The beginning of the end...

That was a close one. But we didnt get out of it unscratched.

I would like to say, for future reference to other CFL mebers, that when in Guangzhou, you need to protect your stuff. Especially your interview equipment, and especially when your away or at night.

Not just from people, but nature too.

We've been staying on the outskirts of GUZ. What looked like a godsend in comparison to zhengzhou's buildings, weve been staying for 30 a night in a relativly nice room. On the 3rd floor of an 8 floor building.

Last night, our room was flooded about 2 inches deep. In the mess of it all, my Mp3 player was destroyed, but thanks to a bag my mom gave me to store my interview equipment in, that happened to be waterproof, our documents are safe.

Had i stored them in a different place, we most certianly would have needed to rescedual, so close to the interview date- and theres no telling how much money that would have costed us.

The rain water came in from the 8TH FLOOR, and the only reason i was able to notice it, was when the toilet started making noises and the room began to stink.

Just a friendly reminder to those that stay someplace that may not be as top quality as a hotel- Keep your documents safe!

That sucks! Sorry, to hear this! When we were in Guangzhou, our apartment was entered twice by strangers who had keys. I hear what you're saying and couldn't agree with you more.

http://uschinak1.com/forums/index.php?show...mp;#entry526766

http://uschinak1.com/forums/index.php?s=&a...st&p=526944

Edited by shenzhen (see edit history)
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to say, for future reference to other CFL mebers, that when in Guangzhou, you need to protect your stuff. Especially your interview equipment, and especially when your away or at night.

We've been staying on the outskirts of GUZ. What looked like a godsend in comparison to zhengzhou's buildings, weve been staying for 30 a night in a relativly nice room. On the 3rd floor of an 8 floor building.

Last night, our room was flooded about 2 inches deep. In the mess of it all, my Mp3 player was destroyed, but thanks to a bag my mom gave me to store my interview equipment in, that happened to be waterproof, our documents are safe.

Had i stored them in a different place, we most certianly would have needed to rescedual, so close to the interview date- and theres no telling how much money that would have costed us.

The rain water came in from the 8TH FLOOR, and the only reason i was able to notice it, was when the toilet started making noises and the room began to stink.

Just a friendly reminder to those that stay someplace that may not be as top quality as a hotel- Keep your documents safe!

That sucks! Sorry, to hear this! When we were in Guangzhou, our apartment was entered twice by strangers who had keys. I hear what you're saying and couldn't agree with you more.

Never had this problem in the hotel next to IKEA. It cost 400 RMB/night but that is still cheaper than most hotels in USA. The same is true all over the world ... you get what you pay for .... this does not make GUZ a bad place ...

Never had this problem in the hotel next to IKEA. It cost 400 RMB/night but that is still cheaper than most hotels in USA. The same is true all over the world ... you get what you pay for .... this does not make GUZ a bad place ...

But at the hotel, I assume there were strangers going in and out every day for cleaning purposes?

30RMB per night would be insanely cheap. Nice.

But at the hotel, I assume there were strangers going in and out every day for cleaning purposes?

My hotel room was 40RMB each night. The room had a kitchen and security cameras with someone always watching.

... interviewed by the "Visa Killer" the African-American women and got a pink...

I am interested in the history of this "visa killer" because that is who we had in March and Yi said she was a really sweet lady. I wonder if we just had her one day of the month she is not on her period.... :rolleyes:

This is an urban legend another name is "Black Perl"

Keep in mind this has been going around CFL and 001 for as long as I can remember and before, no VO spends YEARS at that post.

Unfortunately many Chinese can be a bit racist and suspect that any black VO has it out for them, and any tend to single out any black VO as the "Black Perl"

Again it is an URBAN LEGEND!

Agreed, I'm from a small Texas town as well where White/Caucasian is the minority race (my race). It's a border town near the Mexican border (where they so happen want to build the wall, I oppose this). I've been called so many racial slurs by the Hispanics so I personally know how it feels. I don't hate them, some of my best friends are Hispanics.

The only reason I mentioned "Black Perl", was because it DID come up as one of the main conversation points by the Chinese girls. Especially at the medical check while waiting for things to be done. I wasn't too happy to hear about it personally.

To the OP: I had my father type up a letter of invitation inviting us to live with them and had him notarize it. It wasn't looked at, but it was also to help curb the domicile issue.

For us, no they weren't there to clean. Well, I say that - the first group may have been. The second time around guy was actually the landlord's husband showing a potential tenant the apartment. The Yangs do not own any of the apartments they rent out - they have an agreement with the people who do, to rent out their flats when the foreigners come to town. In this instance, the people who owned the apartment "did not honor the agreement" (Yangs words).

I agree with shenzhen, that this doesn't make Guangzhou, a bad place. I hope no one perceived that by my comments. Actually, I, probably more than my wife, enjoyed Guangzhou. Aside from those two instances, the entire experience was enjoyable and yes, the Yangs themselves were quite helpful. After the second time around, they just changed the locks. Problem solved.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)