulate.If you are divorced bring the decree with you and bring your fiancee. She must fill out part of the application.

You go into the consulate, get the application. Go back outside. Fill out the application with you fiancee, then go back in and submit it. Wait around for a while. They will show you a typed version of your application and ask if it is correct (it won't be) correct it and wait again. They'll ask some questions about how you met, and then charge you $35.00. All done, go get married.

Guest blsqueaky

Okay now, after reading everyone's comments here, there was one question that was not asked, and that is again is ttlee's friend getting married there, or is he meeting her there, then applying for a K-1.

If they are getting married there, they his friend will need to show that he is eligible and single. I had to get the same certificate, and the consulate in GZ made me show proof that I was eligible.

I guess that what we are also forgetting here is that among the different regions in China, everyone is different in what they require. There have been marriages among is here on the CFL that have been in Beiijing, GZ, SZ, Shanghai, and everyone has been different in what they want as far as requirments, and also how long it takes. That is something that ttlee's friend has to find out.

My friend's fiancee will have her interview next month.  They are doing the K1 visa.  They are planning to get marry in USA. I don't think the single certificate is necessary.  Sorry for the confusion.

hi, I think it's better for your friend's fiancee to take it to interview since some k1 girls were asked to show their fiancee's notarized single certificate.

Well,eventho it doesn't make sense because BCIS supposed to have that I will still take it with me just in case.

good luck

francine & francine-gg

I looked on GZ's website under FAQ for K-1 Visas. It doesn't say your fiance needs a single certificate but it seems a little vague to me as whether the notatorial marital status certificate means single certificate or just divorce decrees. I was under the impression that a single certificate for the Chinese fiance was required. Now I'm just confused as usual.

Carl

What documents should I bring to the visa interview?

The applicant should bring the following original documents:

Forms in the appointment packet

Chinese passport

Application fee receipt

Four visa photos attached to forms DS-156

Notarial birth certificate

Notarial marital status certificate. If divorced before, previous divorce certificates for each marriage are required. If any child from previous marriage will also apply for visa, a divorce decree showing the child's custody is needed.

Notarial police certificates are required from each visa applicant aged 16 or over issued by his/her local municipal notary office where he/she has resided for at least six months since attaining the age of sixteen. Police certificates are also required from all other countries where the applicant has resided for at least one year.

Medical report

Affidavit of Support - I-134 and a copy of the most recent year tax returns from the petitioner.

Relationship evidence, such as correspondence and photos taken together to prove the claimed relationship to the petitioner

Translations: Police certificates from other countries not in English, or in the official language of the country must be accompanied by certified English translations. Translations must be certified by a competent translator and sworn to before a notary public.

...... notatorial marital status certificate means single certificate or just divorce decrees.  I was under the impression that a single certificate for the Chinese fiance was required.  Now I'm just confused as usual.

Carl

notatorial.. means pay money, or pay money now. there is some debate as to whether or not this should become the country moto. B)

But this is the official document bound with a cover letter in chinese and in english that attests that the document is in fact official and from an official government office. For us we have Bea's birth certificate, divorce papers and our marriage papers they also have the embossed seal on them.

The certificat of single ness or single guy paper as we called it, I got thru the vital records and another one from the city clerks office. It just says that from our records this person back to this date was never married. And I would think that yes.. you could go to the next state over and ge married and there would be no problem in China regarding this.

It is just like us in that we can't think of any other way of doing things than the way we do it, so the same for them. I mean just look at this police record thing??? If anyone asked if you had a police record in the states you would but sad to say yes as it means you are not a good member of society, you have a rap sheet!

In China everyone has a rap sheeet and there are 5 times more people there???? geeez being either a printer, paper maker or red ink supplier in China is a sure path to riches.. :(

So at some point you just have to think.. ok.. if you want a pic of me with the easter bunny.. sure thing! and yes i have a letter that states I have NEVER worn white after labor day, :(